Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 08:39 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,481,112 times

Advertisements

Good Business Week article about the national opioid problem, with a Forida focus:
American Pain: The Largest U.S. Pill Mill's Rise and Fall - Businessweek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 09:08 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,457,841 times
Loooooong before these pain clinics started popping up, there was a problem with Rx drugs down here.

Shady Doctor's have offices set up everywhere (I learned a lot from my old neighbors who, while they held prestigious jobs and made a ton of money.. couldn't get through the day without numerous pain pills - for recreation sake.) These doctors do not accept insurance, charge you $50/visit to get your Rx.. of whatever you ask for.

The first time I went to the dentist to get my teeth cleaned, he asked me if I wanted to take a Vicodin! What is that???!!!

Florida's too lenient with too many things.

You can get pretty much any drug you can imagine, any time of day, but you can't buy alcohol before noon on Sundays in Broward county...
Very odd

Old 02-13-2013, 01:22 PM

Reading the Business Week story gave me an idea. Maybe CNBC's prodding was NEEDED by the governor to blast people out of positions that everything is OK, nothing needs to be done. Of course, it could have been the opposite. Did Crist veto previous attempts? It is clear that some political problem prevented action till Florida managed to become the problem child in abuse of prescription drugs. I imagine the pharmaceutical companies weren't crying out for action. Legitimate pharmacists may have wanted change but feared a backlash that would hurt their business. Always something like this going on in the USA when problems get shoved into the future.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:49 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,659,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Takes a while for legislation except when TV has blown your cover! And, again, the problems of other states are irrelevant if the pills originated in Florida. People weren't buying loads of them to turn around and sell locally. They were on a supply trip for pills to sell illegally elsewhere. Seems like that point is hard for people to wrap their minds around. When you live in a state that tightly regulates pain killers, you need to travel to one that hardly regulates them at all. As for the last quote, I think I mentioned the opening of the pill mills in Georgia. Which kind of means the problem never needed to exist.
I guess for some it is hard to wrap your mind around the fact that the problem was not exclusive to Florida and the states you mentioned had the problems also. The legislature was in motion long before the news story came out. I guess you were looking for something that you could not find to back yourself up and that is why you started a thread on the Oregon forum asking people if what I said was true. Try doing your own research and then come back with something. Do you have a vested interest in this as I see you have a few threads in the Florida forums about issues?

Old 02-13-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
I guess for some it is hard to wrap your mind around the fact that the problem was not exclusive to Florida and the states you mentioned had the problems also. The legislature was in motion long before the news story came out. I guess you were looking for something that you could not find to back yourself up and that is why you started a thread on the Oregon forum asking people if what I said was true. Try doing your own research and then come back with something. Do you have a vested interest in this as I see you have a few threads in the Florida forums about issues?
The pain clinic phenomenon seems to exist mostly in anti-regulation states. If you read the Business Week article (though its long), you will see that. The USE problem is nationwide, but the supply problem, as existing within our national borders, is in states where the state government is laissez-faire. You seem to resist any kind of evidence thrown your way. But the federal government is not so "Forida First" and has taken action much more promptly than Florida (or Texas or Georgia)

Old 02-14-2013, 03:58 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,659,054 times
Quote:
The pain clinic phenomenon seems to exist mostly in anti-regulation states. If you read the Business Week article (though its long), you will see that. The USE problem is nationwide, but the supply problem, as existing within our national borders, is in states where the state government is laissez-faire. You seem to resist any kind of evidence thrown your way. But the federal government is not so "Forida First" and has taken action much more promptly than Florida (or Texas or Georgia)
Let's go back to your first post.

Quote:
Why are there so many "pain clinics" in Florida where multiple prescriptions of oxycodone can be filled for people who go from clinic to clinic. Just looked it up. The "marijuana problem" in places like Colorado and Washington have no recorded deaths linked to them. Oxycodone overdoses in Florida most recently were 1500 a year. But what do the news media delight in discussing ad nauseam. Those stoners in Washington. I've yet to hear Jay Leno tell a joke about Florida pain clinics.
You compared two completely non related issues, when that was pointed out and that the states you mentioned had just about as big a problem you then questioned the supply, I then pointed out that Oregon was probably the biggest supplier for Washington and Colorado being they were the 4th highest rate of sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
For 2010 Oregon had the 4th highest rate of prescription pain killers sold in the U.S. at 11.6 kilograms per 10,000 in population. Which could help answer you question in the other thread about where all the prescription drug overdoses in Washington and Colorado are getting their supply.
The above post was in the thread you started in the Oregon forum looking for answers since you obviously could not do the research yourself. See below.

Quote:
Is Oxycodone use any kind of problem in Oregon. Someone wrote that Colorado and Washington had some difficulties with use and fatalities.
I also pointed out that Florida has implemented a PDMP and did so before Washington and Colorado, yes there was a big problem in Florida and it was addressed, there is still a problem as there is in many states but it has been dealt with significantly.

As far as your statement, "You seem to resist any kind of evidence thrown your way.". I was the one providing statistics that countered your flawed statements, my posts caused you to start a thread in another state forum looking for help and you post articles about issues that have already been dealt with. The business week article shows how there was a problem with a big pill mill and that local Florida and federal LEO's arrested the people involved and those people are now in prison.

You can keep posting articles about how Florida has been dealing with the problem if you like but this will just reinforce that, Florida has been dealing with the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida