Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:13 AM

27,188 posts, read 43,876,617 times

Advertisements

Aren't there are other more pressing matters much more likely to happen we should be focusing our attention on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 08:47 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-a-lot View Post
But it seems like half the time they either shoot you before you have a chance to give up your money, or they kill you after you give up your stuff because if you`re dead there are no witnesses. It would be easier for you to win if they attck your house cus you know your house more than they do but even that would be tough. but on the streets if 2 or 3 people with guns approach you you`re pretty much finished unless they decide not to shoot.
Its called being caught between a rock and a hard place..
For most material possessions i wouldnt risk my life to save them or kill some one if he wanted them., family members are an entirely different matter.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:13 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,122,063 times
That's a great scenario so long as while you are helping the first guy to his YOUR car with YOUR stuff the other is raping your wife in front of your kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
I think I'd rather help a home invader out to his car with my Xbox and VCR than blow his head off in my living room in front of my wife and kids. And I own a gun.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:33 AM

571 posts, read 790,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
That's a great scenario so long as while you are helping the first guy to his YOUR car with YOUR stuff the other is raping your wife in front of your kids.
Do you know how rare the scenario you're describing is? Even if your home is invaded while you're there, the likelihood that violent crimes are then going to be perpetrated against you and your family are astronomically low, and they only increase when you pull out a gun. Winning the lottery type odds.

And every single police department in the country is going to recommend that in the unlikely event that something like this happens, that you cooperate with the home invader and wait for the police to arrive.

And also, in the scenario you describe there are two guys assaulting your family. I'm assuming that they're armed as well, right? How are you gonna shoot and kill two attackers when presumably they are going to invade your home in the middle of the night when you least expect it. So you're gonna wake from a dead sleep, realize you're being attacked, grab your gun, ready it to fire, locate the attackers. and like a Navy Seal, get kill-shots on two attackers while also making sure not to have your wife and kid's rooms in the line of fire in the dark before your eyes have even adjusted to the light.

It's paranoia, plain and simple. No different then people locating old missile silos in case the world ends. Nobody wants to take your stuff or kidnap your kids, sorry.

And I own a gun by the way, I'm not anti-gun whatsoever.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:58 AM

How rare? Home invasions? Take a minute and put "VIOLENT HOME INVASIONS" into your search engine. Then, after reading up on what happens during a home invasion, come back and tell me how rare it is. The odds may be low, that's great. It should be that way. But in the event of a quirk in the odds I am not going to be a victim. I will leave that to folks like you.

Maybe these folks cooperated too much: Ghastly Details In Conn. Home Invasion - CBS News

Quote:
Do you know how rare the scenario you're describing is? Even if your home is invaded while you're there, the likelihood that violent crimes are then going to be perpetrated against you and your family are astronomically low, and they only increase when you pull out a gun. Winning the lottery type odds.

And every single police department in the country is going to recommend that in the unlikely event that something like this happens, that you cooperate with the home invader and wait for the police to arrive.

And also, in the scenario you describe there are two guys assaulting your family. I'm assuming that they're armed as well, right? How are you gonna shoot and kill two attackers when presumably they are going to invade your home in the middle of the night when you least expect it. So you're gonna wake from a dead sleep, realize you're being attacked, grab your gun, ready it to fire, locate the attackers. and like a Navy Seal, get kill-shots on two attackers while also making sure not to have your wife and kid's rooms in the line of fire in the dark before your eyes have even adjusted to the light.

It's paranoia, plain and simple. No different then people locating old missile silos in case the world ends. Nobody wants to take your stuff or kidnap your kids, sorry.

And I own a gun by the way, I'm not anti-gun whatsoever.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:21 AM

571 posts, read 790,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
How rare? Home invasions? Take a minute and put "VIOLENT HOME INVASIONS" into your search engine. Then, after reading up on what happens during a home invasion, come back and tell me how rare it is. The odds may be low, that's great. It should be that way. But in the event of a quirk in the odds I am not going to be a victim. I will leave that to folks like you.

Maybe these folks cooperated too much: Ghastly Details In Conn. Home Invasion - CBS News
If you google "shark attack" I'm sure you'll get a lot of hits as well. You'd probably find a lot of articles where people mistakenly injure their families while strafing their own homes with gun-fire. Do you prepare for other equally far-fetched scenarios? Do you walk around with bear mace or wear a helmet? A brick COULD fall on your head...

I'm not even saying that I wouldn't use a gun in a home invasion scenario but...I also wouldn't be so quick to brag about how I'd blow someone's head off for stepping on to my property. If you want my TV so badly, take it, I'd rather buy a new one than have some 19 year old idiot slowly bleed out in my living room.

I'm not even criticizing your way of doing things, it's your right to blast away, but again, it's not recommended by a single police department in the US.

Here's an article that came up about a home invasion in Brooksville when I searched "spring hill fl home invasion".

http://springhill.wtsp.com/news/crim...shooting/71644

Some guy broke into an apartment wielding a an assault rifle demanding money, the idiot that was being attacked proceeded to tussle with the attacker. He's lucky he wasn't killed, if he would've just given the guy his damn wallet, he would've put himself out of harms way. Instead he wanted to be a hero a have a wrestling match with an armed man.

Last edited by punkfan39126; 12-13-2012 at 08:34 AM..

Old 12-13-2012, 08:41 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,621,525 times
If you live in a good area and you're not a criminal your chances of a home invasion are slim. A lot of the home invasions are people robbing drug dealers, or some other type of criminal.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:07 AM

I dont see the problem. A huge percentage of the population is armed at home. If someone dare to enter my home without my consent as they would be in deep doo doo. It is simple as that. I trained and continue to train on the proper use of a firearm. My firearm sits quietly. It makes no noise, does not harm. However, it is there and it will be there when, God forbid, I need it to be. Same goes for my sidearm.

Quote:
If you google "shark attack" I'm sure you'll get a lot of hits as well. You'd probably find a lot of articles where people mistakenly injure their families while strafing their own homes with gun-fire. Do you prepare for other equally far-fetched scenarios? Do you walk around with bear mace or wear a helmet? A brick COULD fall on your head...

I'm not even saying that I wouldn't use a gun in a home invasion scenario but...I also wouldn't be so quick to brag about how I'd blow someone's head off for stepping on to my property. If you want my TV so badly, take it, I'd rather buy a new one than have some 19 year old idiot slowly bleed out in my living room.

I'm not even criticizing your way of doing things, it's your right to blast away, but again, it's not recommended by a single police department in the US.

Here's an article that came up about a home invasion in Brooksville when I searched "spring hill fl home invasion".

Police investigate home invasion shooting | Crime | Spring Hill-Brooksville News

Some guy broke into an apartment wielding a an assault rifle demanding money, the idiot that was being attacked proceeded to tussle with the attacker. He's lucky he wasn't killed, if he would've just given the guy his damn wallet, he would've put himself out of harms way. Instead he wanted to be a hero a have a wrestling match with an armed man.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:04 AM
SXN

350 posts, read 1,289,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
If you live in a good area and you're not a criminal your chances of a home invasion are slim. A lot of the home invasions are people robbing drug dealers, or some other type of criminal.
or if people are located in a remote, rural area with no neighbors or any chance for someone to notice something is wrong and call for help. Like in that link Springhill posted.

Best thing you can do is introduce yourself to the neighbors and start looking out for each other whenever something just doesn't look right.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:53 PM

Do you really believe that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida