Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,199 times

Advertisements

I am somewhat stressing. We have a few years left before we move to the gulf side of Florida. We do have 1 pit bull - Katy - who is the absolute best. Loves dogs, people - pit bull lovers know I need not say more. We plan to sell our home here in New York and rent a home (not an apartment) for a few years in the St. Pete, Clearwater area. I am reading horror stories on line about breed specific landlords who won't give the time of day to a pit owner. Is it really going to be that bad? Giving her up is NOT AN OPTION.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 06:26 PM

3 posts, read 3,642 times
Broward county now has a ban against pit bull dogs. Very sad.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:46 PM

3,338 posts, read 2,141,544 times
Many landlords will not rent to owners of specific breeds, while others simply do not permit dogs over a specific, arbitrary weight limit. Others couldn't give a hoot if you kept a bear in the garage and a gator in the swimming pool. As I'm sure others have mentioned in the topic, it's the irresponsible owners and breeders that cause problems for the rest of the pet-owning population.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:50 PM

5 posts, read 10,234 times
Another thing to be aware of is that if you are a convicted felon, similar to gun ownership, you are not allowed to own a pitbull in the State of Florida.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:42 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,050,224 times
There are certain breeds that insurance companies will not insure you on. Whether your getting renters insurance or coverage for the place you buy, the community itself may not allow you to have certain breeds on the premises as well as be size restrictions.

Old 08-28-2015, 07:57 PM

192 posts, read 376,068 times
I'm going to catch flack for this, but screw it! Pit bulls are horrible dogs, they should all be put down. They are dangerous dogs.

If I were a landlord the very 1st thing I would do is ask...Do you have one of those mutts? If you do...keep looking.

I work in law enforcement and we've had calls during patrol of pit bull attacks on people and other small pets. We've had to take them out because of the carnage they have caused and because they have come after us.

I love dogs and love the dogs in our K9 unit, but Pitts are no good. I have no problem taking them out if they pose a threat to anyone.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:47 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ld75 View Post
I'm going to catch flack for this, but screw it! Pit bulls are horrible dogs, they should all be put down. They are dangerous dogs.

If I were a landlord the very 1st thing I would do is ask...Do you have one of those mutts? If you do...keep looking.

I work in law enforcement and we've had calls during patrol of pit bull attacks on people and other small pets. We've had to take them out because of the carnage they have caused and because they have come after us.

I love dogs and love the dogs in our K9 unit, but Pitts are no good. I have no problem taking them out if they pose a threat to anyone.
It's scary that someone so ignorant can be involved in law enforcement.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
It's scary that someone so ignorant can be involved in law enforcement.
I wouldnt call it ignorant for ld75 to express his views/experience from a law enforcement perspective..
IMO PitBulls are a dangerous breed,i dont trust them and wouldnt want my kids anywhere near them.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:55 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,042,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronte123 View Post
My family is looking to relocate to Florida...no special area yet but we are aware of the laws against pitbulls in Dade County. Our dog is NOT AGREESIVE and is a part of our family. If we are buying a home which will be filled with all the dynamics to keep HIM safe from being stollen (he is a show dog) or used as a fightin pitbull. We do not intend to give anyone in a gated community, condo, coop or senior citizen facility a fright and realize that some people fear these animals. Can you tell us what communities allow pitbulls and which ones have ordinances. Thank you.

"Our dog is NOT AGREESIVE"......
Famous last words from every pitbull owner right before it maims some child.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:03 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,042,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ld75 View Post

Well said.
There's not one single reason why anyone, other than someone involved in dog fighting, needs to own a pitbull.
They're unpredictable, prone to mental snaps, and when that does happen, the results can be tragic. If you want a dog for protection, get a shepard or Doberman.

But then the pitbull apologists will say "Well.....so and so has a lab, and he bit my neighbor."
Sure, lots of people get bit by a dog, but there's a big difference between when a lab or collie nips or bits and when a pitbull attacks.

They should all be exterminated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida