Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2012, 08:05 PM

372 posts, read 466,825 times

Advertisements

I had to think of a catchy title

So a few weeks ago a made an extensive trip over the eastern half of the US before I started fall classes. I had to head back down to Florida to visit family and friends. I lived in South Florida for several years and attended school at UCF. I was staying at my uncle's new place in Daytona Beach Shores. I had planned on making this specific thread the morning I woke up to watch the sunrise two weeks ago. At that current moment in time, I realized that no matter how much I looked down on Florida, I missed some of it. It was early in the morning and I was sitting about a block from A1A and could see the sun coming up over the ocean's horizon. There was no traffic and I could hear the waves crashing on the shore. The lights were starting to turn off on the buildings, and a new day was beginning.

My whole thesis to this thread is just to let people know I did enjoy my time in Florida, it just wasn't for me. I think so many people move to Florida thinking it is so great, but yet when it isn't what they want/wanted or it doesn't work out as planned, they bash it left and right. I dislike Orlando so much because I felt like chains ruled the place, and it was so fake and touristy. While in Daytona Beach, I stayed away from the boardwalk area because it is so tacky, but I loved some of the local restaurants (Our Deck Down Under had some of the best seafood I have ever eaten). I have traveled the world, most of my family is from Puerto Rico and calls Cleveland, New York, and West Palm home. I have seen so much of this great country, and still to this day consider Florida my second home. I enjoyed living in Jupiter and visiting the inlet with the beautiful blue waters and the Jupiter lighthouse.

As much as you see bashing of Florida on here, there is still so much to be proud of in Florida. What I wanted out of a state was to go back home here in NE Ohio. I wanted the culture of a northern city, public transit such as the rapid trains here in Cleveland, the awesome food in several neighborhoods, walkability, urban grocery stores, and the dense city streets. I am going to Case Western in Cleveland, live close to campus, and never need to drive my car. I am within walking distance of several grocery stores, and can go to Asia Town and shop in the Vietnamese, Chinese, and Korean grocery stores. I can stand on the bluffs of Edgewater Park and view the sailboats and jet skis out over the lake with the beaches and Cleveland skyline off in the distance if I ever miss the ocean. I didn't really have any of that in Orlando. I lived in Florida for a few years, but really missed what I had back up north, and began to appreciate life back north. But while I was sitting on the 19th floor of my uncle's condo watching the sun rise and hearing the waves crash along the shore, I realized I was starting to feel the same feelings for Florida; I began to appreciate what Florida had to offer. The only city I could see myself living in right now in Florida is Miami for the culture, mass transit, and neighborhoods. Florida has a lot more to offer than just Miami, though. I miss so much of Florida... the smell of the pines, floating down the Ichetucknee river, driving over the many intracoastals, the seafood, and the simple little restaurants like Bodega Blue in Vero.

Maybe I was in the moment, and vacation is a bit different than living there. But I certainly miss a lot of aspects about Florida. Florida is a great place. Overrated in a lot of areas (just like every other state), but there are so many great qualities about the state. Great universities, amazing scenery, and the weather is always a plus . Sorry if this thread seems random, but I thought back to my morning two weeks ago, and remembered that sunrise and the sound of the waves. I don't ever see myself moving back to Florida, but there are certainly a plethora of good memories in that state that I will never forget. I made so many great friends, and my family members that live down there love it. So as much as people may bash Florida on here, I am one person that will always remember Florida fondly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 01:15 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,516,878 times
It's nice to hear a positive reflection on Florida It was when I moved up north to New York City I truly began to realize how great Florida is. It was almost the exact opposite of your yearning for Ohio... I hated public transit and wanted the freedom of a car, missed the incredible autumn and winter weather, the beaches, the wildlife, Orlando's quirky and up-and-coming art and culture scene, the magic and the splendor of the theme parks. I still like the north, but I don't know if I could live there again. I guess it just goes to show that there's a perfect place for everyone, but that doesn't mean you can't appreciate the journey along the way to getting there. Good luck in Ohio!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida