Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 12:38 PM

4 posts, read 102,051 times

Advertisements

I am an Australian living in Miami, and came out to my car a couple weeks back to see a ticket for having an outdated registration sticker (showed expiration in 03-12).

I paid my registration renewal well in advance of expiration (and got the renewal and sticker) but totally forgot to affix it to the right corner of my plate.

Can i contest the fine on the basis that the vehicle was in fact registered at the time of the ticket? If so, what's the best way to do this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 05:36 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
Yes you should be able to contest the ticket and there should be instructions on the ticket on how to handle it.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:16 PM

515 posts, read 1,347,564 times
What was the citation actually for (the statute number)? There is a statute for expired registration and there is a statute for displaying a valid tag/decal. Just because you got the sticker doesn't mean that you can't get cited for not putting it on. It is possible to get a reduction in the fine depending on exactly what you were cited for if you show registration that was valid on the day of the stop, and that should be explained on the back of the ticket. Read all the options on the back and look for the one that explains dismissals if charged with certain violations (expired registration, no insurance, etc). If the statute number you are charged with is included in that paragraph then you can do it through the clerk's office without setting a court date. If not you can still set a court date, but you will probably be found guilty.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:46 PM

629 posts, read 1,720,778 times
A lot of times with stuff like this it just depends on the judge that happens to get the case. I've seen people show up with proof that they've corrected the problem and sometimes the judge says "thank you for fixing it, no fine" and other times they'll say "thank you for fixing it sir, but you were still in violation at the time of the ticket, please pay your fine at the clerk's office." If you think it's worth the hassle, show up to the court date, bring the current registration and CLEAR printed pictures showing the current decal now affixed on the car.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:30 AM

Thanks guys ill look at the specific citation number and go from there. I looked in the statutes and couldnt find any requirement for a decal to be displayed, only that registration be valid... anyway will let you know how it goes.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:58 PM

21 posts, read 168,978 times
yes, you should be able to contest, and odds are you will win. if the vehicle was simply sitting unused and you have the current registration, then yes, you should be able to prove that you registered the car, but since you were not using it, you didnt put the sticker on. Considering you are from Australia, you probably can convince a judge that you were there. My concern is a police officer just giving you a ticket. Where were you parked? if you were on private property, then they actually couldn't do anything unless the land owner filed a complaint.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:22 AM

Ok i have the citation. The citation is for violating sec 04/30-367- parking without valid license plate.

I should clarify that the car was parked (legally) in downtown Miami, was registered BUT did not have the new decal on it. The fine os only $33 so given the option of having to go to court I'll just pay it. Was hoping there was a simple way to show the car was actually registered at the time and have it dismissed.

Thanks again.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:14 AM

So this actually gets better.. The citation actually does not have my vehicles correct TAG. Adddtionally, when i look the citation up at the clerk's website, the tag associated to the citation is totally random (and different to that on the citation itslef), and there are no citations for my vehicle.

Im gonna ignore the citation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida