Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 05:54 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times

Advertisements

While it is true that you will not find places in Tampa Bay (or Florida) that LOOK like Alexandria, Arlington, Uptown Dallas or Lincoln Park, you will find many many places in Florida, and especially in Tampa, where people who USED to live in Alexandria, Arlington, Uptown Dallas or Lincoln Park now live. Yes, that's right, many people from those affluent areas moved to Florida and found the right spot to live in! So what I would advise you to do is find out where the Alexandrians, the Arlingtonians live now that they have moved to Tampa bay. For example, my boss lives in Bayshore Beautiful (south tampa) and he moved there from Great Falls, VA. Why did he move there? He says educated level of neighborhood, salary levels etc. You have IBM executives and CEOs and lawyers and doctors and directors of DC thinktanks living in these areas. A lot of the people who move from very affluent, urban, walkable, leafy areas in the Northeast and elsewhere choose South Tampa, not necessarily because it's so walkable or convenient. But because you have a higher level of education in these neighborhoods. Look at the Census data. In fact, South Tampa is FULL of former DC people. The Virginia license plates are all over South Tampa. The Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Wellesley flags fly in front of New Suburb Beautiful homes. That is what I would do. I would ask around, where do the DC people move to? Where do the Chicago people move to? More often than not, the 312 or the 202 people do not choose to live in a burb in Pasco or Pinellas County. I work in a bank and I just did a mortgage for a couple from Takoma Park MD who bought in Palma Ceia.

Last edited by sinatras; 06-26-2012 at 06:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 08:35 PM

200 posts, read 814,398 times
thanks for the advice!

Old 06-29-2012, 05:31 AM

35,700 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Tampa? it's not a city, it's a big town, do NOt expect the same. Money can flow everywhere, but culture is diff.- I miss Miami...n love NY.. sigh..

Old 10-13-2012, 05:24 PM

84 posts, read 226,815 times
Default 123 abc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
my recommendation would be to stick with Arlington, Uptown Dallas, and Lincoln Park. the white collar/young professional, educated, forward thinking vibe is elusive if not an illusion in florida. see thru the mirage and stick to the above spots. good luck

LOL this.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:03 PM

554 posts, read 977,400 times
It is totally different down here. In NOVA a guy with a BS degree making $120k a year was middle or even working class. Up there, even the lower end areas were still upscale. Bottom line is that while just about every part of NOVA was pretty upscale, in the bay area, you will have upscale neighborhoods surrounded by less then desireable areas. You may end up finding a good area with the same income and education levels but it will be a neighborhood, not a whole town or county.

For reference, I just moved to St Pete from Herndon. Herndon was considered a bit sketchy by NOVA standards but here is would be considered an upper middle class area.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:13 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
If there were, Florida/Tampa would have already be renamed: "Washington DC, Lincoln Park, Arlington, Alexandria"! etc.

What I find extremely amusing (because I have been to DC, NYC and other larger cities), is that these "highly educated" are looking for these tiny enclaves where they can hide and make no contact to the outside world! They are the LEAST neighborly ppl around, and that's probably because they live with this idea that "just because" they are super degree'd, they have nothing to talk about with the "commoners"! Quite racist and insulting, and uneducated IMO! You'll never see these people welcome someone new with cookies like ppl USED to do! Nope, they have video cameras all over, protecting their granite countertops that a fly can have these days....hilarious! hahahahahahaha I love watching these people's demeanor of how much precious they think they really are! It is really funny! Mainly because NONE of them will ever make a difference on this earth, nor will be remembered for something other than probably their large kitchen, and they'll all die the same way as the commoners, and won't be able to take their degree's with them to the grave!

I always read some posters here who are looking for that "ideal" image of "kids playing outside, parents barbequing", blah, blah, blah....and then you walk around and see nothing, and no one...with like 5 exceptions in the entire bay area. If human kind acted this way in the stone age, we may have never seen an iPad today!

This division created by this fake "preciousness" is disgusting! IMO! "Like Minded people"? as in you want to talk about work, at home too? hahaha yeah, that'll be so much fun!

I propose that realtors mark properties from now on with:
"4/2 Associate degree only
4/2 Bachelor's degree only
4/2 Masters degree only!
1/1 Tent High School diploma or GED"

Pathetic! we're ALL people!

Old 10-16-2012, 02:55 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,191 times
I'm always fascinated when people leave one place to find it's duplicate in another place. Why not save money, time, and aggravation and just stay wher you are?

Old 10-16-2012, 03:10 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat2009 View Post
Are there any areas in Florida that are extremely white collar/ young professional and feel like Arlington, VA or Alexandria, VA, Uptown Dallas, or Lincoln Park- Chicago? I am trying to find that here in FL. I know of Brickell and Coral Gables in Miami, Downtown FTL, and Winter Park, I have heard South Tampa/Hyde Park, is there anything else?
Palm Beach County has some areas as well. I would add West Palm Beach, Delray Beach and Boca Raton as all three have a significant white collar population. I disagree regarding Winter Park as it's a different vibe yet has the salary numbers of such a place. As a native Floridian and as someone who has lived in the Northeast US (DC, Philly, NYC) in terms of similar feel to places you mentioned I think only Brickell/Downtown Miami will offer anywhere near a similar vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida