Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 08:53 AM

378 posts, read 830,747 times

Advertisements

Eating someones face, purging 90 year old WWII veteran from voter roll, neighborhood watch guy shoots unarmed teen, etc. Years ago you could count on California to be the source of wacky crime and other news, but starting with Casey Anthony, Florida seems to crank out a new bizarre story every week that the press feels is worth national coverage. Could this news be keeping tourist, retirees and business from seriously thinking of moving to the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 09:08 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,318,604 times
Florida always is the brunt of weird news. I can remember 20 years ago they would have that national syndicated news about stupid criminals and almost always at least 80 percent were generated out of Florida. Since then there has almost been a cottage industry around it. Why that is has been discussed endlessly on CD. There has never been a consensus on whether people look for weird Florida news or that it just is and organically people hear about it.

My point is this: Where the heck have you been and it sure hasn't stopped anyone, yet.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:30 AM

162 posts, read 306,077 times
It hasn't put me off. I'm still moving down in August. What sucks is that people like my husband read these and use it as a reason not to move. Now he thinks we should stay in Maine where there's no people and nothing to do, but at least it's "safe". Like crime never happens here. No thanks, not me, I'm outta here!

Old 06-02-2012, 09:32 AM

17,542 posts, read 39,166,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
Eating someones face, purging 90 year old WWII veteran from voter roll, neighborhood watch guy shoots unarmed teen, etc. Years ago you could count on California to be the source of wacky crime and other news, but starting with Casey Anthony, Florida seems to crank out a new bizarre story every week that the press feels is worth national coverage. Could this news be keeping tourist, retirees and business from seriously thinking of moving to the state?
Florida has had a banner year in tourism, and business is up everywhere. Weird news comes out of every state, not just Florida. Few people give many of those stories a second thought (except for Case Anthony, and even now she has largely been quickly forgotten.)

Around my neck of the woods things are almost booming again. And the forums are still filled with people who are or want to move here, and even plenty who moved away and came back!

Old 06-02-2012, 10:00 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,845,174 times
Perhaps bizzare and overblown West Coast stories by the media have become so common that they have become the 'norm' .... which is hardly news. It used to be that the type of sensationalism that the media expends ink on ...appeared only in those alien abduction tabloids at the check-out counter --- Now, the daily 'news' ... has become a tabloid!

I'm not sure if today's communications glut has simply made us more aware of events that used to be localized ... or if the media has been pushed to new heights of sensationalism to sell newspapers.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:40 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,251,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbroker View Post
Thats nothing new. That kind of stuff has been happening there for ever.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:53 AM

326 posts, read 950,220 times
Before I moved to Florida a lot of years ago, I had read a few Carl Hiaasen books and thought that he had a whacked out, crazy, bizarre imagination. Now I know he just kept up with the local news.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:10 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,997,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForTheSea View Post
Before I moved to Florida a lot of years ago, I had read a few Carl Hiaasen books and thought that he had a whacked out, crazy, bizarre imagination. Now I know he just kept up with the local news.
+1

Carl Hiassen is a great writer as he really does nail the local culture in his books.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:42 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,040,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ForTheSea View Post
Love me some Hiaasen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Florida always is the brunt of weird news. I can remember 20 years ago they would have that national syndicated news about stupid criminals and almost always at least 80 percent were generated out of Florida. Since then there has almost been a cottage industry around it. Why that is has been discussed endlessly on CD. There has never been a consensus on whether people look for weird Florida news or that it just is and organically people hear about it.

My point is this: Where the heck have you been and it sure hasn't stopped anyone, yet.
The OP has an ebook to sell.

Florida is probably both: true weirdness, and hype. I do agree about the cottage industry.

Certainly it's been going on since long before Casey Anthony, though a sad event like that would not stop me from moving to a new state.
Colorado is more popular (and crowded) than ever despite the tragic murder of JonBenét Ramsey, the horrific massacre at Columbine High School, and a catastrophic forest fire, the worst in Colorado history, started by a distraught firefighter.

I read somewhere that the Sunshine State is America on steroids.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:29 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,318,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Love me some Hiaasen.

The OP has an ebook to sell.
I'm painfully aware of his "book" and the endless controversial threads he starts. He's also a Pennsylvania real estate agent. To lend some credibility, he peppers his comments with the occasional positive comment but then he starts threads like this.

Love me some Hiaasen, too!

Florida is a big state with a lot of personalities and cultures that diverge. It also seems to attract the occasional characters on the lam. But Whitey Bulger ran to California and Jeffrey Dahmer didn't live in Florida - so they don't corner the market on famous fugitives and cannibals. There are plenty of lunatics throughout this great land of ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida