Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 07:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,890 times

Advertisements

I'm a single 26 year old guy and I moved from Charleston, SC in Aug. to the New Tampa area. It's not working. My lease is almost up and I just wanted to come here and get opinions on where would be the best place to move. I've read a lot of threads on here where people get really defensive about Tampa and I'm really not putting it down, I just haven't found an area here that's a good fit for me. I really would just like someone to point me in the direction of somewhere similar.

I'm looking for an area that has local stores and restaurants and the same big box stores that every city has. Being "southern" in New Tampa it's quite hard break into the clique of New Tampa. So, any area that has a more southern not redneck or country, feel would be great. I like being on the water, I've grown up around boats and fishing, so boat up restaurants and bars would be great to find! Again, I'm in my twenties so I have to be around people my own age but I'm definitely into the club or super loud bar scene. I'd like to be near a contemporary Christian church, if you know of any close by.

There might not be anything like this around but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 07:49 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,076,698 times
Key West? You won't get the big box stores but it is a bit of Southern Island type things based a lot on the water and boats.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:17 PM

17,649 posts, read 39,472,490 times
You might be happier in Jacksonville. Being as far north in Florida as it is, it is far more "southern" in culture than further down the peninsula, and you still have your beaches. It's a larger city, so plenty of people your age. You might post more specific questions on that forum to help you decide if it might be for you.

Good luck!

Old 05-06-2012, 08:58 PM

2,973 posts, read 5,050,737 times
Asking about Charleston is not that much different than the "which city is most like NY" thread. Florida is Florida. Hold on tight and enjoy the ride.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:30 PM

501 posts, read 1,892,885 times
Thumbs up Jax!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You might be happier in Jacksonville. Being as far north in Florida as it is, it is far more "southern" in culture than further down the peninsula, and you still have your beaches. It's a larger city, so plenty of people your age. You might post more specific questions on that forum to help you decide if it might be for you.

Good luck!
I totally agree with this post - JAX is your place!

They have downtown waterfront villages, young professionals, charming neighborhoods and beaches. The culture shock would be almost a non issue and you could go back to Charleston for visits easily.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:39 AM

27,337 posts, read 44,616,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
I totally agree with this post - JAX is your place!

They have downtown waterfront villages, young professionals, charming neighborhoods and beaches. The culture shock would be almost a non issue and you could go back to Charleston for visits easily.
I totally agree. Check out the south side which has the most going on in terms of shopping, restaurants and such.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:32 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,565,880 times
I would agree with Jacksonville as well, maybe even St. Augustine.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,890 times
Thanks a lot, I'm heading to JAX tomorrow for work and will def. be paying attention to different places around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida