Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 11:56 PM

4 posts, read 37,580 times

Advertisements

We planned this bold move a couple of months ago, I gave notice at work (they're downsizing and it's already affecting my pay)... everything was set and in place but my friend had to back out at the last minute due to serious family issues until further notice.

I'm going to follow through with my plans without her although it's wiser, safer, to have a buddy when traveling and starting anew in a strange city, state.
It's also just as risky to advertise for a travel buddy, and with such a short time to get to know someone but I'd like to dabble in the possibility of talking with people who have similar goals as mine, which are simple... to find work that pays better than minimum wage or little more than minimum wage. And to work as much as possible in order to get beyond just making the bills.
I have my own transportation and a job when I reach Williston but no concrete plans for housing as its quite evident housing is hard to find in the oil-boom-town.
Although I'd prefer housing over camping out in my van, of course, lol, I expect to have to rough it out for a little while at a campground or church parking lot.
This sounds pretty bad I know, but I'm up for the adventure as long as I'm determined and goal oriented. My intentions are to (after getting settled) to return to college. First to take all the necessary classes needed to qualify as an office secretary/assistant with the intentions of working at an oil company as soon as possible. My child grew up on me and flew the coop, so now it's my turn to fly.
I also have to wonder if there are like minded people out there in the same situation.....

Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 12:02 AM

i forget to add that I'm leaving on May 5th.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:01 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,380,115 times
Dont get your hopes up as most people are moving the other way as they come to discover they just cant stand winter any more and have an overwhelming desire to move to Tampa..North Dakota? way too cold for most people.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:41 AM

629 posts, read 1,723,592 times
Best of luck in your move. If you're willing to work hard you can definitely make some money up there. I head out to Montana in the summers so it's been amazing to see the boom happening and all the money it's brought in.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:19 AM

19 posts, read 35,794 times
I live in North Dakota and you need to be warned about a few things. To say housing will be difficult to find is the understatement of the century. There is no place to live. Earlier Walmart allowed people to put campers out in their parking lot but they stopped that and now they are planning to stop allowing to sleep in their cars. Even if you don't get caught sleeping in your car you better make sure you get housing before winter is here. Sleeping in your car in north dakota means you could freeze to death over night. It does happen here when temps reach -20 and lower, with out factoring in windchill. Also most of the apartments are outrages, i am talking $2000/monthly for an efficiency.

Don't get me wrong, there is $ to be made but you better make sure you are prepared for some hard times if you don't find a place to live.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:55 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,015,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattiejean57 View Post
I live in North Dakota and you need to be warned about a few things. To say housing will be difficult to find is the understatement of the century. There is no place to live. Earlier Walmart allowed people to put campers out in their parking lot but they stopped that and now they are planning to stop allowing to sleep in their cars. Even if you don't get caught sleeping in your car you better make sure you get housing before winter is here. Sleeping in your car in north dakota means you could freeze to death over night. It does happen here when temps reach -20 and lower, with out factoring in windchill. Also most of the apartments are outrages, i am talking $2000/monthly for an efficiency.

Don't get me wrong, there is $ to be made but you better make sure you are prepared for some hard times if you don't find a place to live.
I agree...I live in the Grand Forks ND area (far removed from the oil patch) but I post frequently in the North Dakota forum. If not already done, I suggest the OP read that forum. The city of Williston is beginning to fight back some with more rules in regards to living RV's, cars, etc. They were kicked out of Walmart parking lot, and now rules in regards to RV's and campers on city streets, and then just recently rules in regards to the local community center, which some have been using as a hang out spot when not working.

Shower down: Parks and Rec. clamps down on homeless at Raymond Center - Williston Herald: News

If you have a job lined up, great...but hope there is housing. O/W it will be tough.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:34 AM

Good morning to all. Thank you so much for taking time out to inform me of the important issues and cautions, I really appreciate it.
I would have replyed much sooner than now but we, at work, were bombarded with unexpected business, overtime, so we jumped at the opportunity... I could only peek at the thread a couple of times this past weekend. Ive been viligent on the ND forum...reading as much as I can, its been extremely informative and the senior members are invaluable, imo.
I'm taking all the issues into serious consideration, thank you all again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida