Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 08:16 PM

108 posts, read 389,608 times

Advertisements

I am in Cocoa Beach right now but going ahead and planning ahead for next year. We are a family of 6, the 4 children are under age 10. We prefer to stay directly on the beach for ease of access. We come every year for 2-3 weeks. This year we changed things up and came for a extended spring break vacation instead of our normal time in early June when school is out. My hubby is loving the cooler weather and wants to come again next year in April. I am ready to find a new place to visit. We started coming to Cocoa years ago because it was near my grandmother, i lived near here as a child, and it was close to Orlando, not for more entertainment but less time traveling after flying all day. We have kicked around driving next year, but coming from CO, I highly doubt we will.

I researched going to the Panhandle, and I have been there once many years ago. My oldest child is learning how to surf a bit on our trips here and is protesting the lack of waves. Now I am clueless where to go to. Important features are a walk able beach, some waves, and not too far from a decent sized airport for a direct flight, 2-3 hours would be fine. Small towns are fine, we mostly just play on the beach and enjoy the warm weather. Any suggestions where to go would be wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 03:24 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Panhandle beaches are absolutely gorgeous. especially places like Grayton Beach.
South Walton County
But the earliest I have ever gone swimming there was the end of April, and your child might not get enough waves on the Gulf. There would be a couple airports to choose from, but you would probably have to make a connection.

I'm now on the northeast side of Florida, on a barrier island. Amelia Island The weather has been absolutely glorious, warmer than usual, but in my opinion the water is not yet quite swimmable without a wetsuit. I see plenty of people going in, though, so maybe I am a wuss. The JAX airport is north of Jacksonville, making it about 45 minutes away (an hour in heavy traffic.)

It's a lo-ong drive from Colorado. Take it from me, I've done it, we moved to Florida from there.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:56 AM

52 posts, read 133,279 times
We are also having an unseasonably mild spring this year, along with having had a mild winter. There are some years that have been too chilly in April to even consider going to the beach in northern Florida.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:25 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
Disney Vero Resort. Kids will love it and it's on the beach. Good for adults too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida