Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,792 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My job is very flexible currently and I am considering moving to a different part of the country for the next couple of years. Florida is one of the places I'm thinking of.

I would like to live somewhere close to the water because I sail and I also enjoy ocean activities like surfing, snorkeling, etc.

I'm 26 years old and I worry that a lot of places in FL are full of old people. I'd prefer a relatively young community, but not like frat boy type of community.

I definitely want a place where things are open late, there are a variety cool bars and different types of restaurants/cuisines. I'm guessing that means I'll have to be relatively close to a larger city but maybe not.

Just list off a couple places you think would fit the bill and I'll start researching.

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 07:53 PM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
In terms of surfing that pretty much limits you to the Atlantic coast as the Gulf side has little if any wave action. Fort Lauderdale would be my recommendation with it's variety of restaurants and nightlife as well as surf/sailing options.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:01 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Sebastian Inlet near Melbourne is probably one of the best spots to surf in Florida. The Keys are the best place to snorkle. Cool Bars, Restaurants you'd have to look at Tampa, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Palm Beach for these things.

Old 04-10-2012, 02:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,792 times
Thanks for the responses. It sounds like Ft Lauderdale would be best.

For a second choice to check out, would you say Palm beach or Miami would be better for me? Do the Keys have much of what I'm looking for besides snorkeling or are they just kind of touristy?

Also, I might be OK with no surfing if there was sailing and other cool ocean things to do. So for the gulf side you mentioned Tampa but are there any other places I should check out there?

Old 04-10-2012, 03:43 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scabby View Post

For a second choice to check out, would you say Palm beach or Miami would be better for me? Do the Keys have much of what I'm looking for besides snorkeling or are they just kind of touristy?

Also, I might be OK with no surfing if there was sailing and other cool ocean things to do. So for the gulf side you mentioned Tampa but are there any other places I should check out there?
As a young man living in Florida (12 years ago), I found it very mind numbing to be young and try to have a decent night life that didn't include obnoxious music and dj's, even more obnoxious people, women that think they're perfect and guys that think they're one of the idiots from Jersey Shore.

Then, you have the kids sneaking into places, Ybor City was BAD for 13-16 year olds drinking and partying at 2am on weekends.

I sent you a more personal reply via DM.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:31 AM

2,962 posts, read 5,000,742 times
At 26 I'd have to say Miami.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:05 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scabby View Post

For a second choice West Palm Beach would be a good option. The Keys does not have much of a surfing element but snorkeling is fantastic there. The problem with the Keys is that it's very expensive to live in and there is little in the way of full time work. On the Gulf side I'd recommend St Petersburg rather than Tampa. Check out a map, Tampa is more inland and removed from coastal activity unlike St Pete which is surrounded on three sides by water. If you plan to make water recreation a regular part of your life driving 30-45 minutes or more to get there isn't going to be a lot of fun.

St. Petersburg, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-10-2012, 07:02 AM

73 posts, read 175,793 times
If I were in your shoes, I'd be an apartment nomad for a few years and find out what I liked. You might not like what you can afford in Miami compared to the other places.

There's pretty decent age segregation everywhere. You won't have to wade through the elderly. You'll just have to deal with them on the road. "Speed matchers" that create rolling roadblocks.... But you get that everywhere. I find Toyota Avalon drivers to be the worst.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:26 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I think Miami and Ft. Lauderdale are the best choices for a young guy wanting night life and surfing. The keys are too expensive and touristy, I would not recommend it. At your age you can move around and find what you like best, but for your situation these are my recs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida