Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 01:14 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,178,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Fl driver license site is old news dated 2009
Post card you will receive is revised as of 7/01/11
All info is at gathergoget.com

I guess they messed up when I got mine then.??????? I still do not see the change to only at the office on 2 main sites????

From gather go get.......http://www.gathergoget.com/online/default.aspx

Online Services

You must visit an office in person:
  • if you are applying for your first driver license or identification card
  • when your current credential expires and you have already used the one-time "convenience" renewal option
  • if you legally change your name (eg: by marriage or divorce)
Can I still renew online or by mail?
You are allowed to renew one time by a convenience method (Internet or mail). Your next renewal must then be in a driver license office. For example, if you renewed your license online in March 2009, you will need to visit a driver license office for your next renewal.

Not everyone needs to visit an issuing office in person.
You can renew a license online. Holders of a Florida driver license issued since 2002 may renew at their local driver license office, on-line or by mail. You may renew your license up to 18 months prior to expiration.
If you don't need to come in, we encourage you to skip the trip and renew online at www.GoRenew.com. You can renew your driver license, identifications card, vehicle tags and change your address.

More information about renewing

If you do need to visit an issuing office, then make sure you study the new document requirements and print out a document checklist. You can also use the On-line Appointment Service and Information System (OASIS) to schedule an appointment, or find an office near you.

Also in the 2012 Forida Driver's license Handbook

"3.3.3 - Renewal Options
Drivers who are U.S. citizens or immigrants may use a convenience method for every other renewal. Persons holding a non-commercial driver
license may renew using one of the convenience methods listed below.
Mail
You may receive a mail-in renewal packet approximately 30 days prior to your license expiration. There are no additional fees for renewing by
mail.
Internet
You can renew by internet at www.GoRenew.com.
After your request is processed, you will receive a six or eight year license. Florida law requires that you destroy your old driver license after receiving the new license.

Last edited by Rabflmom; 03-11-2012 at 01:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 01:01 PM

1,722 posts, read 3,749,801 times
I renewed mine in 2009 before the change in rules...thankfully. I won't have to fool with it until August of 2018.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:32 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
My birthday is in March. I was told that I could renew my registration online, but I also wanted to change my address. So it cost me an extra $25 to get a change of address on my driver's license (with my old photo) which was mailed to me after completing an online form.

However, I will need to go in person when my license expires, because I already renewed it once. You can renew it only once by mail or online.

Renew by Mail
If you are eligible to renew by mail, you will receive in the mail approximately 45 days before your birthday a renewal application.

"if you are eligible" means that you've only renewed your license once by mail or online. The next time you need to go in person.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:40 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,082,060 times
All replies off topic. I didn't start this thread to argue about whether you could renew in person, on line, by mail or carrier pigeon. I started the thread as a concern for the amount of personal information the state is gathering on its citizens, who has access to it and how safe is it being stored from hackers.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:51 PM

Oh, I was only responding to the question about renewing your license. Anyway, I wonder if it's safe, but what can we really do about it? I hate all the cameras at intersections too. It's bad enough they're everywhere we go. Sometimes when I'm sitting in a bathroom stall I look for a camera. One time someone told me she was going to join Life-Lock so I asked how she knows the company that supposedly protects you from Identity Theft isn't stealing your identity. After all, it must have disgruntled employees and hackers too. I think the days of personal privacy are over, but this isn't Florida-specific.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:02 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,178,667 times
Quote:
All replies off topic. I didn't start this thread to argue about whether you could renew in person, on line, by mail or carrier pigeon. I started the thread as a concern for the amount of personal information the state is gathering on its citizens, who has access to it and how safe is it being stored from hackers.
There was a hi -jack guestion about thinking you could renew on line.....and just responded to the sort of rude reply you gave......"quote from you .....Anybody telling you any different from the above doesn't know what they are talking about............

Just wantecd to let you know some of us do......sorry if it upsets you.....

Back to topic.....almost everything we do puts something about us on the computer for someone to steal....Our banks,doctors, schools, companies we do business with, even this site and Face book by our own posts and pictures put info out there for others to possibly use... Own a house and some info about you is on line from where it is located with a map to get there, how much you paid, the taxes you pay, whether you are delinquent, etc. Get a ticket for speeding, shoplift, court dates etc.....public records easy to access .

Want to get scared....Spokeo.com and even white pages lead you to sites to buy info about others. Even google and yahoo for example can map to you if someone puts in your address ......

Old 03-12-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
Want to get scared....Spokeo.com and even white pages lead you to sites to buy info about others. Even google and yahoo for example can map to you if someone puts in your address ......
The first time I thought about this was in 2009 when I used Google maps to get directions from Vero Beach to my previous address in Bonita Springs, and the street view with a photo of the house showed my car parked in the driveway!

The ancestry web sites offer the social security numbers and dates of birth of people who are dead. I didn't think they were so easy to get, but just Google the name of your parents or grandparents if they passed away and words like social security or date of birth. Within a few months of my Dad's passing, all this info was on the internet on one of those family search sites. So I guess using those dates for your security questions on a bank or credit card site isn't a good idea. I suppose it's because the social security death index is public information, but it was strange to see all of it in front of me on my computer monitor. For example, if my last name is Stephens (it isn't) I'd get [URL="http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/customsearchresults.asp?LDS=3&last_name=Stephens"]this page,[/URL] click on the name and get lots of personal information.

Speaking of those sites you mentioned, if you look me up by my current name, the info includes my former married name that I haven't used in 30 years!!

Yup, as I said before, there's nothing we can do about it! Ouch, that microchip in my neck is bothering me.

Last edited by justNancy; 03-12-2012 at 11:31 PM..

Old 03-13-2012, 06:34 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,127,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
The first time I thought about this was in 2009 when I used Google maps to get directions from Vero Beach to my previous address in Bonita Springs, and the street view with a photo of the house showed my car parked in the driveway!

The ancestry web sites offer the social security numbers and dates of birth of people who are dead. I didn't think they were so easy to get, but just Google the name of your parents or grandparents if they passed away and words like social security or date of birth. Within a few months of my Dad's passing, all this info was on the internet on one of those family search sites. So I guess using those dates for your security questions on a bank or credit card site isn't a good idea. I suppose it's because the social security death index is public information, but it was strange to see all of it in front of me on my computer monitor. For example, if my last name is Stephens (it isn't) I'd get this page, click on the name and get lots of personal information.

Speaking of those sites you mentioned, if you look me up by my current name, the info includes my former married name that I haven't used in 30 years!!

Yup, as I said before, there's nothing we can do about it! Ouch, that microchip in my neck is bothering me.
They no longer need to put microchips in our necks. They already have mini computers in each of our pockets (cell phones).

Old 03-13-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
They no longer need to put microchips in our necks. They already have mini computers in each of our pockets (cell phones).
So true. I never realized how emails are monitored too. Then there's all that info on the credit card magnetic strips and driver's licenses. If a car has a built in navigation system, which many do, you can track where it's been. Wonder how many "cheaters" got caught by their spouses that way?

Old 03-16-2012, 03:49 PM

509 posts, read 1,680,981 times
Quote:
Fl driver license site is old news dated 2009
Post card you will receive is revised as of 7/01/11
All info is at gathergoget.com
Hmmm... who to believe about renewing a driver's license? Maybe the State of Florida's website!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida