Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 02:24 AM

206 posts, read 573,593 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am from NY. I sold my home there by myself with no problem.
But it doesn't seem that I see much of this in St Augustine.
I have a place in Quail Hollow that I am considering selling, and would like to do it on my own.
Has anyone had success with this?

I would appreciate any input.
My main concern would be that I am familiar with NY real estate law and closings (was in that business). But things are a bit different down here.

Thanks
Charlene

PS I have a realtor...but it is a question of getting the most cash out of the property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 06:26 AM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
In a sellers market one can expect reasonable success with For Sale By Owner, however in our current extreme buyers market the expectation for selling on your own is far-fetched at best. If you have other homes for sale around you your chances will increase, but most buyers here don't like dealing with FSBOs as they're notoriously difficult to deal with in terms of showing, financing and closing...plus the seller often has unreasonable expectation for the value of their home.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:15 AM

509 posts, read 1,679,840 times
We bought our house in Melrose directly from the owner and, 8 years later, sold it the same way - no problems! Because we sold it ourselves, we did not have to up the price to pay the realtor's commission just to make the money we wanted.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:41 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
In a sellers market one can expect reasonable success with For Sale By Owner, however in our current extreme buyers market the expectation for selling on your own is far-fetched at best. If you have other homes for sale around you your chances will increase, but most buyers here don't like dealing with FSBOs as they're notoriously difficult to deal with in terms of showing, financing and closing...plus the seller often has unreasonable expectation for the value of their home.
This ^^^. In this market, you will have a tough time. Most people do NOT want to deal with FSBO's here. They don't want to negotiate directly with the seller, plus the problem of escrow payments, etc. and being able to see it at the drop of a hat which is all so much easier with a realtor.

I have bought and sold directly, but have also used realtors, in this market, my opinion, a realtor is the way to go.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:06 AM

378 posts, read 829,609 times
If you want to try FSBO before giving to an agent call around to find a title insurance co that will help you and even provide you with a basic legal contract. Advertise for free on zillow, trulia, and craigslist, this is where you will find buyers looking for fsbo's. Since many seniors don't know about or trust these places and most qualified buyers in FL now are older, it will be a tougher route.

In a fast market, most can sell without an agent. In FL right now, you may get the most out of the property (net) by giving it to your Realtor.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:44 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
[quote=kyle19125;23264190]In a sellers market one can expect reasonable success with For Sale By Owner, however in our current extreme buyers market the expectation for selling on your own is far-fetched at best. If you have other homes for sale around you your chances will increase, but most buyers here don't like dealing with FSBOs as they're notoriously difficult to deal with in terms of showing, financing and closing...plus the seller often has unreasonable expectation for the value of their home.[/quote]

I've noticed this too. FSBO homes always seem to be priced a lot higher to comparable homes nearby.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:51 PM

509 posts, read 1,679,840 times
[quote=Not_liking_FL;23372367]
Quote:
I
I've noticed this too. FSBO homes always seem to be priced a lot higher to comparable homes nearby.
That wasn't our experience.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:28 AM

1,490 posts, read 1,213,673 times
Quote:
This is by far the majority of FSBO experiences people see in FL and its why you don't see a lot of them in this market. They also tend to stand out like a sore thumb due to the FSBO seller putting things in there a typical listing would not (such as..."discount for buyers with no realtor!"...honestly, don't do this as realtors are the norm and won't be inclined to look at your property with that in the description).

But for somebody who can be very objective, do the analysis on the comps (to the best of your ability via public records), and generally just "gets it" when it comes to real estate...I think you can do it but you really need to make it as EASY to work with as possible for realtors & buyers alike.

I've done (essentially, though not technically) a FSBO via those types of sites that will put you on the MLS for a nominal fee, provide you with typical documents such as contracts (some even provide a lockbox for you so realtors can get in your property without you being there), & then its basically up to you to do the rest. I had call after call where the realtor had no idea I was the owner since it is basically listed by a real company. In this case, the listing company just doesn't do any of the leg work for you such as advertising (beyond MLS posting w/ pics you provide), showing the property, or being part of the offer review process. Basically they post it on the MLS & its up to you from there.

If you go that route you should also plan to list on the common buyer search sites as well. Since you are NOT a FL realtor, I would not feel inclined (personally) to disclose this in your listing (such as owner is realtor...since you technically are not a realtor). I wouldn't be dishonest about it or anything when asked if you are the realtor but in all honesty many realtors won't know you're a FSBO unless (a) you tell them and/or (b) they know that particular MLS listing company (some will...some won't).

It can be done but you need to really do your homework. Most people (especially out of state) don't tend to have the time to do it unless this is their thing (buying & flipping). Also remember, you are acting as your own realtor so don't try to get cheap by offering less buyer realtor fees or something in your MLS or other listing as I can assure you they won't look at your listing unless a client demands they see it (and can you blame them?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: