Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2006, 09:41 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,521,390 times

Advertisements

I've been answering a few questions about the central east coast of Florida, but I know very little about the west side. Our "family compound" is 7.5 acres a few miles west of Okeechobee. My daughter and son-in-law have a house on 2.5 acres and my wife and I own the 5 acres next door. The area is a platted "ranchette" area zoned Rural Residential; minimum lot size for a dwelling is 2.5 acres.

Our family situation is changing. My son-in-law will soon be working in the Clearwater area. He and my daughter will give it a year to see how it all works out, but they may be moving to that area (with my 3 grandkids).

His job has a residency requirement that he live in Pinellas, Hillsboro or Pasco county. Until they make a decision to make a permanent move, he'll establish residency over there with family and commute back to Okeechobee on off period.

I can see which way the wind is blowing, however. I think he'll be successful at the new job. My daughter is a teacher and doesn't really want to leave this area, but she has admitted to me a tiny, deep-down thrill at the idea of being able to start fresh with a different program. Finally, there is no way that I'll be able to convince my wife and our daughter that Grandma and Grandpa should live anywhere but next door (as long as there's enough distance between the houses).

The one thing that none of us wants to do is sacrifice the room and freedom we have within our combined 7.5 acres. I need a place for my tractor and excavator and my s-i-l needs a place for his 4 wheeler and we do lots of landscaping.

So. Where are the small acreage parcels or the ranchettes in Hilllsborough or Pasco county? We want a fairly upscale/middle class area with nice homes, but no estates or mansions. On the other hand, no shacks/trailers/junk cars. With 3 grandkids currently under 6 years old, good schools are imperative. No dirt roads. Closeness to the beach is not important, but nearness to water to launch a pontooon boat is a bonus.

What should we expect to pay per acre? Our land in Okeechobee is currently worth about $60,000 per acre, unimproved.

Any other recommendations appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2006, 02:34 AM

125 posts, read 507,238 times
Oak Lakes off of CountyLine on the pasco side. There are a couple of homes for sale. Very nice neighborhood. Homes only
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: