Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2011, 09:10 PM

3 posts, read 5,132 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Thank you for all of the information, I have been trolling on Florida's page for a couple of months.

My husband and I are looking to purchase a second single family home in FL in the next couple of years. A bit about us, we are in our mid-30's with no kids and no plans to have any, with two large newfoundland dogs. We own a business so commuting will be a non-factor for us since our HQ will remain in Mpls. In the mean time we will be heading down to FL for a month this coming February/March to get feel for what city we "fit" in. What I am looking for is some advice on what city(ies) would fit us that we should check out on our "tour".
Here are our wants: budget is up to $180,000, a single family home (Big Dogs), fairly close to the beach on the gulf side (Big dogs are certified H2O rescue dogs and love swimming), close to nightlife, close to theaters , in a safe area.

We have already spent time in Orlando, Miami, Drove down the Keys, and Cocoa Beach. Of those the Keys were the best fit for our likes however our budget isn't going to get us much there .

Thanks for any advice, I really appreciate it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 09:51 PM

501 posts, read 1,884,145 times
Arrow Chart More Courses!

Florida is a BIG State, and based on your OP (esp your liking of the Keys and it being out of your budget) means you've only explored just a tiny bit and still have a LOT of exploring to do for remote areas of the State -- esp. the Gulfcoast beaches from Tampa to Naples, the Panhandle and also the Atlantic Coast from Jax to Ft Lauderdale!

Before "rushing in" to make a decision right now, I think you should instead plan a few more exploration trips of the other areas of the State you've missed to see what may strike you.

The best advice I can give you at the moment is to research what your options are presently for NON-STOP flights from MSP to WHICH FL airports? This is VERY important of your options of commuting regularly to your new place and what areas would be realistic for you to buy.

Also, just because Sun Country Airlines has nonstop service to a FL city -- doesn't mean it's year round service -- Delta most likely will have a monopoly (and HUGE fare differences) during this service gap period if/when you need to get to your new pad for a planned break or emergency!

If you find an area you like a lot, I would consider renting first so you can see if the fit is right for you -- and what area of town you end up attracted to the most. FL Condos esp. can be full of MANY unforseen surprises with fine HOA print/assessments/insurance/maintenance, etc. and also your new (possibly psycho) neighbors!

Good Luck!

Last edited by daytonadewd; 09-13-2011 at 10:00 PM..

Old 09-13-2011, 10:01 PM

Thanks for your quick response!! We were kind of thinking of staying a week each in Tampa, Sarasota, FM, and Naples on our trip in February/March. I am not too concerned about flights for the long term since we plan on spending 5 months down there once we actually purchase something and with two big dogs driving will be the way we get there, yuck long long drive , did it once on spring break said I'd never do it again....what a difference 13 years makes . We will probably rent the first year in the area we want to buy to make sure we like the area. Thanks again!

Old 09-13-2011, 11:17 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,172,452 times
I'm obviously misunderstanding the OP's post and dewd's. I took the Op's post to mean their business is in Minneapolis, but they'll be staying part of the year in Florida, and can run their business from here. And they want something close to the gulf, but have been looking at Miami, Orlando & Cocoa?

So, here's how I'm reading your criteria:

Gulf Coast
Single-family home, probably with a fenced-in yard!
Close to nightlife & theaters
Dog-friendly beach
Low crime area

With rock-bottom real estate prices in some areas, you should be able to find something near the beach around the St. Petersburg area. The Tampa Bay area has a lot to offer, but the action in Tampa is a bit of a drive from the beaches.

You have to prioritize. Are the dogs & beach more important than nightlife?
And what kind of nightlife? Clubs, local bars? Theaters, as in cinemas, or theaters, as in Broadway shows?

You may not have thought about St. Augustine Beach, although it's east coast.

Fly into JAX, check out St. Augustine and Flagler Beach. Then head over to the west coast.

But always, rent something in the neighborhood before you buy!

Good Luck!

Old 09-13-2011, 11:37 PM

501 posts, read 1,884,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyLee3 View Post
I am not too concerned about flights for the long term since we plan on spending 5 months down there once we actually purchase something and with two big dogs driving will be the way we get there, yuck long long drive , did it once on spring break said I'd never do it again....what a difference 13 years makes .
Gee, I hope you don't have an unexepected family emergency or death back home the 5 months you're staying here or a broken pipe, fire or hurricane/disaster at your FL pad while you're back up north!

I guess you can stew/simmer on these problems as you're driving back/forth 3 days (each way) or waiting for 4 hour plane connections at the airport.

Last edited by daytonadewd; 09-13-2011 at 11:53 PM..

Old 09-14-2011, 06:34 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,027,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyLee3 View Post
Hello,

Thank you for all of the information, I have been trolling on Florida's page for a couple of months.

My husband and I are looking to purchase a second single family home in FL in the next couple of years. A bit about us, we are in our mid-30's with no kids and no plans to have any, with two large newfoundland dogs. We own a business so commuting will be a non-factor for us since our HQ will remain in Mpls. In the mean time we will be heading down to FL for a month this coming February/March to get feel for what city we "fit" in. What I am looking for is some advice on what city(ies) would fit us that we should check out on our "tour".
Here are our wants: budget is up to $180,000, a single family home (Big Dogs), fairly close to the beach on the gulf side (Big dogs are certified H2O rescue dogs and love swimming), close to nightlife, close to theaters , in a safe area.

We have already spent time in Orlando, Miami, Drove down the Keys, and Cocoa Beach. Of those the Keys were the best fit for our likes however our budget isn't going to get us much there .

Thanks for any advice, I really appreciate it!!
Maybe my coffee hasn't kicked in yet but after rereading your responses could not figure out what they were trying to tell you.

Given your criteria for housing cost, proximity to the beach, being near entertainment and of course someplace safe I'd recommend Clearwater or St Petersburg (north or northeast side). You'll find a good choice of homes in the older, well established areas of town (some with pools) that'll provide all that you're looking for. It's 30 minutes or less to Tampa International which will offer plenty of flight options.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:42 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,778,094 times
The Sarasota area is lovely. Very cosmpolitan and good access to both Tampa and Sarasota/Bradenton airport. I also enjoy the Ft Meters area, although, it is a little more pricey than Sarasota.

The keys are nice, however, getting on and off them can be a real pain during a hurricane mandatory evacuation.

I would snoop around a little more before I bought anything.

Good Luck!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:51 AM

Thank you for your responses. Sorry if my original post confused some.

To add onto my original post. Since we toured the East coast of FL a couple of years ago we decided it was not for us. My sister's family just moved from FM back to NOVA and we loved visiting them there......I am no where near set on FM but I am set on the Gulf Coast.....especially after spending a month on the East side.

I was born and raised in NOVA so traffic is a non-issue.

I am not concerned about emergencies, partially because I don't live in a worst case scenario world my mom does so I learned at an early age there is no point in worrying about things you can't control. Emergencies will happend and we will deal with them when they come up. Obviously if they did we would fly to wherever we needed to be.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida