Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2006, 10:11 AM

238 posts, read 669,469 times

Advertisements

The Sun- Sentinel, Look On The Right And Read Numbers 3,4,5 And 20(click On More Stories For 20) And Under More News " Public School Enrollment Drops For First Time Since 1971 . Its Sad To See This State So Bad Off . I Will Forever Miss The Old Florida ! Esp The Way Naples Was Back In The 80's , Now That Was Paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2006, 07:48 PM

144 posts, read 825,132 times
S Florida hasn't been well for awhile. I sure do miss the Florida of the 70s and 80s but can't change growth so I left.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:19 PM

i knew it was bad ,but not that bad - i was in the tampa area - but like you we have also moved "to georgia "and i have to say ,its so much better! i remember the florida from the same time periods as you as i was a fourth generation floridian . i hope you like your new state also . native gone tourist

Old 09-10-2006, 08:23 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,219,959 times
Default ga over fla???

no way. please tell me what it is about ga. i am not knocking you or ga, in fact, i am glad you like it there, but i really dont see it. it is cheaper in ga i am sure, but what other advantages???

Old 09-10-2006, 09:05 PM

26 posts, read 46,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotrod View Post
The Sun- Sentinel, Look On The Right And Read Numbers 3,4,5 And 20(click On More Stories For 20) And Under More News " Public School Enrollment Drops For First Time Since 1971 . Its Sad To See This State So Bad Off . I Will Forever Miss The Old Florida ! Esp The Way Naples Was Back In The 80's , Now That Was Paradise.
The Sun-Sentinel is all gloom and doom. That way they sell more newspapers. That rag has no credibility whatsoever.

School enrollment fluctuates in any school district. That doesn't mean that "this state is so bad off." There hasn't been a decline since 1971 -- that's 35 years ago. If anything, this gives the school district a breather from decades of explosive growth.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:26 AM

David And Back To Fl - I Am Glad You Are Making It Here And Still Love It. There Is Nothing Wrong With That! Just Try To Understand That Us Natives Were Very Adept At Making It In This State On The Wages Due Too We Knew No Different And The Cost Of Living Was Low . Now These Same Wages Can No Longer Keep Up With The Cost Of This State . And No ;i Do Not Just Blame The Northerners . Its Also All The Hurricanes ! The Heat Has Also Become A Bear , It Was Never This Hot And Humid , I Really Do Believe Its Globle Warming. As For Ga , Its Not Just That Its Cheaper And They Pay More - Yes , They Do Have A State Tax , But You Also File A State Income Tax And Get This Money Back Just Like Your Federal Income Tax . We Moved Into The Foothills Of The Blue Ridge Mtns . You Can Actually Drive Without Traffic All Around And The View Is Awesome. I Am Only 20 Miles From Gainesville , Ga Which Is Equal To The Tampa Area And It Only Takes 20 Mins As The Speed Limit Is 60 And No Traffic. The Lakes Are Beautiful With No Gators And Huge , Huge ,huge. It Is A Slower Pace And I Will Have To Defuse From Being In Tampa. Now That Being Said , I Will Miss Florida But You Have To Understand , I Have Been Missing The Florida I Loved . Man I Remember Going To Fort Desoto And Clwtr Beach And You Could Find A Spot Without Crowds .. There Were No, Two Hour Waits At Bg And Disney. And I Was Not Poor Living Here. I Do Not Want People To Hate Fl - Just Some Of Us Can't Afford To Live Here Anymore - But We Can Visit - Cheers Wendy

Old 09-11-2006, 07:34 AM

99 posts, read 308,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID_S View Post
The Sun-Sentinel is all gloom and doom. That way they sell more newspapers. That rag has no credibility whatsoever.

School enrollment fluctuates in any school district. That doesn't mean that "this state is so bad off." There hasn't been a decline since 1971 -- that's 35 years ago. If anything, this gives the school district a breather from decades of explosive growth.

Palm Beach county lost over 3,000 students in ONE year; Broward over 7,000 in the same period. That is not a blip when it comes to school funding, so people should care.

For a long time, the Sun-Sentinel was one of FL's biggest cheerleaders. Now that things have taken turn; they are a 'rag'. Interesting.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:21 AM

504 posts, read 1,765,141 times
I still live in Tampa and we are currently looking for somewhere to go in a few years, my grown daughters and my grown grandson, we are all going. Both my daughters were born here and I remember the Florida keys in 1959, greed took them over should have been a national park. I and my oldest daughter have all lived elsewhere but because of illness in the family we have stayed here. I Know everything changes in time and our young memories are almost always of how life was and how good it was then, but Florida has definately got worse, overcrowding, terrible roads, the second worse school system in the country, houses here are as expensive as in Alaska, insurance probably higher, jobs for people without a degree very low paying, the illegal immigrants are a major problem and they do take good jobs at much lower pay, not all but a great deal of good paying construction work. Work goes on in Tampa and code enforcement turns a blind eye on illegal business and construction. At one time the old locals used to say the weather would get cooler after the first full moon in October, it starts in December anymore. The beaches have so many condos on them you can't see them in some areas. Take your family to Disney and enjoy the heat and the lines and enjoy paying all the tolls as you drive to it. The governors wife was caught smuggling in clothes etc, from overseas, and both his kids have been in drug and alcohol treatment, but he thinks he knows what kids need for school. He signed the biggest phone hike in history and let Katherine Harris make desicions regarding the election of 2000, look her up. One of my daughters lives in Melbourne, which is getting crowded, the other daughter lives in Palm beach county, you don't even want to go there unless you are Rush Limbaugh, who is annoyed at the turtles coming up on his beach. Be very very sure you want to come here and have enough money to keep your kid in private school, have a very good job, love being hot or staying home and learn Spainish.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:07 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,219,959 times
Default sc not fla

sc is the state with the 2nd worst school system in the country. fla is like 39th or so.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:05 AM

504 posts, read 1,765,141 times
Your right I just looked it up still nothing to brag about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida