Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 04:48 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,804,376 times

Advertisements

Florida near bottom in ACT results - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 05:08 AM

3,849 posts, read 8,002,811 times
Can't say I'm shocked. Articles like this only cememt my decison that moving back to New England will be the right choice for my daughter and our family.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:50 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,804,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Can't say I'm shocked. Articles like this only cememt my decison that moving back to New England will be the right choice for my daughter and our family.
I agree. Our move is mainly about weather, but this just makes me feel a lot better and more confident in my decision to move back in 6 weeks to MA. My daughter just went to 6th grade, I want her to have the best education, and I know the New England schools are top in the country. Not all of the schools up there, but most...

Old 08-17-2011, 05:56 AM

Yes ours is about weather also and just a slew of other things, what part of mass?

Old 08-17-2011, 06:27 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,045,470 times
When tests like the FCAT are created through the mandates of state/local politicians with their own agendas, is it no wonder that when a nationally standardized is used, our kids falter? These state tests are the driving forces of the school curriculum, and as much as our state/school leaders would like to have you believe differently, teachers are forced to teach to the tests that have little real value beyond number(s) to deceive. One has to ask how there could be so many "smoke and mirrors" A/B schools in Florida, when the state test scores are on the lowest tier of national averages when a true standardized test (ACT) is used. Look on any real estate site and one can see that " high test scores sell houses", even when in the true scope of things, these state concocted scores are virtually meaningless.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:38 AM

27,340 posts, read 44,401,032 times
This isn't news and is a by-product of Florida residents' willingness to accept it year after year. Until people either stop grumbling and living with it or throwing their hands up to flee to another state, it's going to continue. Interestingly enough two posts on this thread referred to moving to Massachusetts, which has very high taxes which help pay for their quality educational system. The amusing crux is the anti-tax bias of those who left high tax states and expect the same amenities without shelling out for it. Taxes are like anything else in life, you get what you pay for. If Florida hopes to compete in education and other services/infrastructure, it will need to move to toward a state tax system. If not, behold your paradise as is.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:52 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,801,623 times
I went to high school in NY back in the early 70s. Our curriculum was geared to doing well on the "Regents" test and the SAT. I doubt anyone would suggest that our schools were bad at that time. I don't think teaching toward a test is inherently bad as long as the test represents a wide range of subject knowledge. The problem arises when you teach toward one test but you are judged on the basis of another, different, test. I'd love to see a study that compares the FCAT result, the ACT, and the SAT result as a predictor of college success or, even better, life success. Who knows? Maybe parents are bowing down to the wrong standardized test throne. If anyone knows of such a comparison, please post it.

Schools are a big part of a student's education but the ultimate influence is the student and the student's parents. You can say that FCAT is the problem (and maybe it is) but kids from Florida go to the very best schools and many, many other 2nd and 3rd tier schools, after high school every year. If FCAT is holding them back, there are still many who seem to overcome the limitation.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
This isn't news and is a by-product of Florida residents' willingness to accept it year after year. Until people either stop grumbling and living with it or throwing their hands up to flee to another state, it's going to continue. Interestingly enough two posts on this thread referred to moving to Massachusetts, which has very high taxes which help pay for their quality educational system. The amusing crux is the anti-tax bias of those who left high tax states and expect the same amenities without shelling out for it. Taxes are like anything else in life, you get what you pay for. If Florida hopes to compete in education and other services/infrastructure, it will need to move to toward a state tax system. If not, behold your paradise as is.
I think a lot of the residents (I'm speaking here for Naples ) don't want to contribute more because they're all retired. They'd rather have the lower tax rates than the better schooling. They're more worried about putting in a new traffic light at their neighborhood, or doing median restoration than putting money into the school system to better it. Places like Mass have higher property taxes yes and are also more family oriented. I feel sometimes living here I'm more of an inconvenience with my daughter than anything else

Old 08-17-2011, 07:18 AM

137 posts, read 409,262 times
I fork over a lot of money every month that I don't have so I can put my child in a private school. I have to work quite a few extra hours to afford it, but it is absolutely worth every penny. There are only ten kids in the class and I see the teacher and principle everyday. I can call the teacher at home on a Saturday night if I need to and I can talk with the teacher about my child's progress at anytime....without an appointment. When new kids come in, they are tested, and many public school children actually have to be placed in a grade behind where they were. They don't give the FCAT, so the teachers can actually teach stuff that the kids need to learn. As much as I would like to blame my child's great grades and intelligence on a stellar gene pool, I know that much of her success is due to the hard work and dedication of her teachers.

Private school was the best investment I have ever made.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:04 AM

4,911 posts, read 14,192,801 times
Average ACT for the U.S. is 21.1

FL comes in at 19.6 and that's pretty low???? WT*?

that's less than two points.....I think 21.1 as an average of the U.S. test scores is pretty low....especially with all the money apparently being sunk into private education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida