Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 11:24 PM

571 posts, read 790,963 times

Advertisements

I live in St Pete and recently after a trip to Rainbow Springs, I've been thinking about N. Florida. I've looked at land mostly in Gilchrist county, near the Suwannee. It wouldn't be a permanent residence, just a place where I could gradually start to build a small cabin or just camp. So what do you guys know about the area? The lot I've been considering close is to the town of Bell across from the river. Seems like a good locale because it's within boating distance of several springs and quick drive to Ginnie and Ichetucknee Springs. Gainesville, Lake City and Live Oak are all within 40 miles. Jacksonville and Tallahassee are within 90 miles and there's some towns not too far that look pretty cool (Steinhatchee, Suwannee, High Springs, Newberry, Branford, Mayo, Lake Butler).

A good North Florida retreat or a waste of time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 11:43 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Live Oak's a dump and Lake City isn't that much better. Gainesville has some cool things and a lot of those Alachua County towns are pretty nice, like Newberry and High Springs. Steinhatchee isn't much of a town, but there's one or two good seafood places there. Lake Butler is the county seat of Union County, but there's nothing there. Same goes for Mayo, which is the seat of Lafayette County.

The Suwannee is very pretty and there's some nice land up there, but there's also a lot of nothing. That part of the state is home to a lot of good ol' boys, bubbas, and religious types. That's fine and all, but if that's not your thing, you might want to go somewhere else.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:37 AM

486 posts, read 654,248 times
Have to agree with ferret111. If you live in St Pete you're in for culture shock in Live Oak/Suwannee County. Plus the cute cabin you build will be ransacked for its wiring and A/C and anything else they can steal. Live Oak has a prison and apparently when the inmates are released they don't go far.

We walked away from a house in Live Oak, went back a month ago, and the ceilings are laying on the floor where they cut them out to steal the wiring. All the wiring is gone, the A/C is gone, and the appliances are all gone. The only thing they didn't steal was the pool pump, guess they missed it. In the process they broke out the sliding glass doors just for spite, because the house had been wide open. Bank of America really secured it. Not.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:03 AM

509 posts, read 1,680,536 times
I think a North Florida retreat is a waste of time if you think you would never move to the retreat. There are so many places you can rent when you want to visit the area and you don't have to waste money of the upkeep, insurance, and taxes. Have you looked at the Landing at Steinhatchee for vacations? We used to vacation there. It is lovely and right in the area you are talking about. IMHO it is a better use of your time and money.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:45 AM

8 posts, read 16,713 times
I've lived in McAlpin (8 miles south of Live Oak) for about 10 years on 10 beautiful acres in a subdivision called Live Oak Acres. People have horses and it is really quiet around here. You can leave your doors locked and not worry about crime. Early in the morning you hear the rooster crow far off somewhere.
You can go to High Springs that has a cute downtown and resturaunts--in 45 minutes if you get cabin
fever. In an hour you can be in Gainesville with major shopping then come home to peace and quiet.

I know almost everyone in this subdivision even though we are spread out on acreage. There is an award winning dairy (Kurtz Dairy) just around the corner for fresh milk and cheese and free range beef. Lots of farmers will sell you their eggs if you don't want to have your own chickens. You have to make your garden large so you can share with deer or just go to the farmers market in Lake City (30 minutes away).

The Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park provides lots of entertainment opportunities, the Suwannee River for canoe trips, fishing, kayaking on the Ichetucknee River. White Springs has a beautiful State Park and festivals.

I don't find people clannish here--actually everyone is pretty awesome in their own right and no one is perfect.
Life is what you make it and I prefer down to earth people , whether rich or poor,to the shopping frenzy of the city life.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:59 AM

I meant UNLOCKED!!

Old 08-26-2012, 07:47 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Live Oak's a dump and Lake City isn't that much better. Gainesville has some cool things and a lot of those Alachua County towns are pretty nice, like Newberry and High Springs. Steinhatchee isn't much of a town, but there's one or two good seafood places there. Lake Butler is the county seat of Union County, but there's nothing there. Same goes for Mayo, which is the seat of Lafayette County.

The Suwannee is very pretty and there's some nice land up there, but there's also a lot of nothing. That part of the state is home to a lot of good ol' boys, bubbas, and religious types. That's fine and all, but if that's not your thing, you might want to go somewhere else.
I know this post is a year old, but it's a crazy post. What is it about Live Oak that makes it a "dump"? Especially when you're comparing it to the small towns in Alachua county? What's the difference? And I've been to every town you mentioned. Some people like "a lot of nothing".

At least we can agree that the river is beautiful. The best waterway in the South as far as I'm concerned, both for scenery and activities.

I don't get the crime reference in another post either. Every community has property crime. It sucks that you happened to be a victim of it on your property, but that stuff can happen anywhere.

And by the way, there's a state prison in every county in Florida, so you're just as likely to be victimized by freshly released inmates anywhere in the state.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:29 PM

Default Suwannee County

I thought it would be fun to join this forum on city data. I have noticed mostly complaints and negativity.
Not just on the Live Oak Suwannee County either--I visited lots of other towns just to see if there was any people posting good things to say about their town. WOW the majority of posts are NEGATIVE. It is like the newspaper--mostly bad news. What is up with that???

Old 09-03-2012, 09:16 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,935 times
People are generally not going to gush about the places they like, and will more likely complain.

I think suwannee county is beautiful, lots of rivers and springs..

If your looking for a rural place to live and dont mind a drive to Valdosta, Gainesville, or Tallahassee/Jacksonville for major shopping/restaurants by all means stay in suwannee.

Your not terribly far from anything...

Also Lake city does have more retail/restaurants and its closer for sure... you can definately make do.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:37 PM

Thanks TD--I suppose that is just human nature. Negativity just paints an awful picture for people that are looking to relocate. But you should always see for yourself rather than rely on these posts anyway.

The wild persimmons are dropping and the sycamores are turning--a sure sign of fall around the corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida