Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 06:05 PM

57 posts, read 117,726 times

Advertisements

My got a great response in the Orlando section. I am hoping some Destin folks can provide some good places too.

Wife, two young kids (11,8) and myself are planning a trip this summer to visit Florida from Colorado. We are really excited about being near the ocean again and all the great seafood places. Colorado Springs has a Red Lobster. :-(

So, we are hitting Destin for a few days then going to Orlando to spend three days at the water parks.

What do y'all think the best places to eat are?

What are the best seafood places?

(In the Destin/Ft Walton/Seaside area)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 06:54 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Red Bar- Grayton Beach- I like their lunch menu, (their fish of the day sandwich is a winner)don't think their dinner menu is quite as good of a value
Dockside Cafe- Niceville- intersection of Hwy 20 (John Sims Road) and Hwy 85 in the North Lights Marina complex- the rare combination of waterfront dining and generally most excellent food for pretty reasonable prices.
Jasmine Thai- Publix shopping center across from Destin Commons- Thai is one of the bigger ethnic cuisines in the area, and they're a good example of it in these parts
Sushimoto- Destin/Santa Rosa Beach- Hwy 98 just west of the outlet mall in the same strip mall as Melting Pot- one of the best sushi options in the area, also has decent other Japanese offerings if not everyone in your party likes sushi
Dewey Destin's- Destin- Hwy 98 on the harbor- can be a little hit or miss, but when they're on, they're quite good
Nick's on the Bayou- take Hwy 20 east from Niceville or west from Freeport and you'll eventually see it. Try not to hit the owner's chckens as you park. This is an Old Florida fish camp- sides are nothing special but they've got a very good touch with fish & seafood.
McGuire's- Destin- Hwy 98 at the East Pass bridge. Yes, it's effectively an Irish theme park, but the food (steaks, seafood, fish, pub fare) is good and the experience is unique.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:29 AM

53 posts, read 275,725 times
We visit my parents who live near there. Love AJ's seafood restaurant. Great food, views, and shopping afterwards right behind the restaurant.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:08 PM

Eeew, AJ's. This is the place that served me a soft drink with a dead fly frozen to the ice cube and we had to fight to get that drink taken off my tab. Total tourist trap, IMO.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:03 AM

14 posts, read 43,114 times
Default Good seafood

6 couples returning to Destin in Sep , My personal favorite time !
Would appreciate an update on good places to eat . I don't mind a chain but love that local out of the way place to dine. For visitors to my city , I like to recommend that 'different' place I go to.
So in Destin : IMHO Cheeseburger in Paradise has OK food but the presentation sends the whole experience over the top IMHO.
Crab Trap is the view - not great food but OK.
So where do YOU go when you are in the mood for some GREAT seafood?

Old 04-15-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Red Bar- Grayton Beach- I like their lunch menu, (their fish of the day sandwich is a winner)don't think their dinner menu is quite as good of a value
Dockside Cafe- Niceville- intersection of Hwy 20 (John Sims Road) and Hwy 85 in the North Lights Marina complex- the rare combination of waterfront dining and generally most excellent food for pretty reasonable prices.
Jasmine Thai- Publix shopping center across from Destin Commons- Thai is one of the bigger ethnic cuisines in the area, and they're a good example of it in these parts
Sushimoto- Destin/Santa Rosa Beach- Hwy 98 just west of the outlet mall in the same strip mall as Melting Pot- one of the best sushi options in the area, also has decent other Japanese offerings if not everyone in your party likes sushi
Dewey Destin's- Destin- Hwy 98 on the harbor- can be a little hit or miss, but when they're on, they're quite good
Nick's on the Bayou- take Hwy 20 east from Niceville or west from Freeport and you'll eventually see it. Try not to hit the owner's chckens as you park. This is an Old Florida fish camp- sides are nothing special but they've got a very good touch with fish & seafood.
McGuire's- Destin- Hwy 98 at the East Pass bridge. Yes, it's effectively an Irish theme park, but the food (steaks, seafood, fish, pub fare) is good and the experience is unique.

would greatly appreciate an updated version IF there are any changes YOU would make .. returning to Destin and enjoy our dinners out with our growing group [6 couples]of retired young at heart beach lovers

Old 04-15-2012, 02:44 PM

That list is still pretty much the same.

I'll add Stewby's on Racetrack Road in Ft. Walton Beach for good budget seafood, and Tucker Duke's on John Sims in Valparaiso for burgers and blue plates. (I think Tucker Duke's also just opened up a second version of itself in the bowling alley/entertainment complex across from Destin Publix.) You can find reasonably authentic Mexican at Pepito's in Destin or Bluewater Bay if you order off the taqueria menu.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:41 PM

Thanks you so much beachmouse
.. also adding a few Mexican choices moved yu up on my top 10 list lol

maybe I'll find another GREAT fish taco to compare Fish Taco at Mango Mango's in St Augustine

Old 04-18-2012, 07:02 PM

4 posts, read 9,522 times
Question Fresh Shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
That list is still pretty much the same.

I'll add Stewby's on Racetrack Road in Ft. Walton Beach for good budget seafood, and Tucker Duke's on John Sims in Valparaiso for burgers and blue plates. (I think Tucker Duke's also just opened up a second version of itself in the bowling alley/entertainment complex across from Destin Publix.) You can find reasonably authentic Mexican at Pepito's in Destin or Bluewater Bay if you order off the taqueria menu.

Also going to Destin -- thanks for the updated info -- BTW

Where would anyone suggest buying fresh shrimp from ? We would like to bring back the FLAVOR of the gulf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida