Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 08:45 PM

31 posts, read 120,900 times

Advertisements

I have one more question that I should have added to my hurricane question below. I make 60,000 here in Long Island. Can anyone tell me what a comparable salary in Florida would be?? Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2006, 04:07 AM

5 posts, read 19,706 times
Default The pay has always been very low in FL...

And though housing prices have jumped to 2-3 x's what they were just 3-5 years ago, salaries have remained about the same.

I have been here since 1980, but have had to work for myself for the past 15 years to live above poverty level.

Unless you have some connections, and/or some very special skills, you may want to consider a commission-only sales job to be able to make it here.

Old 08-28-2006, 05:35 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
mpassaro
here is a site that has a salary comparison calculator
http://www.moving.com/Find_A_Place/C...Calc/index.asp

What you need to make and what you will pay for a home will vary greatly depending on where you live. Up here in NE FL we don't seem to be experiencing the outrageous INS fees that our friends down south are running into. Also a couple people have said you need to make over $100k to live here, again that will depend on where you live. We don't make near that amount and live a pretty nice lifestyle.
I have a friend on LI that lives in a small 1500 sq ft older house that he said is worth almost $400k and is paying close to $10k a year in property taxes. We live on a 2100 sq ft 5 yr old house and pay $3100 a year in taxes and a similar house down the street just went on the market yesterday for $380k.
Granted the taxes the new owners will pay will be slightly higher due to the new selling price but it will still be a far call from the propety taxes on LI.
So again if you are considering moving down here research the different areas I am sure you will find an area that will fit your needs.
Karla

Last edited by Marka; 08-29-2006 at 02:07 AM..

Old 08-28-2006, 02:19 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpassaro View Post
I have one more question that I should have added to my hurricane question below. I make 60,000 here in Long Island. Can anyone tell me what a comparable salary in Florida would be?? Thanks again.

Depends on the job. There is a long island in NY and I know NYC pays alot more. Id venture to estimate youd get 40k or a little less in Florida. Not enough to afford houses here, I am afraid unless you are fine with a mobile home.

Old 08-28-2006, 03:10 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,228 times
you can go to salar.com and it will do a city to city comparison for you for free

Old 08-28-2006, 03:13 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,640 times
If you have skills, or can run your own company you may be able to afford a nice home. We have been here 6 years and have done just that.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:32 PM

32 posts, read 141,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpassaro View Post
I really depends in what field you are in. I just had a call from a job in Clearwater that started at 65K so I guess the pay is not bad You just have to keep looking and looking. Try Monster.com.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:22 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
you can go to salar.com and it will do a city to city comparison for you for free
Oops, I meant salary.com, that was a typo...

Old 08-29-2006, 12:21 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
Just gotta comment since I've seen Need_affordable_home mention mobile homes more than once. You'd literally have to be OUT OF YOUR MIND to own a mobile home in FL or any other area on the coast or in a place that frequently gets tornados!!! Anybody that pays attention to the news at all knows that they're the first to go! And they're the first to have to evacuate! Even with Ernesto being a tropical storm, (at the moment-hopefully will not turn into a hurricane!) anyone living in a mobile in the Keys had to evacuate! What a drag! Also, why would you want to buy something that LOSES value! Real estate is an investment. Unless you plan on living in it forever (& how could you know something like that) & are IN THE DESERT or a state with no major natural disasters!!!, it's not a wise move to buy a mobile.

Also, on 40k you can definately buy a house in FL!!!

Old 08-29-2006, 07:33 AM

99 posts, read 308,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Just gotta comment since I've seen Need_affordable_home mention mobile homes more than once. You'd literally have to be OUT OF YOUR MIND to own a mobile home in FL or any other area on the coast or in a place that frequently gets tornados!!! Anybody that pays attention to the news at all knows that they're the first to go! And they're the first to have to evacuate! Even with Ernesto being a tropical storm, (at the moment-hopefully will not turn into a hurricane!) anyone living in a mobile in the Keys had to evacuate! What a drag! Also, why would you want to buy something that LOSES value! Real estate is an investment. Unless you plan on living in it forever (& how could you know something like that) & are IN THE DESERT or a state with no major natural disasters!!!, it's not a wise move to buy a mobile.

Also, on 40k you can definately buy a house in FL!!!
Elfyum, that highly depends. Many people in FL cannot afford a home on 40k once taxes, insurance, and HOA/Condo fees are added in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida