Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 09:25 PM

17 posts, read 59,908 times

Advertisements

We are hoping someone can shed some light. Pros and cons to both in Palm coast newer beautiful home built in '03 but 18 minutes to Flagler Beach, community looks new and pristine. The palm coast home is in the princess section, any input on this area is appreciated. Daytona home built in the 60's but very up to date 8 minutes to daytona beach and is in the fairway homes community price is the same for both homes. Any input into these areas pros and cons would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 05:36 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Palm Coast is a much nicer community in my opinion than Daytona Beach. DB has some pretty seedy areas that blend into the nice areas and the city has long attracted an element that most people wouldn't feel comfortable being around on a frequent basis. Not to mention the chaos of Speed Week and Bike Week added to the re-emergence of lots more Spring Breakers the past couple of years.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:24 PM

227 posts, read 856,024 times
Princess areas you mention are fine you'll always have good and bad in an area as not in an HOA gated community. Quieter in PC area than Daytona for sure leaning more towards nature oriented. We get a little overflow from Bike Week but it's usually the one's that don't want to be in the middle of the craziness. Taxes lower in Flagler than Volusia. Your home insurance should be more affordable as 03 home built to new tougher building codes.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:22 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,681 times
Unless you're in the congested areas of Daytona, which Fairway Estates is not, special events have very little effect on traffic in Volusia County and virtually zero effect in Flagler County. Contrary to public opinion, Race Week, Bike Week & spring break don't attract anywhere near the crowds they used to.

Property taxes are much lower in Flagler County and if possible check with your realtor to see if adjacent homes are rentals or are in forclosure. There is more crime in the "P" & "R" sections of Palm Coast than others, depending on your street.

So many factors in deciding where to buy. Neither of these areas would be my first choice. Sounds like you want to be near the beach. Have you looked in Ormond Beach on the peninsula?

I grew up in Ormond and now live in Flagler County, so I'm familiar with both areas.

Here are the websites for the respective property appraisers for tax and sales info.

Flagler County Florida Property Appraiser
Volusia County Property Appraiser

Good luck in your house hunt!

Old 04-10-2011, 07:49 PM

501 posts, read 1,881,585 times
Lightbulb NOT About the Money!

Fariway Estates in Daytona Beach is a a very good location and a stable neighborhood that is also quiet.

Palm Coast is a planned community maze I don't understand -- you'd have to drive miles and miles to the nearest shopping anyway. Properties offer excellent value for sq. footage and amenities (with many surrounding properties in foreclosure).

Posters to this blog don't seem to understand that relocating to Florida is NOT about price -- it's about lifestyle!

Real estate values can be had everywhere in Florida -- but what will your quality of life be like after you move there!

Generally speaking:
Daytona Beach: Democrat, Hippy, Anti-Establishment, Real, Character, Bikers, Motorheads
Palm Coast: Stepford Wives, Isolation, Republican, Retirees, Fabulousness, in bed by 9pm

Good Luck!

Old 04-10-2011, 10:13 PM

17 posts, read 59,908 times
Default clear as mud now :)

Well it seems both have there pros and cons and that is why we are having a tough choice. any more advice is welcomed. What if I am a real fabulous democrat that goes to bed at 11 or 12?

Thanks

Old 04-11-2011, 11:26 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,985,263 times
Then stay up until midnight and enjoy the stars in Palm Coast! Do you like peaceful surroundings? Do you like nature? Will you walk or ride on the many trails here? Beach? Geocaching? Bird watching? Are you more active? How about golfing, boating, kayaking, swimming or tennis? Are you interested in joining a club or organization for people with similar interests or backgrounds I can't believe how many clubs Palm Coast has!

Tell us more about you and what you like to do.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:45 PM

501 posts, read 1,881,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridabound93 View Post
Well it seems both have there pros and cons and that is why we are having a tough choice. any more advice is welcomed. What if I am a real fabulous democrat that goes to bed at 11 or 12? Thanks
Based on this, you'd probably find a better lifestyle for you in a suburban area of a larger city. Some ideas for fabulous democrats would be:
  • Ft Lauderdale/Broward County
  • Boca Raton/Palm Beach County
  • Sarasota area
  • St Pete area
  • Orlando area

If you're stuck on these 2 choices and go to bed at 11 or so, you'd definitely be happier in Daytona Beach (esp. if you wanted a meal or a delivery after 9pm)!

Problem is you won't find much fabulousness here, and would have to go in the closet with secret trips to St Augustine, Winter Park and Millenia Mall in Orlando. You could cope though by buying a 1968 Shelby Cobra to tool around town with (and then locals would pay attention to your splendor).

Last edited by daytonadewd; 04-11-2011 at 07:58 PM..

Old 04-13-2011, 12:21 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridabound93 View Post
We are hoping someone can shed some light. Pros and cons to both in Palm coast newer beautiful home built in '03 but 18 minutes to Flagler Beach, community looks new and pristine. The palm coast home is in the princess section, any input on this area is appreciated. Daytona home built in the 60's but very up to date 8 minutes to daytona beach and is in the fairway homes community price is the same for both homes. Any input into these areas pros and cons would be helpful.
Have you actually been here or are you just internet shopping for a home? I'd suggest renting in the area you're looking at before buying. There's no way I'd purchase a home without becoming familiar with the location!

I dislike Palm Coast as much as Dewd, but a lot of the residents are far from his description. Many of the homes are now designated "Section 8 Housing" and there are so many spec & investment properties, they'll rent to anyone.
You almost want to feel sorry for the Stepford wives and republicans who paid 300k; now their home is worth 100k and they're living next door to the baby-daddy welfare recipients.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:29 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonadewd View Post
Fariway Estates in Daytona Beach is a a very good location and a stable neighborhood that is also quiet.

Palm Coast is a planned community maze I don't understand -- you'd have to drive miles and miles to the nearest shopping anyway. Properties offer excellent value for sq. footage and amenities (with many surrounding properties in foreclosure).

Posters to this blog don't seem to understand that relocating to Florida is NOT about price -- it's about lifestyle!

Real estate values can be had everywhere in Florida -- but what will your quality of life be like after you move there!

Generally speaking:
Daytona Beach: Democrat, Hippy, Anti-Establishment, Real, Character, Bikers, Motorheads
Palm Coast: Stepford Wives, Isolation, Republican, Retirees, Fabulousness, in bed by 9pm

Good Luck!
Gread advice and synopsis, daytonadewd^^ I totally agree with you that it's not about price but lifestyle, and that deals can be found all over Florida.

Also, people really, really need to check out any area they are considering fully and in person, then come back here and ask more questions about their concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida