Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 10:25 AM

6 posts, read 11,564 times

Advertisements

we are currently living in central NJ. my girlfriend and i are currently at our end of our schooling and are looking for jobs, she is going to become a high school teacher and i am looking for almost anything. we are hoping to move to florida in a couple of years.

My question is where could we move in florida that would have decent jobs, safe area, and good entertainment and night life for a late 20s couple.

we would like to be now father then 25min from the beach also if at all possible.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 04:41 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,793,369 times
Your best bet is to find a job first, and then housing.

There are plenty of areas that fit that criteria but the deciding one will be where you can find work.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:39 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR83 View Post
we are currently living in central NJ. my girlfriend and i are currently at our end of our schooling and are looking for jobs, she is going to become a high school teacher and i am looking for almost anything. we are hoping to move to florida in a couple of years.

My question is where could we move in florida that would have decent jobs, safe area, and good entertainment and night life for a late 20s couple.

we would like to be now father then 25min from the beach also if at all possible.

thanks

I'll actually answer your question versus the usual hostile feedback from many here.

You might consider Fort Lauderdale. It's a very nice city, particularly on the east and northeast side. Check out the Victoria Park neighborhood which is easily within 30 minutes of beautiful Fort Lauderdale beach.

Victoria Park Civic Homeowners Association - Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Also consider the city of Hollywood, just to the south. It's ideally located halfway between Ft Lauderdale and Miami right on the coast. Hollywood's downtown area (around Young Circle) has undergone massive revitalization over the past 10-15 years and is full of shops/restaurants/bars walking distance from nice residential areas, and 15 minutes from Hollywood Beach and it's great boardwalk.

Hollywood, Florida Community Redevelopment Agency

Old 03-11-2011, 08:27 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,793,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'll actually answer your question versus the usual hostile feedback from many here.
Well since I was the only one who replied I'm assuming that was directed at me.

I approach these types of posts differently. Not necessarily better, just different.

The op has posted what are very common requirements here: want to live where there are jobs, safe, nightlife and close to the beach.

There are many places in Florida that fit all of those except for employment. During the boom times you could suggest those places as a starting point-move then find a job.

Today that doesn't apply. It seems prudent to secure employment first, then look for housing.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:55 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,856,519 times
Given the hostility toward public education in Florida right now, I wouldn't want to teach K-12 here. Do you really want to run the risk of losing half your salary every year if your students don't meet FCAT requirements?

Old 03-12-2011, 05:34 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Well since I was the only one who replied I'm assuming that was directed at me.

I approach these types of posts differently. Not necessarily better, just different.

The op has posted what are very common requirements here: want to live where there are jobs, safe, nightlife and close to the beach.

There are many places in Florida that fit all of those except for employment. During the boom times you could suggest those places as a starting point-move then find a job.

Today that doesn't apply. It seems prudent to secure employment first, then look for housing.
The OP clearly stated they were looking for jobs, not planning to pack up and move here tomorrow...They seem fairly prudent when one reads through and comprehends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida