Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 06:44 PM

86 posts, read 222,789 times

Advertisements

This is the first year in the last 10 that we will not be going down to Florida to warm up. I am freezing my ??? off right now. I am sick and tired of nightly snow and freezing cold. And the worst part is that we still have another 1-2 months of this.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Dreamer1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 06:54 PM

817 posts, read 2,262,227 times
Jimmy Buffet wrote a song with lyrics near to your post title. It's called Manana.

If it makes you feel better, it's in the 50s today in Tampa. Might get down to the 40s tonight.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:17 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,582,011 times
Kevin,
I know you are sincere in trying to make dreamer feel better, but I'm less than 30 miles from dreamer.....it is 7 degrees here now with a wind chill well below zero.

I know some mods would not allow this thread on the Florida forum, but I can relate to this too much to close it. I spent over an hour tonight just talking to a Florida neighbor just to get my "Florida fix". Our winter this year just started too early....we are more tired of it then usual.

I cannot get back down there until April. I am lusting for my Florida home. Up here we are enduring very high heat bills, road salt everywhere. Less then a 1/2 mile from my home a young girl was killed today and two others hurt due to snowy conditions....ejected from her vehicle after sliding out of her lane and hitting another car head on.

Sorry for the rant....I know Florida is not perfect but after days of no sun, frigid
conditions, budget busting heat bills, all with no end in sight it does wear on you in ways that some Floridians simply cannot understand.

But, I'm working hard on our goal, and hope to sell our home and be down there for good this year.

No matter where we live, we all have much to be thankful for. Difficulties make us stronger. If Winter is here, Spring cannot be too far away. I will enjoy each season and count my blessings.

Please be patient with us cold northerners....and enjoy a little sun and warmth for us..... Carry on!

Frank

Old 02-09-2011, 03:44 AM

1,978 posts, read 4,432,219 times
Part of getting my Florida fix means hearing about the heat and absurd levels of humidity! Even if it involves peoples complaints about the 9 or so months of it. (I'm not sadistic - really!) Hearing that Florida is getting lows in the 40's doesn't make me feel "better". If anything it makes me feel worse! When my sinuses are drying out and I feel as if I am going to crumble into a pile of chalky dust, I Just want to know that someone 3000 miles away isn't having to go through that BS I'm going through and even though I can't be there to experience it directly it still matters to me. The only thing that makes Limbo (San Diego is just Limbo - Colorado is the actual Hell) tolerable is knowing that Heaven still exists!

So Dreamer, and Faithful Frank, I'm feeling your pain and I'm on the same channel. Fortunately I have something akin to total recall! So if this helps to jog your memory, think of the musty smell in the airport as you get off the plane and the warm night air, or the total unreality and eery feeling as you start to fly over Florida airspace and somehow sense that you have entered into a completely different climate zone, knowing that you are in a primeval Jungle-Swamp that supports 20 foot palm trees and giant reptiles. Or how about the EXTREMELY high angle and brightness of the Blue-White Florida sunlight as it bounces off of the white roofs and the deep green jungle-y forest with the occasional exposed patches of white sand or Karstian Limestone.

By the way, If you want to see a Florida Sunrise in Live time go to google and type in "FLL Cam" and click on the first link that goes to Sunny.org/webcam/

It will give you options for several different webcams of varying quality. One of my favorites is the one for the Lauderdale-by-the-Sea Windjammer resort. That particular cam is a continuous streaming video, not just merely updated photos. Good luck in your endeavor to get to Florida quickly (and mine too) and Godspeed to us all! Right?

Last edited by Reptoid Humidian; 02-09-2011 at 03:48 AM.. Reason: comma

Old 02-09-2011, 02:47 PM

330 posts, read 1,089,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer1 View Post
This is the first year in the last 10 that we will not be going down to Florida to warm up. I am freezing my ??? off right now. I am sick and tired of nightly snow and freezing cold. And the worst part is that we still have another 1-2 months of this.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Dreamer1

DITTO! Im just down the road from ya in Syracuse! Only difference is that I am going to be in St. Pete from the 20th to the 27th.

It does seem that this has been a very looooong winter and its not over yet! The snow just wont stop coming down! Its a rarity that we dont get at least a coating to an inch or more every night since December 1st. I think we are at around 137 inches or so for the season. Ughhhh!

Old 02-09-2011, 04:00 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,800,799 times
It all evens out, yes FL is great now. But soon enough it gets too hot and humid and you run from your A/C house to your A/C car to the A/C store.

You end up getting stuck indoors, just for a different reason.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:10 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,864,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It all evens out, yes FL is great now. But soon enough it gets too hot and humid and you run from your A/C house to your A/C car to the A/C store.

Why did I picture you saying that and then sticking your tongue out at us while saying "so there!"?

Old 02-09-2011, 04:15 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,582,011 times
Quote:

I know some folks are less tolerant of the Florida summer heat.....but at least for me, I see NO comparison. In the hottest of the Florida heat I can still go out and do stuff in the morning or late evening....or I can go swimming, etc. As long as I stay hydrated I work outside even in the afternoon heat, against my Florida neighbors advice.

Up here I need to bundle up like the Michelin man..(fun to drive like that) and still it hurts to breathe. You slip on the ice, push shopping carts through big ruts, pray you do not wreck your car driving. You can be a careful driver, only to have some young kid plow into you because they have not yet learned to drive responsibly in the winter.

Did you know that 50% of seniors who fall in the ice breaking a hip are dead within a year? It costs many homes over $500 a month to keep warm in the winter.....utilities are much higher up here.....

Anyway, enjoy!

Frank

Old 02-09-2011, 07:46 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,277,568 times
No shortage of seniors falling down here and breaking bones, and we don't even have ice.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:08 PM

5,687 posts, read 6,296,189 times
Quote:

I completely agree. Come back to this forum in the summertime and you will see endless griping about the heat from the new transplants. I grew up in Michigan and spent 7 years in Boston so I do understand the cold. It took me quite a while to even partially adjust to the heat, and even now I have days where I find it close to intolerable (I moved here for a job). And I should note that when I invite my friends and family down here they flatly refuse to come in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida