Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:04 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,941,301 times

Advertisements

I have such a phobia of crawly things. I found a palmetto bug in the kitchen last night- big as a hamster...I tried taking a picture of it on my camera phone but I couldnt zoom in and I was too afraid to get closer.

But I did find a lovely ant nest behind a framed mirror in on the wall. UGHHH my skin is crawling. I noticed a few ants trails leading from the mirror and I lifted it and shuddered when I saw a nest of some sort behind it. I dropped it back in place and a stream of ants came out in every direction! I have goose pimples.

I just think my house is infested. It's clean, really, but I can't stop these things from happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 11:12 AM

Those little peppery things are ants...

Old 07-12-2007, 11:54 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,376,479 times
I leave my lizards alone. They come into the house or just hang out where ever they want outside. If I do see them inside, I try to move them outside because the a/c will kill them. I do love my lizards.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:43 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,646,035 times
One of the things I actually miss about living in FL is the lizards literally everywhere. They were a great source of fun and entertainment as a child. My sister and I would catch them in our hands and clamp them on our earlobes liek earrings. Sometimes the chase to catch one was all we needed to have fun. They are sweet little things, and are way more scared of you than you might think. Watch out if you ever try to grab one by the tail, since as a defense mechanism they can let their tail go, and it will keep wriggling in your hand while the lizard is long gone (OK, I know that is a little creepy).

To humanely get them out of the house (because allowing them to stay inside the house is basically a death sentence for them), just take a cup of some sort and a piece of paper or cardboard, chase the bugger down, place the cup over the lizard and slide the paper/cardboard under the opening of the cup to keep the lizard inside. Take everything outside and set it free to live another day and eat more bugs that might otherwise go in your house!

And yes, the buffo frogs can kill dogs, and the dog doesn't have to be kept outside to find them - an unsupervised dog with a strong hunting instinct can find them and be frothing at the mouth within seconds of turning away from them. These frogs are very prevalent after the rain. If you have a dog and see it foaming at the mouth after being outside unsupervised, flush its mouth and gums with water immediately.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:13 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,195,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
One of the things I actually miss about living in FL is the lizards literally everywhere. They were a great source of fun and entertainment as a child. My sister and I would catch them in our hands and clamp them on our earlobes liek earrings. Sometimes the chase to catch one was all we needed to have fun. They are sweet little things, and are way more scared of you than you might think. Watch out if you ever try to grab one by the tail, since as a defense mechanism they can let their tail go, and it will keep wriggling in your hand while the lizard is long gone (OK, I know that is a little creepy).

To humanely get them out of the house (because allowing them to stay inside the house is basically a death sentence for them), just take a cup of some sort and a piece of paper or cardboard, chase the bugger down, place the cup over the lizard and slide the paper/cardboard under the opening of the cup to keep the lizard inside. Take everything outside and set it free to live another day and eat more bugs that might otherwise go in your house!

And yes, the buffo frogs can kill dogs, and the dog doesn't have to be kept outside to find them - an unsupervised dog with a strong hunting instinct can find them and be frothing at the mouth within seconds of turning away from them. These frogs are very prevalent after the rain. If you have a dog and see it foaming at the mouth after being outside unsupervised, flush its mouth and gums with water immediately.
I had a dog that go hold of one and he almost died. It was an 80 lb. pit bull that looked like nothing could hurt it but that little frog almost did him in. We flushed his mouth and took him to the emergency vet, it was about midnight. It ended up costing us like $300 and almost lost the dog because of that stupid frog. I would bet a smaller breed like a little Cocker Spaniel would have been a goner. At first I would catch them in a bucket and dump them in the canal across the street till a neighbor got really mad at me for not killing them and just making them someone else's problem. He was right, I love all animals but you have to take the responsibility to do the right thing.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:17 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,195,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I have such a phobia of crawly things. I found a palmetto bug in the kitchen last night- big as a hamster...I tried taking a picture of it on my camera phone but I couldnt zoom in and I was too afraid to get closer.

But I did find a lovely ant nest behind a framed mirror in on the wall. UGHHH my skin is crawling. I noticed a few ants trails leading from the mirror and I lifted it and shuddered when I saw a nest of some sort behind it. I dropped it back in place and a stream of ants came out in every direction! I have goose pimples.

I just think my house is infested. It's clean, really, but I can't stop these things from happening.
Just get an exterminator and have them come in like once a month and that should take care of it. Nothing wrong with not liking bugs. Your lizard story though creeped some of us out though. The lizards may be attracted because you have a bug problem.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:24 PM

975 posts, read 3,731,953 times
How is someone going to handle big roaches, spiders and gators if they're afraid of some wimpy anoles

May I suggest a move to another part of the country?

Old 07-12-2007, 04:26 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,166,072 times
Check the following site: Florida Lizards Photos

Old 07-12-2007, 04:35 PM

713 posts, read 2,670,760 times
I'm more concerned about her ant problem for it will get worse.

Contact a pest control service and get that started. After you eradicate problem you can back off for awhile so try not to get locked into a 12 mo. contract. Try month by month if you can. Orkin did a good job but our serviceman was a pain. He rarely showed when he was suppose to. Get one that is not over booked and has too many accounts. Ask before you commit but do do something as it will get worse.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Check the following site: Florida Lizards Photos
Interesting site but believe it or not, I have a tough time with photos, too. I have no idea where that comes from but I know I could never be on 'Fear Factor'. I can't watch the geiko commercials either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida