Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 04:13 PM

70 posts, read 263,154 times

Advertisements

Does anyone live in an active adult, 55+ community? I'm looking ahead to retirement in 5 years. They sound like a good thing. We'll be looking in Central Florida-Ocala and Lake county. Anyone hear anything about them, what to watch out for etc.? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2006, 06:08 PM

800 posts, read 3,087,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrab
Does anyone live in an active adult, 55+ community? I'm looking ahead to retirement in 5 years. They sound like a good thing. We'll be looking in Central Florida-Ocala and Lake county. Anyone hear anything about them, what to watch out for etc.? Thank you!
Most will let you go and stay for a few days. I recommend that you do that and talk to people.

One community I know well is really becoming overcrowded. People complain about not finding tee times to golf all the time.

Another has no such complaints but the monthly fees are $300 and that does not include golf.

Ready your HOA docs carefully BEFORE you buy. Talk to people who live there and check resale values with the county tax appraiser. That's my best advice.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:17 PM

66 posts, read 346,974 times
there's our few in ocala it's up tp you to make the most of it i think i myself think there over priced for the homes they sell .i think for saftey there good . and it's up to you how much you want to mix in check out the web sites del webb and levitt and sons to start with there both nice i been to a few of them myself but want a place where there our kids .i guess i just not ready

Old 08-15-2006, 12:08 PM

34 posts, read 136,120 times
My parents bought in one of the most popular south of Tampa. They loved all it had to offer. Pools, trips, activities, friends, etc. However the Golf was WAY overpriced, therefore my dad went to other local ones.

The fees were 300 a month!!!! That is a lot when you are retired, so be sure to check that out! They sold last year, which worked out great due to the housing market, I am glad they sold when they did. After checking out a few more, they have decided it is much more feesible to buy a house.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:22 PM

70 posts, read 263,154 times
Thanks everyone for your advice. We will definately read the HOA docs and do plan to stay and visit with the residents.
Yes, I agree, $300/month for amenities is too much for the average retiree so that is something to consider. We don't golf.
Anyone hear anything about the Pringle active adult communities? They're building in Lake County.
Baily, yes, safety is a big concern for us. That is why we're considering this type of community.

Old 08-18-2006, 03:37 PM

165 posts, read 652,896 times
Exclamation adult communities

Some people would never be happy in a senior citizen only community. Others would consider or even just plain like them. If you want to go the adult community route, remember there are lots of DIFFERENT kinds--condos, townhouses, villas, homes. Some have amenities like pools..... Some have high, medium, low, and sometimes even no homeowner's fees. Some allow certain pets, all pets, or none. Some are much more lenient on having (younger) family visit. Some are extremely fussy and will get on your case for almost anything. Some demand conformity in house colors, lawn cutting, house decorations.....and other places are much more easy-going. I think you get my point. Give long and hard thoughts to even consider moving to an adult only community. Seek one with the amenities you want or need (or without). Make sure you know the rules and all the fees. Check out various communities in the area you want to live in. Be as informed as possible before making a choice...........and if you do make a mistake, you can always leave (sell). Hey, try on shoes (communities) if you can. If you like that sort of place and pick wisely, there is no reason not to be happy and comfortable.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 12,044 times
My parent have been living at On Top of the World in Clearwater for a couple of years now and they have been very happy. They are condominium type homes. The community has several activities and a golf course. I coulnd't find their web site to give you more information.

Before they moved to On Top of the World they were considering living near Orlando and found a great private community, Lake James. www.erniewhiteconstruction.com/LakeJames/index.aspx (http://www.erniewhiteconstruction.com/LakeJames/index.aspx - broken link). It's located in Polk County, just outside of Orlando. They said it was a great community with lots of amminities and activities. From what I saw the floorplans that were available were very nice.

They ended up choosing On Top of the World because they preferred condo style living. They also wanted to live closer to their grandkids.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:29 PM

177 posts, read 684,201 times
After a few years of resisting, I finally agreed to take advantage of free couple of nights in a gated active adut community. We stayed there in early February and were very pleased with the experience. So pleased in fact, that we purchased a home and are moving in the first week of May.
I was afraid of being subjected to a high pressure sales pitch but was pleasantly suprised how low key it was. They even had arrangements made to have a couple take us out to dinner.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:17 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,531,128 times
bluecrab, I just sent you a P.M.

Frank D.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:48 AM

1 posts, read 10,938 times
We are looking into ashton Village in Polk COunty. Anybody out there who lives there NOW have any advice to offer? Any rergrets? Any things you wished you had done before you purchased? How are their rules and fees? It is an over 55 retirment community. Anythin you would share would be appreciated.

Last edited by Ed Demetreshon; 03-05-2008 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: Mispelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida