Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 01:28 AM

10 posts, read 18,779 times

Advertisements

Monument Valley.That's all you had to say to get my attention.Living in Europe I have learned that MV is the most photographed location in the USA for car and motorcycle adds! Having been to that Navajo park myself more than a dozen times I can attest to the awesomeness of that area.PLEASE take the short drive northeast to Mexican Hat Utah,and watch a sunrise at Monument Valley with your guest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 04:14 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,679,129 times
Remember that in December the days are really short. You will need to be out and going before sunrise and go until after sunset. But as Harleyzona pointed out you are is the best possible spots for sunrises and sunsets.
I personally would blow off Oak Creek/Sedona just because on a short schedule and short days.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:45 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,714,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyzona View Post
Monument Valley.That's all you had to say to get my attention.Living in Europe I have learned that MV is the most photographed location in the USA for car and motorcycle adds! Having been to that Navajo park myself more than a dozen times I can attest to the awesomeness of that area.PLEASE take the short drive northeast to Mexican Hat Utah,and watch a sunrise at Monument Valley with your guest.
MV was great just taking photos from the visitors center a couple weeks ago. I have 4 wheel drive but I didn't feel like taking the 17 mile drive on washboard as others do. $5 a person a pretty good deal to visit MV.

I enjoyed staying in Mexican Hat and spent the nights at San Juan Inn. Kayenta just seemed like a sterile town with chains that didn't serve alcohol so Mexican Hat which isn't on the res sells novel beers like Polygamy Porter through Wasatch Brewery. I really enjoyed Goosenecks State Park just north of town as well. Yes, my wife and I knowingly gave in to the tourist trap called Swingin' Steaks for $40 18 ounce ribeyes with salad and beans.LOL. Swingin' is now closed until April so we caught it just before it closed for the season. Regardless, Mexican Hat blows Kayenta away for beauty and uniqueness.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:00 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,907,440 times
Thanks! Still checking in for ideas. All input is very much appreciated!

Old 10-30-2013, 09:14 AM

849 posts, read 2,921,974 times
Monument Valley is nice, but it's kind of out of the way from your other destinations. Is suggest a couple days at the Grand Canyon and Sedona as well. Flagstaff is not really a tourist destination; it's more like a college town. If you're into microbrews and little grilles, the. It's pretty cool. Sedona has a lot more beauty and things to do than Monument Valley. Take in some hikes in Sedona, walk along Oak Creek, and then check out the Grand Canyon vistas and take a short hike below the rim. Monument Valley has a couple of nice drives, but only a couple of photo ops. It's a place to see only if your travels take you out toward Four Corners or Moab.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk

Old 10-30-2013, 02:34 PM

This is the trip of a lifetime for my friend from Ireland and he has always dreamt of seeing both the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley, so those are "must sees" for him. The other locations were things I thought we might be able to fit in. It seems that most are recommending Sedona so I'll see how we do. It may all depend on the weather.

If we get snow Dec 7-12 we'll be pushing it to get both GC and MV in I'm thinking. I'll be driving my Kia Soul which is front-wheel drive, but living in Las Vegas, I didn't even think about how it might handle in snow. I had 30+ years of driving in snow in Wisconsin but it's been a while. Not relishing the thought.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:53 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,058,801 times
if you haven't figured it out, yet, be ready for about 5-6 hours from South Rim to Monument Valley one-way door-to-door.....be careful on the two-lane roads....

would be great to make this work for your friend....I think it can be done if the weather has been clear for a few days prior and you plan ahead for the driving time......don't rush it!!!.....spend time at each place just sitting, hiking, relaxing, and taking it all in.....great spots....bring warm clothes....

Old 10-30-2013, 09:05 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,714,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
if you haven't figured it out, yet, be ready for about 5-6 hours from South Rim to Monument Valley one-way door-to-door.....be careful on the two-lane roads....

would be great to make this work for your friend....I think it can be done if the weather has been clear for a few days prior and you plan ahead for the driving time......don't rush it!!!.....spend time at each place just sitting, hiking, relaxing, and taking it all in.....great spots....bring warm clothes....
More like 3 hours from South Rim/Tusayan to Monument Valley. The roads require slower speeds from SR to Cameron. However, Cameron to Monument Valley is 2 hours tops cruising at 75 outside of the quick speed zones through Tuba City and Kayenta. I just went to MV a couple weeks back and spent the time in Mexican Hat,UT which again is much better than cookie cutter Kayenta.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:29 PM

Just returned home from a magical trip to the Grand Canyon and Monument Valley with my guest from Ireland. Thanks to everyone for your recommendations!

Our trip:

Day 1, December 8: Las Vegas to Williams, AZ in 3 1/2 hours with good driving all the way. Lunch at the Red Raven in Williams on Route 66. Amazing food at the Red Raven, my second delicious meal at this small but unique restaurant. Highly recommend -- equal to anything I've eaten in Chicago, London, Paris, Dublin, Budapest, Vienna, Prague. Get the message?

Williams to the South Rim 90 minutes with slow, snowy driving once inside the park. Stayed right on the rim in the Kachina Lodge. Excellent room with Canyon view. Delicious meal at the El Tovar with Irish Coffees in the lounge next to a gorgeous fire. Snowy views of the Grand Canyon were magical!

Day 2, December 8: Drive out of the Canyon park with stops for viewing along the way. 3 1/2 hour drive to Monument Valley with no snow on the roads and wonderful views as we approached Monument Valley. Our ultimate destination was Gouldings Lodge in the middle of the Navajo Reserve, site of an original trading post and the setting for several John Ford/John Wayne Westerns. Amazing views.

Day 3, December 9: Took a 3 1/2 hour tour of the Valley in below freezing temps, but still an incredible, memorable, stunningly beautiful experience.

Day 4, December 10: Back to Williams, AZ -- a 3 1/2 hour drive, for yet another Red Raven lunch, then 3 hours to the Hoover Dam and then another 30 minutes back to Las Vegas.

In spite of the very cold weather, this was the trip of a lifetime for my overseas friend. And while I had already visited the Grand Canyon, Williams, Route 66 and the Hoover Dam it was an unforgettable experience for me.

Thanks again for your help with the planning.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:31 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,947,000 times
Hey Kate - thanks for posting about your trip.

I am so glad that you and your friend had a magical time, and you picked the prefect time. There is just nothing like the beauty with some snow on the ground. I'm glad you got to stay on the Rim and went to the El Tovar. I'm sure your friend will remember the trip always. And every time they watch an old Western movie they can say, "I've been there!" LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona