Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 10:49 PM

12 posts, read 53,135 times

Advertisements

Great appreciation to anyone who might help me plan a memorable trip to the Grand Canyon & Page, AZ to tour Antelope Slot Canyon in early September.

My plan from Phoenix arriving @9:30 a.m. is to drive up to Page, AZ and take the 2-1/2 hour boat tour of Lake Powell @ 4:00.
Stay at Days Inn in Page, AZ for the night.

Next day - Take smooth water float trip of Colorado River from 7:30-12:30.
Then (same day) try to get the 1:00 tour of Antelope Slot Canyon. (not sure how far these are apart but planned to Mapquest it). Afterwards, if not TOO tired (yikes) drive to & hike to see Horseshoe Bend - supposedly about 5 miles away.

Next morning - head out to the Grand Canyon - South rim *which I think is about 2-1/2 hours away (?)*

Does anyone see that I am being too unrealistic in my expectation to accomplish this itinerary for my family. 2-adults and one 13-year-old & one 17-year old? No babies.

Any input/advice would be SO helpful to me. This is costing a small fortune and I want to be sure that I don't make mistakes in my planning. This is a bucket list trip for myself & my kids, so I hope that you can help me.

Feel free to express both positive or negative opinions these activities. Thanks in advance for your help.

Also: What will the weather be the first week in September?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 08:25 AM

3,612 posts, read 7,953,962 times
Phoenix to Page- plenty of time but only if you don't stop anywhere. You will be tempted.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:06 AM

13,269 posts, read 21,887,549 times
I wouldn't plan on being anywhere at 1:00 if your float trip ends at 12:30 unless it's being run by the Swiss Railroad. LOL!

Now I'm assuming you're talking about Upper Antelope Canyon, as you can only view that canyon with a guided tour. However, you can visit Lower Antelope Canyon any time and you don't need a tour. At least that's how it's been in the past, so you might want to confirm just to be sure. Lower is just as nice I feel. So you could save money and not be on such a strict schedule. Don't wait too late in the day though because the light is better when the sun is higher. If you plan on taking pictures, plan on bringing a tripod as exposures of multiple seconds in length are often required. You could do Horseshoe bend afterwards for sunset if you're in good shape. The hike is no longer than 3/4 mile each way, but it's over a sand dune which adds to the exertion. Horseshoe is a must-see though while you're in the area.

First week in September is monsoon season still and should be still be quite warm. It could be muggy as well, at least by Arizona standards which is not nearly as bad as muggy most other places in the country. Rain is a possibility in which case you won't be allowed in the slots because of the danger of flash floods.

To bad you can't stay longer. You are cramming a whole lot into a very short amount of time and there's so much to do and see in and around Page.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:59 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,089,514 times
this doesn't sound too ambitious at all....

make sure you have confirmed hotel reservations each night just so you don't have that worry of chasing down a room at the end of the day....

the drive from Phx to Page is about 5.5 hours, give or take....in Flagstaff, use I-40 E for a few miles to access 89 N to Page (some street driving in Flag)....parts of 89 N of Flag are two-lane, so drive carefully....lots of passing occurs....

confirm exactly where to go for the boat tour that first day....I think there's a $20 fee to enter Glen Canyon Rec Area (National Park area)....

there are options for very popular Antelope....you can just show up there for "tours" of the lower part...or sign up at operators in town for tours of the upper part via jeep....you probably have this set up already....I think your flat water float is from the dam area down to Lee's Ferry, which is a little more than an hour back to the dam/Page....see if the 12:30 end time is back in Page or only the end of the float....from Page to Antelope is only a few miles or less....

Horseshoe Bend is very popular and well-marked S of Page on 89 just a couple miles....you'll see it coming into town the first day....the hike is very short, but has a bit of an incline...may be sandy....wear junky sneakers....I think a guy fell a few days ago there and died...

another $20 to enter Grand Canyon....make sure you have a place to stay...spend lots of time at the canyon....it's a great spot....walk the rim trail in the "village"....walk a ways down the famous Bright Angel Trail to get an entirely different angle on the canyon...watch the mule trains come and go....early mornings and late afternoons are best views because of the shadows in the canyon....lots to see and do, but relax and spend time....

be ready for long distances between towns....lots of driving....dry air....will be warm in the daytime and very cool at night....sunglasses, sunscreen, wide-brimmed hats, only very casual clothes needed.....

do you have time for anything else?.....there is a lot of other things to see along the way, as rational1 said

Old 08-01-2010, 03:36 PM

12 posts, read 53,135 times
Wow! I knew this forum would be an excellent way to get help with planning this trip. THANK YOU for this wonderful advice and guidance.

1) To: azdr0710 - Yes, the float trip is from the dam to Lee's Ferry & after an hour bus ride back - 12:30 puts us back IN Page. I chose to do the float FIRST because of the cooler morning temperature on a 5-hour float trip might make it more enjoyable. The 1:00 Upper Antelope Canyon tour - I was choosing the guided tour because of the GREAT reviews it gets on-line (on Trip Advisor) and the fact that if we go any later that day apparently we will lose all of the good light.

2) To: kdog, azdr710, rational1 - - Yes, we actually DO have more time - 2 more days (?) - Sat & Sun just before Labor Day - so things may be crowded, I realize. That is why I was doing Wed-Thurs-Fri for my initial plan.

DO tell - What else should we see or might we be tempted to see? I'm open for ALL suggestions.

3) Thanks for preparing me for the weather, what to wear + footwear, etc. Monsoon season, Greeaaat. I'll be SO disappointed if we get rained out. We live just south of Memphis, TN in Mississippi - where it doesn't get much more muggy, but the AZ weather will be interesting comparison.

The reason (I'm trying to) cram so much in in such a short time is because of the $$ cost of hotels & cost of time away from work and school.

Imagine too that this trip is once-in-a-lifetime for most families and also out of reach for even more. We probably won't be able to come back for a very long time. Thanks for taking the time to help me have no (or very few) regrets.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:16 AM

849 posts, read 2,927,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLovinLife View Post
My plan from Phoenix arriving @9:30 a.m. is to drive up to Page, AZ and take the 2-1/2 hour boat tour of Lake Powell @ 4:00.
Stay at Days Inn in Page, AZ for the night.
No problem there. Days Inn is pretty decent as well- first place you arrive at in Page pretty much.

Quote:
Next day - Take smooth water float trip of Colorado River from 7:30-12:30.
Then (same day) try to get the 1:00 tour of Antelope Slot Canyon. (not sure how far these are apart but planned to Mapquest it). Afterwards, if not TOO tired (yikes) drive to & hike to see Horseshoe Bend - supposedly about 5 miles away.
You won't make that float trip/Antelope transition. Too close together. I don't know if they offer a later float trip in the afternoon. I would recommend taking the Antelope Canyon tour in the AM- better sunbeams than in the afternoon. Once you get past the noon hour, the light doesn't hit it right. You have to be in there before the sun starts on its way down. If you can flip-flop those two, I'd say you'd be in. I'd snatch up a 9:00 or 10:00 slot tour and then grab an afternoon float trip. Then hike out to horseshoe in the evening...very nice at sunset out there.

Quote:
Next morning - head out to the Grand Canyon - South rim *which I think is about 2-1/2 hours away (?)*
That is about right. South Rim has a LOT of construction going on and is kind of messy. I was a bit disappointed. Stay away from the typical tourist areas near the visitor center, and seek out the viewpoints and trails away from the crowds and backhoes.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:22 AM

The float trips leave from Glen Canyon Dam usually, and end up in Lees Ferry, which is about a 30-45 minute drive back to Page from what I recall. It's not something you want to feel rushed doing. Then you got to get your car back at the dam, then drive into town to catch the slot tour (which you CANNOT pass up). No way you'll make it.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:46 AM

2,926 posts, read 3,109,501 times
Just for kicks, why not do the North Rim instead? Especially since rich67 pointed out the construction at the south rim. . .

Just a thought . . .

good luck and have a great trip.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:37 PM

I was going to suggest that as well, but I think it's a bit more involved. I know Google Maps pegs that drive as like 2.5 hours each way, but isn't it a little longer due to the road conditions? Maybe someone can chime in...I agree though, North Rim would be a lot more peaceful and less commercialized...

Old 08-06-2010, 08:23 PM

2,926 posts, read 3,109,501 times
Google maps is pretty darn accurate, and besides she said she's got two days not yet 'budgeted'. There was another thread about the Grand Canyon here in the CDF AZ section where South Rim and North rim was getting tossed around. My reply was to the effect of, "There's a South Rim, where's that?" I've been to both, but once you go to the North rim, there's no other, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona