Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 11:11 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,776,109 times

Advertisements

Captive Breeding Could Transform the Saltwater Aquarium Trade and Save Coral Reefs, Marine Biologists Say | UT News | The University of Texas at Austin

"One popular method is to use a cyanide solution," says Holt. "It's squirted into the holes and crevices of the reef and it anesthetizes the fish. They float to the surface. Then the collectors can just scoop them up, and the ones that wake up are shipped out."
This method, says Holt, has a number of unfortunate effects. It bleaches the coral. It kills or harms other species that make the coral their home, particularly those that can't swim away from the cyanide. It can deplete or distort the native populations of the species. And it contributes to 80 percent of traded animals dying before ever reaching a tank."

I think I will stick with captive-bred cichlids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 04:20 PM

10,409 posts, read 8,109,335 times
There's a thriving industry already when it comes to captive-bred corals. I'm sure more and more saltwater fish will soon be captive bred as well; it's just a matter of figuring out the tricks to breeding them. Clownfish, for example, are easily bred in captivity.

As more consumers become aware of the issue, I expect the demand for captive-bred saltwater fish to climb.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:19 AM

15,894 posts, read 20,823,010 times
Captive-bred are usually more hardy anyway.

Judging by the trade and FS ads on the local reef forums i'm on, it seems most people in my area are getting captive raised corals these days at least.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:29 AM

Hopefully the saltwater enthusiasts will be more serious about captive-bred it just seems besides clownfish very few options are out there.

Just like consumers who do not realize how many other fish died in the nets before they got the fish that was their dinner, fish keepers have to be cognizant of how many, e.g. puffers, died before the ones arrived at their local shop.

On the other end there does not have to be job loss either as those collecting from natural habitats could instead be working in the breeding industry. Governments have to realize that well-managed reefs will point my tourists dollars their way, otherwise I will just go somewhere else.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:42 AM

371 posts, read 340,096 times
The reefs are facing many other issues...the marine aquaria trade is but one.

I would hope to see more captive rearing and sustainable harvest going on in the countries of origin too which would add value to the reefs. The thing is though that trade of this sort invariably has significant environmental costs...airplanes etc. Unsure if it is a net benefit thru and thru

Old 05-15-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Hopefully the saltwater enthusiasts will be more serious about captive-bred it just seems besides clownfish very few options are out there.
Many marine fish are very tough to breed in captivity because their larval forms exist as part of the oceanic plankton for a time, and depend on other planktonic creatures as food. It's tough to reproduce those conditions in a captive environment. We also don't understand all the environmental triggers that are needed to bring many popular species of reef fish into spawning condition. But people are trying to overcome these problems.

Ironically, corals are easy because while they can reproduce sexually, they also can grow by fission. So a large piece of coral can be fragmented into several smaller pieces, each of which will in time grow into a large coral. And oddly enough, giant clams turn out to be easy to breed in captivity as well -so much so that captive breeding is being used in some places to restock depleted clam stocks in the wild.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornincali View Post
The reefs are facing many other issues...the marine aquaria trade is but one.

I would hope to see more captive rearing and sustainable harvest going on in the countries of origin too which would add value to the reefs. The thing is though that trade of this sort invariably has significant environmental costs...airplanes etc. Unsure if it is a net benefit thru and thru
I would argue that once a captive breeding program, in say Florida, is established the environmental effect is less than continually going 5,000 or more miles to collect them in the wild and the attrition rates that are part of that long chain.

The reefs are subject to many other destructive activities, but that does not mean hobbyist get a free pass by any means. If anything they should be holding themselves to a higher standard as preservation of natural ecosystems directly affects them. It would be odd to take the position that I only care about fish once they reach my tank, that their sole value is monetary. Alas I think there are a lot of vain and selfish hobbyist who think this way.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Many marine fish are very tough to breed in captivity because their larval forms exist as part of the oceanic plankton for a time, and depend on other planktonic creatures as food. It's tough to reproduce those conditions in a captive environment. We also don't understand all the environmental triggers that are needed to bring many popular species of reef fish into spawning condition. But people are trying to overcome these problems.
Which is why I am sticking with cichlids until they figure it out. Less cost and fuss too.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Which is why I am sticking with cichlids until they figure it out. Less cost and fuss too.
A perfectly reasonable choice. Another good option is to make captive-bred invertebrates the main focus of a saltwater tank instead of the fish. Nothing wrong with a gorgeous reef tank that just has a few captive-bread clownfishes and wrasses in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish