Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 02:17 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times

Advertisements

This is a long shot and maybe a little out of place. Have tried other outlets with no luck.
I inherited a 9x10 painting on SILK of a little girl in ethnic clothes in a wheat field holding a bundle of wheat. Believe it to be from the 19th or early 20th century Hungary (via the clothes and artist signature). My mother came from Hungary in 1929 and has had this painting a long time but I cannot recall her telling me anything about it. It was in a old frame for a long time that has been discarded. I'm getting up in yrs and my kids would just dump it.
The painting is very exquisite into detail and has to have some collectors value.
Does anyone know or ever heard of this painter "Teri Fodor"?.
Any replys would be greatly appreciated.
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 05:16 PM

Thanx 2goldens for your suggestion. Tried that already... Also under the Artists/Painters...did find a Fodor but different first name, A lot of same last name people writing books...musicians and the like.
Guess this artist may be a unknown person (reputation wise). I'm no expert on art but as a lay person can see the fine detail and blending of the color tones.
Must of been of some importance otherwise my mother would not have kept it all those yrs.
Next step is to find a Art appraiser in the San Diego area and go from there.
Steve

Old 07-27-2010, 02:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,166 times
Hi there,
My family is also from Hungary. I too found 3 paintings on silk signed Teri Fodor, was wondering if you found anything out regarding the artist? Thanks Gigi
email [email]gigifabo@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 07-27-2010, 03:51 PM

LOng time since I posted the request about Teri Fodor and her painting.

Too be honest I have not had a chance to check any of the local SD places as I've been under the weather since the post. Will check in a couple of places next month after my Dr appointment.

Glad to hear that somone else has her painting...she must have been well known before the 1929 date of my mother coming to Canada. Her sister (my aunt) was already in Canada so do not know how my mother came into possesion of the painting. Cannot recall of her ever telling me about it. It was always in a old frame on the wall.

Do believe that an old silk painting from the late 1800 or early 1900 time period must have some $$$ value.

I will keep your E-Mail address just in case I find out anything.

Steve

Old 04-21-2013, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,290 times
Hi I have a similar situation, my great grandmother came over from Hungary with two old silk paintings, we didn't see an artists signature on it though, but we are wondering if they are worth anything. Have you happened to figure out if yours are worth anything? Any information on them would be helpful since there isn't much out there.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:55 AM

Has been a while. Tried to E-Mail a couple of the SD Art places but had NO response.

Might have to take the painting in person for a visual inspection for any results.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:29 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
That the work was painted on silk is nothing special in itself. Silk is just another background material.

Age alone doesn't increase a painting's value either until a work is truly ancient. The 19th century is not far enough in the past to make age a big factor.

If Teri Fodor is a known artist and has works that have enjoyed steady sales, there is indeed a market for your picture. It's entirely up to you to dig up that market unless you want to pay someone to do it for you.

It seems you still like the piece and have no plans to sell it. Unless you want to get an evaluation for insurance purposes, why bother? Once you're gone, your kids will do what they will. Let them go through the trouble of finding out what the market is then.

Things change continually in art. Any valuation you get now may not be valid next year.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:57 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
In the Fine Art websites where I've participated, people come by almost daily hoping for direction to learn what the art they own is worth. Over the years, myriads of work created by all levels of artists is in countless backrooms or places of honor in front rooms. Hiring a bona fide Fine Art Appraiser is expensive. My recommendation is if a person has art they enjoy, hang it where it can be appreciated and don't be concerned with what it's worth, which is probably not much.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:15 PM

When a person has something old be it a painting, clock, furniture, whatever, pass it down to the most interested Grandchild as a heirloom for future generations to admire it being from a past relative.......afterall MEMORIES are PRICELESS.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:19 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
When a person has something old be it a painting, clock, furniture, whatever, pass it down to the most interested Grandchild as a heirloom for future generations to admire it being from a past relative.......afterall MEMORIES are PRICELESS.
Yup. Usually more than the art, but not always.
It helps a lot if a fmaily member stops and thinks about the family and the art owner before he does anything further.
Some good questions:
-Has the family ever been comfortably well off to wealthy in the past. If so, how far back in the past? Is the family still relatively prosperous?
- Does the family have a dedicated collector in the family tree? If so, what was collected?
- Does the family have a tradition of keeping stuff and passing it on to following generations? If so, what is kept?
- Does the family have an artist in it's family tree? If so, was the member professional or amateur?
- Does the family have a continuing interest in the arts? If so, which art? Were there any professional musicians, dancers, actors, orators, writers, or organization leaders in the past?

There are many more than can be asked. Once a person asks some questions like this, some things become pretty obvious.
A family that has generally been poor to middle class does not commonly spend money on art. If they collect anything, the objects usually have some practical purpose, even if they are artistic.

A family with one collector may have a painting worth some money. Collectors very often buy or swap a piece outside of their area of interest, so they can have something to offer when an interesting piece does come along.

If a family tends to hang on to its stuff and passes it down, there's a good chance a painting may have some value. It depends on circumstances and other things. If a family tends to get rid of Grandpa's stuff, it's doubtful any art will be worth much.

Ancestors who were active in the arts often end up with some paintings, even if art was not where they were active. Professional musicians, for example, can end up with original paintings that were done for advertising printing. Dancers sometimes pose for painters, etc.

An artist in the family tree, even if they are only dedicated amateurs, often end up with a painting of some value. Much depends on location, area population, time period, personal associations, etc.

Art appreciation runs in family trees. Art as an occupation does, too. Both are pretty safe bets whatever art is passed down is pretty good.

But there's always the salesman who gets art instead of money, a maid who is rewarded for good and long service, a long-deceased thief who was too afraid of getting caught to peddle what he stole, and the everyday Joe who fishes out a nice looking painting out of a garbage can on the way to work.

If a painting has a colorful family story surrounding it, it may be valuable, but the story is often incorrect and very inflated in some way.

Odds are if Grandpa liked to go hunting, played poker with the boys and worked at a hard physical job as an employee, whatever picture that was hanging on his wall is a print Grandma bought at a furniture store to decorate a wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts