Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 02:58 AM

14 posts, read 19,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
The great thing about doing art is that the art created by you is solely dependent (ideally at least) on your interpretation. If you feel like you need to study "abstract" by which I think you mean Modern or even Post-Modern art, then do so. Though I don't think one needs to study Modern art to really "successfully" do Modern art. Fatmancomics has the general idea, in essence everything is abstract, thought is an abstraction, how do you interpret it, is what makes you artistically unique.

I can understand if you were a representational painter and wanted to study past masters by copying their works to get a feel or understand "their" visual interpretation but Modern art at least gives you more freedom to distort your visual language and doesn't necessarily adhere to conventional imagery like representation does. You can boil it down to building your own alphabet in terms of doing Modern/Abstract art.

As to your inquiry, I'm rather hesitant to say that you are not apt to delve into it as hesitant an inquiry as yours would indicate. Who knows, art as it is defined today has no boundaries as indicated by art critics that somehow have managed to appear as some kind of moniker to define "what is" with the illusion of "progression" in art. Just do it, as Nike says.

A mentor, hmmm ..., a mentor would or should only serve as a someone to help guide your thoughts, clarify what you do. Be very wary of self-proclaimed mentors who make you or direct you in a certain way, these kinds of mentors are the death of artistic individualism.

Hope that helps. All the best.

And I just realize this thread is about two years old.

Wow Amazingly written.. I completely admire you for this answer.. I became a fan of yours..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts