Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 06:07 PM

9 posts, read 33,530 times

Advertisements

I am planning on taking a travel health care job in the Springdale/Fayetteville area and possibly re-locating permanently from Michigan. Can anyone tell me what this area is like? I am looking for an area with low crime, small-town feel but also things to do nearby, although, it can be in the middle of nowhere. I am also interested in the Bull Shoals/Mountain Home area. Any tips about these places and how they are for re-location? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 09:02 PM

654 posts, read 1,910,032 times
If you are in heath care, you shouldn't be a problem getting a job in either area. Fayetteville/Springdale/Rogers/Bentonville should be waiting on you since of their growth rate. Mountain Home/Bull Shoals Lake area is a little different. While growing, it is not in the same league as NWA. However you might still find your career in health care a huge bonus due to the number of retirees.

I grew up in the Mountain Home area. I had a number for friends from Michigan. Sometimes the south gets a bad rep on how unfriendly they are to northerners. Come with an open mind and you'll be fine.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:30 AM

I will be in the rehab field...certified occupational therapy assistant

Old 08-11-2007, 10:50 PM

4 posts, read 14,485 times
Springdale? Or do you mean "Little Mexico?" If you want the honest truth, I would not move to Springdale, as the huge influx of illegal immigrants (or, "potential new citizens" if you prefer the PC version) has increased drug dealing, crime, burdened the local public schools, brought once-thought eradicated or at least controlled diseases into the local schools (with our children...these people don't care if they bring TB to your kids), and generally made it a miserable place to live. Fayetteville is excellent, however. Move to Fayetteville. This might sound negative, but check it out for yourself if you don't believe (or want to believe) me. You'll notice that Springdale is run-down...while Fayetteville has a more progressive feel, and presents a more intellectual and educated population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellie816 View Post
I am planning on taking a travel health care job in the Springdale/Fayetteville area and possibly re-locating permanently from Michigan. Can anyone tell me what this area is like? I am looking for an area with low crime, small-town feel but also things to do nearby, although, it can be in the middle of nowhere. I am also interested in the Bull Shoals/Mountain Home area. Any tips about these places and how they are for re-location? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:22 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
Exclamation Let's don't slot people

Let's refrain from categorizing people, shall we? Call it PC or whatever, but let's not say all immigrants are bringing TB into the schools? Perhaps, just maybe, "these people" aren't illegal at all?

After all, we DID have a recent prisoner who escaped UAMS in Little Rock who had active TB - an adult - not an immigrant....maybe he got it from the contagious attorney who flew halfway around the world from Atlanta....ooo, also not an immigrant....or maybe the guy in Denver.....ooops, another non-immigrant....

I do agree that of the two towns, F'ville is preferred in my book simply because there is more to do. Bull Shoals and Mtn. Home are both gorgeous areas to live. Unfortunately, both are over 2 hours from Fayetteville and nowhere close to any major hospital. However, with the number of retirees in the Mountain Home area, I would think you would be able to find a clinic or rehab facility to work at fairly close to home.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
I agree with Sam. Why would anyone think that only illegals carry deseases or all people of a different race (this case hispanic) are illegal. We have many here in NM and yes, they are a problem, but many families living here with names different that Smith and Jones have been here for 100s of years. They are as legal as any of us.

I may not like the illegal situation, but I certainly don't think all hispanics are here undocumented. What a statement to make.

Nita

Old 08-13-2007, 09:32 AM

13 posts, read 56,990 times
Default Re-Location to Springdale/Fayeteville area

St Mary's Hospital is opening soon on I540 at the Pinnacle in Rogers Ar. This might be an option for you. Just a few minutes from Bentonville, Centerton, Cave Springs, Lowell, Elm Springs. Washinton Regional in Fayetteville is also an excellent choice and there are rehab facilitys in Fayetteville, Bentonville, Rogers, and yes Springdale. Just to set the record straight, I have lived in Springdale, my children went to school there, as any growing city it has it's adjustments to make, there are some very nice area's to live there so pick the home that will make you happy. Happy Hunting

Old 08-13-2007, 02:53 PM

Thanks for all the replies! Just as an FYI, I live about two miles from Detroit, MI. This is one of the worst cities to me to live in or even near to, so I am looking for something completely opposite of Detroit, if anyone knows what I mean. It was ranked as one of the nations most dangerous cities, and is not a pleasant place to be near.

Jackie )

Old 08-13-2007, 03:05 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,270,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellie816 View Post
Thanks for all the replies! Just as an FYI, I live about two miles from Detroit, MI. This is one of the worst cities to me to live in or even near to, so I am looking for something completely opposite of Detroit, if anyone knows what I mean. It was ranked as one of the nations most dangerous cities, and is not a pleasant place to be near.

Jackie )
I think anywhere in Arkansas is the opposite of Detroit!

My son worked for the Genesee County Prosecutor's office for a year - he could hardly WAIT to get back to Arkansas, although after a number of years in Michigan the heat back home got him at first...but not nearly as much as the cold did Up North ("Up North" is anything north of Memphis...)

Bellie, are you a recent grad from college - wanna just give us a vague age bracket? If you're newly graduated, I'd say Fayetteville for sure, although there are a lot of young professionals and the hospitals in Little Rock. UAMS and Baptist both run schools in Little Rock as well, so there's a good-sized medical community.

I think you'll like it here - at least we hope so - how long will you be here? I know a lot of travel companies go on 6 month contracts?

Old 08-13-2007, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I think anywhere in Arkansas is the opposite of Detroit!

My son worked for the Genesee County Prosecutor's office for a year - he could hardly WAIT to get back to Arkansas, although after a number of years in Michigan the heat back home got him at first...but not nearly as much as the cold did Up North ("Up North" is anything north of Memphis...)

Bellie, are you a recent grad from college - wanna just give us a vague age bracket? If you're newly graduated, I'd say Fayetteville for sure, although there are a lot of young professionals and the hospitals in Little Rock. UAMS and Baptist both run schools in Little Rock as well, so there's a good-sized medical community.

I think you'll like it here - at least we hope so - how long will you be here? I know a lot of travel companies go on 6 month contracts?
I am 21 years old, and my husband is 22. We have no kids, just a 170 lb dog I would probably be there a good couple of months...and eventually maybe even re-locate as long as I liked it. I have a lot of people telling me that the 'south doesn't like the north', however I have a feeling they don't know what they are talking about...just going by rumors. I really want a nice neighborhood, low crime, and a small town country type of feel. I know this sounds probably very ridiculous, but when I think of the south, I think of Paula Dean (Food network), and those are definitely the types of people that I would want to be my neighbor! :O
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers