Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2020, 12:46 PM

231 posts, read 381,576 times

Advertisements

An article in the paper talked about XNA expanding the TSA checkpoint from 3 to 4 lanes. Found this interesting because I had no idea it was expanding. We just recently had the parking deck opened. This got me thinking about the long term future and viability of the space and wanted to see what people thought on the matter. This is more for fun but will also let visitors know more about our area.

Assuming our region continues to grow at or exceeding our current rate:

1) Do you think the Building has the design considerations to expand to international airport size?

2) Do you think the building was designed in a good location on the property to support the long-term expansion needs of the airport? Do you think enough land is owned all around it?

3) When do you think businesses and residential will start filling in around the airport? I have always wondered why more development hasn’t happened next to it.

4) Do you think transportation to and from the airport has been taken seriously for long-term planning? Obviously we don’t have much for roads to it but I know plans have been proposed for better connectivity.

5) Do you think the airport has the design considerations and leadership to set itself apart from other large airports?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 06:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Good questions and these are just my opinions, based on nothing really.

I think they do intend on expanding and adding more airlines. As for international that might be a stretch but could happen and would probably be great for the community.

I wish they would develop the land around XNA. there is nothing to speak of there. I can remember years ago when Dullas Airport outside of DC was that way. Suddenly it grew and grew and the land was well used. There has been talk about building another hotel near the airport. It would be nice to have a hotel with a restaurant so people could park their car and be able to enjoy a meal before heading to bed, before an early morning flight.

The transportation to and from the airport is fine now but with the possibility of so much growth it could end up a nightmare if more isn't added.

Old 01-11-2020, 03:46 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,191,352 times
1) Are there actually size requirements for being an international airport or do you just have to an international flight coming in and leaving? Currently allegient doesn't fly international but if they expanded to something like Cancun, I guess that would probably be XNA's bets possibility at being an international airport.

2) It's in the middle of nowhere so that's a good thing for growth. A lot of major airports are kind of in the middle of nowhere. Being right in the middle of a city like St Louis's airport is makes it hard to grow.

3) That's a tough one. There is more housing being built in that area all of the time. Also, the Wal Mart DC is there so I would say it's just a matter of time. Once they put in a grocery store I think it would help the retail expand. For people that live out there, the closest grocery store is a ways away. WMNM maket on I street? Go to Centerton?

4) Maybe some day 112 becomes a major highway that has a loop to get you to the airport. The airport itself could probably triple in size and that alone wouldn't require road expansion. That's going to be a result of the overall growth of NWA, specifically western Bentonville, Centeron, Cave Springs, etc.

5)I've flown out of XNA twice. I don't really have any insight on this. I will say I would rather pay a little extra an fly out of XNA than drive to Tulsa. Nothing about the airport feels trashy, poorly planned or as if I'm missing out on something by not flying out of a major ariport. The TSA line was a bit cramped but now that they've addressed that it should help.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knrstz View Post
1) Are there actually size requirements for being an international airport or do you just have to an international flight coming in and leaving? Currently allegient doesn't fly international but if they expanded to something like Cancun, I guess that would probably be XNA's bets possibility at being an international airport.

2) It's in the middle of nowhere so that's a good thing for growth. A lot of major airports are kind of in the middle of nowhere. Being right in the middle of a city like St Louis's airport is makes it hard to grow.

3) That's a tough one. There is more housing being built in that area all of the time. Also, the Wal Mart DC is there so I would say it's just a matter of time. Once they put in a grocery store I think it would help the retail expand. For people that live out there, the closest grocery store is a ways away. WMNM maket on I street? Go to Centerton?

4) Maybe some day 112 becomes a major highway that has a loop to get you to the airport. The airport itself could probably triple in size and that alone wouldn't require road expansion. That's going to be a result of the overall growth of NWA, specifically western Bentonville, Centeron, Cave Springs, etc.

5)I've flown out of XNA twice. I don't really have any insight on this. I will say I would rather pay a little extra an fly out of XNA than drive to Tulsa. Nothing about the airport feels trashy, poorly planned or as if I'm missing out on something by not flying out of a major ariport. The TSA line was a bit cramped but now that they've addressed that it should help.
We too would much rather fly out of XNA than deal with driving to Tulsa. When it comes down to considering everything unless you are saving a bundle it probably isn't anymore expensive to fly out of here. Also more airlines are adding through, non stop flights to major cities from XNA. That is a positive. I happen to love our airport, just wish there was a bit more around it

Old 01-13-2020, 09:00 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,131,585 times
XNA is growing rapidly in terms of enplanements (passengers boarding there). If growth continues, it will pass the 1 million mark within two years. That would put it on a par with and maybe exceed the passenger traffic at LIT.

Old 01-15-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
XNA is growing rapidly in terms of enplanements (passengers boarding there). If growth continues, it will pass the 1 million mark within two years. That would put it on a par with and maybe exceed the passenger traffic at LIT.
Looks like we should hit 1 million this year unless the airport has a slowdown. Might pass LIT in a few years.

https://talkbusiness.net/2020/01/xna...ecord-in-2019/

Old 01-16-2020, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaple4 View Post
Looks like we should hit 1 million this year unless the airport has a slowdown. Might pass LIT in a few years.

https://talkbusiness.net/2020/01/xna...ecord-in-2019/
I may have heard this wrong as I was fixing dinner when the local news came on a couple of nights ago but I think they actually passed a million in 2019.

Old 01-16-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I may have heard this wrong as I was fixing dinner when the local news came on a couple of nights ago but I think they actually passed a million in 2019.
Total passengers yes. 1.8 I think. The statistic they look at is total departing (Enplanements). Not sure why they don’t use total Enplanements and deplanements
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers