Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 05:30 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times

Advertisements

My mom is 66 years old and is receiving chemotherapy for lung cancer. Lately she has complained that her skin is extremely dry and her makeup doesn't go on smoothly. She's looking for some effective products. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 07:49 PM

620 posts, read 1,837,979 times
I think she should give emu oil a try. You can order it on ebay. Good luck to her.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:32 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
No need to go for exotic animal fats...

2 drops of olive oil from the kitchen cabinet, mixed with a pea-sized glob of shea butter, which you can buy at any health food store. Rub the combination between the hands, then dab your newly-moistened fingertips gently over the face. You can use this on your legs, elbows, anywhere the skin is dry. She'll need to avoid the eyelids, and avoid getting too close to the lower lash area. You only need the tiniest bit for the face; too much and your makeup will smear and look greasy. This combination is amazing for a completely unscented "body butter" (chemo patients tend to be a little sensitive to perfumes).

Old 04-21-2010, 07:16 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
Thank you both! I will pass this along to my mom.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:36 PM

687 posts, read 1,118,797 times
I would suggest the Miracle Worker products by Philosophy especially the Retinol with pads and moisturizer. She can get it on QVC.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:07 AM

I'd be very careful about using products containing retinol or any alpha or beta hydroxy acids if you're on chemo. Most skin care applications don't -really- work on a cellular level as they advertise they do but it's still something you'd want to check with your mom's doctor first.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:53 AM

687 posts, read 1,118,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'd be very careful about using products containing retinol or any alpha or beta hydroxy acids if you're on chemo. Most skin care applications don't -really- work on a cellular level as they advertise they do but it's still something you'd want to check with your mom's doctor first.
It's not the typical retinal that dries out your skin and makes it irritated. I have been using it for the last week especially on top of my hands which really show age and my skin is so much smoother and softer, and no, I don't sell the stuff

Old 04-22-2010, 08:21 AM

It has nothing to do with the brand name. The person who posted isn't talking about "my mom, who has dry skin and is looking for a nice handcreme." The person is posting about "my mom, who is on chemotherapy treatment for cancer, having massive quantities of toxins intentionally injected into her body for the purpose of murdering cancer cells, and these toxins -might- have seriously dangerous interactions with other things introduced via the skin."

Old 04-22-2010, 01:39 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Amazon.com: Beauty Pearls for Chemo Girls (9780806531182): Marybeth Maida, Debbie Kiederer: Books

Maybe a book for her? She is may have more issues later on so she may like to have it so she does not feel so lost in wondering what to do.

I would pick her up a Vaseline for during the chemo. I would not use emu or olive oil. They both have vitamin e in them and you are not suppose to take vitamin e during chemo because it can make it less effective. Vitamin e is in a lot of natural oils and skin conditioners. The skin does absorb things and I would not chance it with cancer.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:33 PM

Olive oil doesn't have any vitamin E in it. Olive oil is olive oil. You cook with it. You pour it on your salads. Emu oil is oil rendered from the fat of an emu. It also doesn't contain any vitamin E in it.

HOWEVER: there might be preparations that contain olive oil AND vitamin E, or emu oil AND vitamin E. I don't know anything about emu oil preparations, except that some of them sold in the USA are marketed deceptively, and it's one of those buyer beware situations.

Olive oil, on the other hand, is just olive oil. You buy it in the supermarket in the same aisle as all the other cooking oils. I would use the regular olive oil rather than the virgin or EVOO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty