Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 01:06 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,950,019 times

Advertisements

I wear baseball caps without baseball printing on them. Most are black, OD green, coyote brown or navy blue. I don't wear a fedora, but do wear a M81 woodland boonie hat a lot. Gotta have the hat somehow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 08:33 PM

692 posts, read 1,005,436 times
Quote:
Wearing a ballcap indoors makes a man look like a hick.
I do wish the wearing a baseball hat everywhere you go fad would die out. It's weird to me since when I was a kid the only time you ever wore one was when you were actually playing baseball or something recreational or to actually protect your head from something. Even when I was in college which wasn't that long ago only about half the guys wore them around campus. Girls only did it on bad hair days. Now it's epic. Also after your mid twenties intentionally wearing your hat backwards or side tilted everywhere you go should be banned.

I love hats on women. I didn't give a crap about the royal wedding, but I loved all the photos of the women in their amazing hats. I wish hats at weddings and on holidays and special events other than Easter and the Derby were more common in the U.S.

About the skirt thing, with the exception of the beach and exercising I gave up on shorts long ago and wear skirts and dresses in hot weather. Why? I refuse to be a wedge picker. I have witnessed far too many women wearing shorts with painful looking butt wedges (they may be perfectly comfortable but it doesn't look like it since the seat is just jammed up in there) They constantly tug and pick them out when becaue their shorts don't fit them properly which is 90% of the women I see. Go up a size or stop wearing Daisy Dukes and you won't have give yourself proctology exam every third step!

Old 07-05-2012, 01:47 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,398,118 times
I am a fan of the trend back to fedoras and pork pie hats. However, the look needs to be complete, some sort of semi-business dress is needed. The whole frat boy wearing shorts, t-shirt and a straw fedora is a no-go. It doesn't have to be a full-on suit everytime, but something more than shorts/t-shirt.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:35 PM

114 posts, read 214,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I am a fan of the trend back to fedoras and pork pie hats. However, the look needs to be complete, some sort of semi-business dress is needed. The whole frat boy wearing shorts, t-shirt and a straw fedora is a no-go. It doesn't have to be a full-on suit everytime, but something more than shorts/t-shirt.
I agree with this. Which is why, I think Fedoras are cool but I don't wear them. They only look good if you're wearing a suit, button down shirt and vest. And I'm too much of a casual guy to do that.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:30 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,275,966 times
I'm not a hat person -- I think it's a hipster affectation.... but years ago, I did see an older gentleman one day wearing a hat walking down a sidewalk. A funeral procession drove by, and he stopped in his tracks, took off his hat and held it over his heart as the cars rode by.

Now THAT'S class.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:16 PM

19,730 posts, read 20,271,976 times
Love hats, but not when it's 100 degrees out...

Old 07-06-2012, 07:15 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,384,306 times
I wish more women would wear fashionable hats (instead of those style-less baseball caps). Hats are fun, stylish, and show individuality.

I wear hats all the time. Wide brimmed sun hats in the summer - in all colors. Knit / wool / fur / cashmere hats in the winter. Handmade crochet hats in the Fall and Spring. I wear straw hats, ski hats, slouchy hats, floppy hats, cowboy hats, etc... I also sometimes wear pins/ crochet flowers on my hat or stick things in the hat band (e.g. like a flower/sand dollar in a beach hat). I don't ever do baseball caps though (unless I'm at Wrigley Field - my only exception).

I am complemented often on my hat. Strangers often approach me to ask where I got my hat. Some benefits of hat-wearing:

- Stylish
- Sun protection (My face is aging well which I attribute to my lifelong love of hats)
- Can hide messy hair

To the ladies.... I think many men like women in hats. I met my hubby while wearing my favorite winter wool hat. The first thing he ever said to me was "I like your hat." I have not conducted an official study, but I'm sure more men approach me when I am wearing a hat. I'm not sure why that is.

I think men especially like the little 70's crochet hat with the flower on the side (like the one worn in the movie Love Story). This hat is like a guy magnet. LOL... I have been approached by men quite a few times while wearing that particular hat. I don't know what it is? The innocence that the hat projects? LOL My hubby thinks it just looks cute and agrees men are attracted to women in hats.

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 07-06-2012 at 07:29 PM..

Old 07-06-2012, 08:33 PM

102,227 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
When did wearing a fedora go out of style? Seems like in the '30s and '40s, a man wasn't considered dressed for public if he didn't put on his fedora. He tipped it to the ladies, took it off indoors, or if the flag came by.

Nowadays, IF a man wears a hat, it's generally a baseball-style cap...and he feels no compulsion to tip it to a lady, or take it off when entering a building. You'll even see men with ball caps on as the flag goes by them.

Now, I'm willing to admit that I've been guilty of this myself, where it comes to ball caps (except for the thing about the flag)--but when exactly did the fedora go out of style?
When I saw the title, I thought this thread was about women's hats. Women's hats never go out of style. The right hat really accentuates a woman's features. I love hats.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:31 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,275,966 times
This is story about my beloved mother who I miss WAY more than I ever thought possible after losing her two years ago..

I look SO gawd-awful in hats, my mother would take me to the hat section of the department store and try hats on me and laugh. Eventually, I'd start laughing, too, because there isn't a hat out there that doesn't make me look I should be in overalls, barefoot, with a moonshine jug slung over my shoulder and piece of timothy grass hanging out of my mouth.

I'm in the minority here, but I am so happy that the white gloves and pearls Junior League look is gone, and will never come back.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:06 AM

1,171 posts, read 1,950,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I wish more women would wear fashionable hats (instead of those style-less baseball caps). Hats are fun, stylish, and show individuality.

I wear hats all the time. Wide brimmed sun hats in the summer - in all colors. Knit / wool / fur / cashmere hats in the winter. Handmade crochet hats in the Fall and Spring. I wear straw hats, ski hats, slouchy hats, floppy hats, cowboy hats, etc... I also sometimes wear pins/ crochet flowers on my hat or stick things in the hat band (e.g. like a flower/sand dollar in a beach hat). I don't ever do baseball caps though (unless I'm at Wrigley Field - my only exception).

I am complemented often on my hat. Strangers often approach me to ask where I got my hat. Some benefits of hat-wearing:

- Stylish
- Sun protection (My face is aging well which I attribute to my lifelong love of hats)
- Can hide messy hair

To the ladies.... I think many men like women in hats. I met my hubby while wearing my favorite winter wool hat. The first thing he ever said to me was "I like your hat." I have not conducted an official study, but I'm sure more men approach me when I am wearing a hat. I'm not sure why that is.

I think men especially like the little 70's crochet hat with the flower on the side (like the one worn in the movie Love Story). This hat is like a guy magnet. LOL... I have been approached by men quite a few times while wearing that particular hat. I don't know what it is? The innocence that the hat projects? LOL My hubby thinks it just looks cute and agrees men are attracted to women in hats.
We don't care. A hat is a hat. Yes, it's true...at least for myself and the guys I hang with. Nice!
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/WOMEN-RASPBER...JTww~~60_3.JPG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty