Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 07:06 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,386,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Oh good grief. Precious was about an overweight girl. Who's going to play her, Zoe Saldana? I don't know why it's an issue that Sidibe is overweight. Maybe she will lose weight, maybe she won't.
She is a bad role model to younger girls, promoting the notion that it's ok to be fat. It isn't ok to be fat- b/c it's unhealthy- by the same token, being too thin is unhealthy as well. But famous people should strive to be a happy medium, NOT too fat or too thin- b/c they have young people that look up to them and alot of them don't know better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 07:12 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
She is a bad role model to younger girls, promoting the notion that it's ok to be fat. It isn't ok to be fat- b/c it's unhealthy- by the same token, being too thin is unhealthy as well. But famous people should strive to be a happy medium, NOT too fat or too thin- b/c they have young people that look up to them and alot of them don't know better.
Again, the book is about a fat girl. Should we not have books about fat girls? I really don't think anyone aspires to be "Precious" ... not even Precious herself. You know what the story is about, right?

You're surely not saying that a fat girl should not have been nominated for an Oscar because her effect on the female population's weight is more important than her accomplishment as an actor.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:05 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,635,836 times
Quote:
The actor's job is to portray a character, not to be role models for children. Kids shouldn't be learning what is and isn't OK from Hollywood, that is the parents' job.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
The actor's job is to portray a character, not to be role models for children. Kids shouldn't be learning what is and isn't OK from Hollywood, that is the parents' job.
You are right but they do. Unfortunately more kids than not these day try to emulate their favourite stars. I'm not agreeing with it, but it's out there.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Again, the book is about a fat girl. Should we not have books about fat girls? I really don't think anyone aspires to be "Precious" ... not even Precious herself. You know what the story is about, right?

You're surely not saying that a fat girl should not have been nominated for an Oscar because her effect on the female population's weight is more important than her accomplishment as an actor.
She got the Oscar, congrats to her. Did she deserve it? I don't know. I don't think she is that great of an actress, and I would be saying the same thing if she were thin. But part of it makes me wonder if she got the oscar b/c she is overweight...sympathy votes...b/c you know people would have a fit if she didn't.

The thread was about the gown, so back on topic, her gown was awful, did her no justice and looked like a muumuu. There are many overweight women who dress well for their bodies and know how to make it work. She isn't one of them.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:11 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,557,216 times
Quote:
She got the Oscar, congrats to her. Did she deserve it? I don't know. I don't think she is that great of an actress, and I would be saying the same thing if she were thin. But part of it makes me wonder if she got the oscar b/c she is overweight...sympathy votes...b/c you know people would have a fit if she didn't.

The thread was about the gown, so back on topic, her gown was awful, did her no justice and looked like a muumuu. There are many overweight women who dress well for their bodies and know how to make it work. She isn't one of them.
She did NOT win an Oscar! Did you even watch?

Old 03-09-2010, 09:29 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times
Quote:
Yes, I heard that overweight women everywhere are currently picketing Sandra Bullock's house.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
She did NOT win an Oscar! Did you even watch?
I didn't watch...channel 7 went out, I saw the gowns online. I just assumed she got the oscar by the way everyone was talking.

My apologies then.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:49 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,404,454 times
Quote:
I didn't watch...channel 7 went out, I saw the gowns online. I just assumed she got the oscar by the way everyone was talking.

My apologies then.
Cablevision worked out a deal and they were back on air for the Oscars. But they do list the winners on news websites, like CNN and such. (I didn't watch the Oscars myself.)

Out of curiosity, what type of gown would you suggest Gabourey Sidibe wear?

I don't think she looked bad at all. I saw bigger offenses coming from the thinner starlets (just because it's fresh off a designer couture runway, doesn't mean they should wear it.)

Old 03-09-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Cablevision worked out a deal and they were back on air for the Oscars. But they do list the winners on news websites, like CNN and such. (I didn't watch the Oscars myself.)

Out of curiosity, what type of gown would you suggest Gabourey Sidibe wear?

I don't think she looked bad at all. I saw bigger offenses coming from the thinner starlets (just because it's fresh off a designer couture runway, doesn't mean they should wear it.)
Something that covers her arms at least! I don't know what would look good...as I'm not a fashion consultant, nor am I overweight, but dear god, those arms!! I'm sorry...not flattering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty