Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 08:32 PM

66 posts, read 80,003 times

Advertisements

Think about switching to a Double-edge razor. That's what I use and I have a very rough/coarse beard.

There is a slight learning curve but you may find shaving to be much more pleasant this way.

All of the modern multi-blade cartridges and electric shavers are just costly gimmicks that attempt to use speed and convenience to mask comfort and quality of shaving. Fact is, all you need is a single blade and some technique for a great shave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 08:49 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Get a real razor, 1 blade Merkur...

With these there is no tug or pull like the multi-bladed razors and the shave is closer. You'll never go back.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:35 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
I use an electric trimmer first to make the hair shorter. Hurts like heck if i dont

Old 06-24-2014, 11:58 AM

66 posts, read 80,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Get a real razor, 1 blade Merkur...

With these there is no tug or pull like the multi-bladed razors and the shave is closer. You'll never go back.
Right on, I love my Merkur slant razor

Old 06-24-2014, 03:36 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,039 times
Shaving is the same whether male or female. Open the pores by using hot water, then rub in your shaving lather (dont just slap it on). Let it sit for a moment then shave WITH the grain. Dont rush! Rinse your razor after every stroke and dont beat it against the sink or tub. Then reapply your lather and shave AGAINST the grain. When finished rinse your face/legs with cold water to close the pores. Pat dry with a clean dry towel.

And dont leave your razor in the shower. Dry it off and keep it in a cool dry place. Leaving it in the shower will just cause it to rust and trust me you dont want to shave with a rusty razor.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:47 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,195,349 times
Electrics just make it worse, and if you are prone to getting painful razor burn, you haven't experienced a lovely one from an electric.

Post above mine is great. I shave in the shower and shave with the grain using hot water... if I decide I don't want to shave for a few days I go against the grain with cold water.

After I've dried off I use the Tendskin stuff... burns like heck for a second but it's basically alcohol with aspirin in it. Keeps stuff from getting infected.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:48 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Forgot to comment on shaving lathers/creams. My skin is irritated by chemicals, so I use extra virgin olive oil (cold pressed) or coconut oil, super nice close shave, zero irritation and naturally moisturizes skin. The Romans and Native Americans did skincare the best IMO.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:53 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,950,547 times
I wish I had coarser facial hair where I have a five o'clock shadow showing - it's very attractive on a man since it doesn't make you look like a boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty