Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 08:58 AM

544 posts, read 1,494,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee22 View Post
I dont have a fur coat and i dont want one, the animals need the fur more then i do.
what do you say?
I'm totally with you. I've seen films depicting animals being electrocuted by putting a metal rod in their bottoms, and then skinned alive. I think fur is a travesty. But I think that about eating meat, too. Even fish have intelligence and personalities. I don't eat anything with a face - which is probably why I'm 60 in July, have had MS for decades, and people think I'm in my 30's. I don't put garbage in my body. And I don't wear the skins of some poor being that dies because of my arrogance and selfishness.

What's really creepy is that sometimes the innocent looking fur trims you see on clothing made in China is actually made from cat fur. I've seen films about that, too. Thing is, if you care about the truth, and can stand to examine it, your life will be forever changed. There is really no excuse for people to behave like this, so heartlessly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 06:48 AM

260 posts, read 551,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
If you think animals and humans are equal then nothing I can say is going to convince you otherwise. Perhaps you even put animals above humans?

Are you pro-choice by any chance?
humans are animals.

To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being. I should be unwilling to take the life of a lamb for the sake of the human body.
--Mohandas Gandhi

Old 02-22-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
However if, like meat, the animals and trapped and killed humanely AND the other body parts are used to some degree, I don't see the issue.
There is a woman in my town who rescues dogs and cats but balks at being a vegetarian. Her dad was a farmer and according to her, "loved animals" and treated them well. I guess they weren't involved in the butchering of them. Over and over again, this end of the animals' life has been documented, and it is anything but humane. It's pretty horrible.

I really have no patience for people who support the care of little cute, fuzzy, sweet animals but not all the others. IMHO, this is a profound hypocrisy and is a matter of holding contradictory thoughts simultaneously, without any logical connection. This woman told me she loved bacon and hamburgers and these animals were "raised for that purpose." I feel differently; animals have lives and purposes of their own.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:36 AM

4,264 posts, read 6,219,532 times
I don't wear fur. When I see women wearing it I automatically think that they are shallow and vain. Wearing fur is tacky, imo.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:54 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,970,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
There is a woman in my town who rescues dogs and cats but balks at being a vegetarian. Her dad was a farmer and according to her, "loved animals" and treated them well. I guess they weren't involved in the butchering of them. Over and over again, this end of the animals' life has been documented, and it is anything but humane. It's pretty horrible.

I really have no patience for people who support the care of little cute, fuzzy, sweet animals but not all the others. IMHO, this is a profound hypocrisy and is a matter of holding contradictory thoughts simultaneously, without any logical connection. This woman told me she loved bacon and hamburgers and these animals were "raised for that purpose." I feel differently; animals have lives and purposes of their own.
I'm a vegetarian, too. I think you may have taken what I was saying out of context, as I agree with what you're saying. I have made a personal choice not to eat meat, but I can't say that from an evolutionary and "food chain" standpoint, the concept of eating meat and using an animal's parts for warmth, etc. is wrong. I just think that 99.9999% of food production and ALL commercial fur operations nowadays are horrible. So, I don't choose to support either industry. With the comment you quoted me on I was kind of trying to play "devil's advocate" of sorts.

I, too, hate the mindset of "defend the cute and furry" but not the others. I completely totally agree with what you're saying, sorry if my other post came out as otherwise, no need to label me as a hypocrite.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I completely totally agree with what you're saying, sorry if my other post came out as otherwise, no need to label me as a hypocrite.

I honestly wasn't thinking about you when I wrote about what I feel is the hypocrisy in this woman's position. Honestly I wasn't labeling you, at all. So sorry if it seemed that way. I was only writing with her (position) in mind, and wasn't thinking in terms of your post at all.

This is a very devisive subject. In one of Jane Goodall's books she wrote that people frequently ask her how she can go into labs where they use primates for research, and not go mad and start going off on people. She says she doesn't react that way because it won't do any good and it won't help the animals. I really don't want to fight about it, I just want to participate in a "tipping point" where, at some point in time, more people than not feel repulsed by buying fur, eating meat, and related subjects.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:12 PM

50,714 posts, read 64,917,369 times
What's the difference with wearing a fur coat and wearing leather shoes, or eating a burger? The animals in question were raised for this purpose and would not have been born otherwise. My objection lies with whether or not they were humanely harvested.
I have a fur coat from 1988. Would I buy one now? Probably not, but what it represents to me is that my husband wanted to do something special for me and so he bought it for me. The raccoons were already dead when he bought it. Furthermore, a lot of women have fur coats passed down to them from their mothers. The coats do not represent the death of animals, but they conjure up memories of their mothers when they went out for a special occasion.
If I thought for one minute that my not wearing fur, or never eating meat again, would make one whit of difference in animal suffering, then I would never eat it or wear it, but that's just not realistic.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
If I thought for one minute that my not wearing fur, or never eating meat again, would make one whit of difference in animal suffering, then I would never eat it or wear it, but that's just not realistic.
I don't want to contradict your feelings, but I believe it would make a great deal of difference. That would mean that many animals that would not have to be killed to feed you. It would improve your health, the health of the planet, and in conjunction with other like minded people, have a substantial affect.

The individual may always feel that their contribution doesn't matter in the larger picture, but multiplied by each individual, it does. Think of an issue like not running water while you're brushing your teeth. One person doesn't matter. Ten thousand people do make a great deal of difference.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:29 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,970,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scsigurl3000 View Post
I honestly wasn't thinking about you when I wrote about what I feel is the hypocrisy in this woman's position. Honestly I wasn't labeling you, at all. So sorry if it seemed that way. I was only writing with her (position) in mind, and wasn't thinking in terms of your post at all.

This is a very devisive subject. In one of Jane Goodall's books she wrote that people frequently ask her how she can go into labs where they use primates for research, and not go mad and start going off on people. She says she doesn't react that way because it won't do any good and it won't help the animals. I really don't want to fight about it, I just want to participate in a "tipping point" where, at some point in time, more people than not feel repulsed by buying fur, eating meat, and related subjects.
No worries...I wasn't upset...I just wanted to make sure my stance was clear.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:30 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,657,612 times
I don't agree with animal cruelty at all.

But if they are butchered humanely and what not, I see no reason not to use the other parts as well as it would such a waste...

Finally, if a carnivorous animal was chasing me down and I had no where left to run, I will defend myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty