Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 02:08 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,507,666 times

Advertisements

For a posed family photos, I have had us all in similarly themed clothing (khakis and denim shirt or outdoorsy sweater; jeans with black top etc). But for just an outing? Never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 07:33 PM

6 posts, read 13,805 times
I have always wanted to do this but my DH always gets mad. Cant win them all...

Old 12-05-2009, 08:24 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,817,360 times
Everytime I go to Disney (we were there 2 weeks ago) I consider doing this - but I remember only when I see the families all in the same color tshirt. Im not a Tshirt person anyway.

For our RARE family picture - we try - though arent always successful. Its a feat just getting a picture scheduled and finding something to wear that everyone doesnt have a complaint about and looks good in!

Old 12-06-2009, 06:58 AM

496 posts, read 1,252,760 times
no matching outfits for us. but when in disney or a place like that i always dress my kids in vibrant colors so that i can spot them more easily. btw i don't see anything wrong with matching outfits, but i don't do it because some colors look good on me and not my husband or my children and vice versa. i dress them in colors that compliment their eye colors and skin tone

Old 12-06-2009, 12:18 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,439,829 times
Any man who lets his wife chose his clothes for him in the morning is no man in my book.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:40 PM

11,762 posts, read 14,688,731 times
I'm not a mother, I'm a father, and my kids are now both out of college and on their own, but if I could just make one point here.

That's insane.

When you're raising kids there are things that are important and things that are not important. Making sure everybody matches when you go on family outings is way below the "not important" line.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:16 PM

250 posts, read 912,120 times
I have done it a couple times when my boys (20 mo apart) were younger because it was cute...I dont really think about it anymore now that they're 5 and 6. They pick out their clothes and Im fine with that. If you have a specific family photograhy session lined up--then I would try to wear something complimentary but otherwise...nope.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:42 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,417,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabumom07 View Post
I wonder how many moms make an effort to dress their family in such a way that they will match, wear colors and styles that look good together or at least avoid clashing.

We are going to Disneyworld with our youngest three this holiday season and I find myself thinking about how our outfits will look together on each day. Nothing too crazy, but a general coordination.

I KNOW some moms must do this because I notice that some families are all in black and white, or denim, or kahiki pants, whatever. At the extreme is the mother daughter match outfit. Sometimes, I admit this is pretty cute. Last Disney trip I imposed matching Hawaiin shirts on my DH and little son, for breakfast with Lilo and Stitch. They loved it!

How much thought does anyone else put into this, and do you have any group photo/family matching horror stories?
Stupidest idea ever. It looks really stupid and constricts the children's identity. Let them be THEM- not who the parents want them to be. Let them dress the way they want...clothes are an art form and expression of the person. Don't hinder individuality!

Old 12-07-2009, 01:02 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,559,629 times
My mother did it but not for vanity reasons.

She had 4 chidren to keep up with and if one of us went missing she would have no trouble describing what the missing child was wearing.

None of us ended up brain damaged and we all pretty much think for ourselves so no harm is really done.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:46 PM

562 posts, read 2,406,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Any man who lets his wife chose his clothes for him in the morning is no man in my book.
Only for a special occasion!

The worst I saw was a family photo with the men in wine colored Joker style suits and the women in Victorian blouses. Sort of Gotham men VS Duggar women. Bad. Not my family thank goodness.

The extent of my vacation planning is attempting to pack outfits that sort of look good together. It looks better in photos, IMO. But I just try to pick out stuff that does not clash. No one is fessing up, but I notices some families that closely match or they all seem to come from the same designer or store. There seems to some thought into the whole family "look". I don't mean matching tee-shirts, I mean like mom is a fashion stylist and her family is the window display. I am not saying there is anything wrong with this, and Dad is often included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty