Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 12:01 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,359,821 times

Advertisements

A lot of posters in here are probably a tad older, therefore you probably never went through the metrosexual phase of your life. Too overly concerned with how people will perceive you as being gay if you go the extra mile to take care yourself.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:07 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
A lot of posters in here are probably a tad older, therefore you probably never went through the metrosexual phase of your life. Too overly concerned with how people will perceive you as being gay if you go the extra mile to take care yourself.
Um no. How does one shaving their legs turn into taking care of yourself? I don't buy this metrosexual crap where you must shave all your body hair off. If someone jumped off a bridge, does that mean you have to?

Old 11-06-2009, 12:07 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,805,768 times
If you're shaving your legs as a guy and aren't doing it for medical or sport reasons (swimming or wrestling comes to mind) then I'm afraid you fall into the suspect gay territory. Thats akin to a dude getting a manicure.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Um no. How does one shaving their legs turn into taking care of yourself? I don't buy this metrosexual crap where you must shave all your body hair off. If someone jumped off a bridge, does that mean you have to?
I don't shave my legs, many men do. Do I see anytrhing wrong with it, nope not at all. I don't like the way hair looks, and especially since I am into bodybuilding.

Oh and by the way I get hands manicured too, so do a lot of business professionals.

I would not jump off any bridge under any circumstance. I am scared of hieghts and I know I would be falling to the death. I don't care if some said they would pay me or do anything I wanted. There would be no way. I know some crazy people but I am not as crazy as them. They would do it for the thrill of falling. Which is nuts. I really don't want to die or have broken bones from my fall. I want to walk and do normal things and not be paralized. I am still walking and haven't and I won't jump off a bridge.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:23 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Oh and by the way I get hands manicured too, so do a lot of business professionals.
My dad was in sales (he's been retired for years) but he always got manicures because if you're going to be shaking potential (or current) clients' hands or pointing things out in meetings and presentations you don't want to look raggedy, male or female. And he is by no means a fussy, vain guy.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My dad was in sales (he's been retired for years) but he always got manicures because if you're going to be shaking potential (or current) clients' hands or pointing things out in meetings and presentations you don't want to look raggedy, male or female.
Exactly!

Old 11-06-2009, 12:34 PM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Quote:
Hi eger,

I think you are projecting that upon others. Most men that don't preen themselves don't really obsess about their look. The idea that only what other people think of them keeps men from shaving is absurd.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:40 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi eger,

I think you are projecting that upon others. Most men that don't preen themselves don't really obsess about their look. The idea that only what other people think of them keeps men from shaving is absurd.
True. I don't live my life based on what others think. I don't care what others think.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:01 PM

I care what others think, everyone is judged in this world and sometimes what other's think directly affects how you are treated. We're all human, and we're all different and it's a beautiful thing.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:23 PM

20,708 posts, read 19,353,439 times
Quote:
I care what others think, everyone is judged in this world and sometimes what other's think directly affects how you are treated. We're all human, and we're all different and it's a beautiful thing.
Hi eger,

That is somewhat interesting since you felt men don't shave due to what others think so I really am not sure which way you are going here. . I would gander that you do it for yourself and based upon the general reaction, that is the only reason to do it unless there is something specific.

I suspect, since body hair is a male secondary sexual characteristic, body hair will be unattractive to males and attractive to females relatively speaking and certainly depending on culture or race since that also differs.

If you are doing it for men to a limited degree it may be effective since suppressing overtly male displays probably evokes beta male cooperative behavior. Doing it too much will likely cause uncomfortable gender confusion. It will likely be a turn off to women as a rule.

I have gone over this in another thread. In cars do people consider them objects or extensions of themselves? Sports cars actually look curvy like women thus they tend to be thought of as she and a feminine object. A Mack truck is more of a masculine image and is more likely to be an extension of that image like a hat or clothing.

Personally I don't make any part of my body a feminine object subject to my tastes in beauty. Women who look themselves in the mirror and desire to see boyishness objectify themselves the same way. The trouble is, it does tend to hobble one's appearance with regard to the opposite sex because the object of their beauty will likely not be yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty