Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 02:39 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,979,713 times

Advertisements

to be perfectly honest, I kinda figured that anyone who wears sweatpants in public had given up on caring about what society thought about them...I thought that was the general point of wearing sweatpants in public: to show society that you have quit/stopped caring.

I remember when my former teammate would wear the same three pairs of sweatpants everywhere, it was quite obvious he didnt care what the world thought of him...and he made it no secret...even wore the whole -t-shirt with cut off sleeves- get-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 05:41 PM

737 posts, read 1,649,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I'm with Jimbo on the courtesy factor.

Athletic clothing can look anywhere from very nice, to ghetto, to sloppy, to disgusting. It depends on the type of athletic clothing, and the general appearance of the person.

I agree

Old 11-13-2009, 06:17 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,686,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
to be perfectly honest, I kinda figured that anyone who wears sweatpants in public had given up on caring about what society thought about them...I thought that was the general point of wearing sweatpants in public: to show society that you have quit/stopped caring.

I remember when my former teammate would wear the same three pairs of sweatpants everywhere, it was quite obvious he didnt care what the world thought of him...and he made it no secret...even wore the whole -t-shirt with cut off sleeves- get-up.
While it does show that you don't care what others think--why should they get to form opinions on you based on what you wear instead of who you are? I dress for comfort. If I owned sweatpants, I'd wear them when it was cold. Someone has a problem with it...I guess they'd rather I freeze than allow me to be comfortable.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:57 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,979,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
While it does show that you don't care what others think--why should they get to form opinions on you based on what you wear instead of who you are? I dress for comfort. If I owned sweatpants, I'd wear them when it was cold. Someone has a problem with it...I guess they'd rather I freeze than allow me to be comfortable.
everyone forms opinions based on what people wear and how they carry themselves. However the weight they may give to that particular aspect of their assessment of people varies widely....But generally people accept it and tend to work within those confines.

if people appear as though they dont care what others think, it means that they dont care what others think. Therefore the impression that they make on others is as off putting as it would be if someone walked into a job interview in a clown outfit, or someone walks through a supermarket with ill fitting, or very revealing clothes. While we each have every right to wear our most comfortable clown outfit to job interviews, the purpose of a dressing well is to reinforce the candidates qualifications necessary for the job; thereby making a favorable impression on the employer. The purpose of dressing in a presentable manner around other people is to impress upon them that you are making a maximum effort to garner a favorable perception so that they in turn will give their maximum efforts as well.. To do less, is to signal that one could careless what impression he/she make on others.

There's nothing wrong with it...it kind of just is what it is...heck, the teammate I spoke of earlier was literally my best friend on the team. We hung out everyday, went fishing..played video games etc. That was one of my best buddies, which is how I know that he didnt care what people thought of him. He was loud, offensive, crass, confident (some would say arrogant), self centered and proud of it. I admired it at the time because I was in the same frame of mind at that period in time. However as I grow older, I find that attitude immature for my own objectives in life. I dont think that you (not literally 'you' - TKramer, just in general) can please everybody, but I think that an effort can be made to please as many people as possible without compromising who you truly are. If sweatpants is part of who you are, so be it. I accepted it, and got a great friend from it, but I was also well aware of his I-could-care-less mentality.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:56 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,277,733 times
If people did not think anything about what you dress like...well why would you all be hating on other stuff like: girls dressing slutty, funny junior wear etc...oh yeh...IT DOES MATTER. Even to you sweatpants wearing folks.

I personally don't think anyone should be sporting the sporty look unless they are off to go sporting that day. If your reason for putting on sweats is for ease and comfort there are a myriad of options that don't look like p.j.s or gym wear. Its not like the other options are some binding gussets or requires sock garters etc.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:41 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,686,882 times
The binding gussets at the bottom is what makes them warmer to wear. The fact that harsh winds don't blow up your leg. And I can't find long johns around here, though it does get cold some days...well, really, nights. So I wear pajama pants under jeans when it's cold out.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:02 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,059,684 times
I'm a 30 years old guy, and I will wear sweats to the gym, or around the house. Otherwise, it takes just as much effort to put on a pair of pants or jeans that are equally comfortable.

Old 11-13-2009, 11:06 PM

339 posts, read 2,205,757 times
According to Jerry Seinfeld, a guy that wears sweats is saying, "I give up". Take that for what it's worth lol.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:11 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times
Is Jerry Seinfeld still wearing denim on denim and white sneaks, like he did back in the day, I wonder?

One who makes such sartorial choices is in a poor position to critique sweatpants, I think.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:12 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,321,370 times
Default Pajama Jeans

Pajama Jeans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty