Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 02:11 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,906,516 times

Advertisements

Thanks folks.

Some great tips here and much appreciated.

I forgot to mention I have to get all this stuff into two 23kg (50lb)suitcases.

OH and the fact it's been 30c + (86F+) here the last few weeks. (not exactly condusive to packing for cold weather. )

Anyway, I actually managed to luck it and find a pair of closed toe black patent sling back shoes (being Summer almost here it's practically impossible to find shoes in Winter styles, well anything in Winter styles really. ) for going out and I've had my good winter evening coat altered so it actually buttons up now (never really needed it to before). Figure when we go out for the special occasions that require a little more dressing up we'll be indoors so it's just to get from the car to the venue really.

1. You're going to a tourist village and will be in and out of buildings all day, walking around and enjoying all the village has to offer. For lunch you will be joined at a restaurant by your partner's family, some of whom you'll be meeting for the first time. It will be a more formal sit down lunch, not cafe style. And the family members you've not met yet will be of the same generation as your grandparents.

I've spoken to my partner about this and we're both going to wear our walking shoes and keep a dressier pair in the car to change into for the family lunch.
I'm going to wear a nice pair of warm but dressy black pants and a black camisole under a hoody. I have a really pretty and dressy dusky pink fine wool cardigan/jacket that I'll keep in the car that I can swap for the hoodie come lunchtime and I can take my new down coat for walking around in and exploring. I'll make sure I have some suitable low key jewellery.

2. You're going to a large, world class concert hall for a lunch time jazz concert. After the concert you're planning on doing some sightseeing around the area.

Going to wear my black boot cut pants and low heeled black ankle boots for this with a nice top of some description and I'll just layer up if it's cold so I stay warm outdoors but still have something presentable indoors.

3. You're going to a high end restaurant for dinner with your partner. It's a special occasion and afterwards you're planning on attending a sell out theatre show at a beautifully appointed theatre.

Trotting out the LBD and the sling backs for this one. Complete with my evening coat with the fancy new buttons, I'll just have to jazz it up with some jewellery. I know it's all black but there's a limit to what I have and what I can pack. I was concerned earlier about how evening wear translates there in the colder weather but after trawling websites I see that you ladies do wear short sleeves and strappy type frocks in the holiday season. (wasn't sure)

4. You're going to see a friend's band on a Friday night at a popular music venue. There's a good chance it will be quite warm inside and you'll be standing up for most of the evening.

Going with boots, jeans and a casual light weight top AND my coat for this one.

I guess if I discover that I'm too hot or too cold I'll just have to go shopping.

I'm just a little worried about how jacked up the indoor temperatures get at some places. When I was in Europe there was still some cold days and nights and some of the places we stayed had the temperature set to Barbados. I thought I'd expire from overheating. (Actually it was the same in NZ come to think of it). Going to be really hard to know so layers I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty