Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 12:22 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,325,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post

I am just bearing witness. I can't control what people look like, but I do bite back.

We were talking about superficial things. Would you of preferred that I gave a gay rights speech and spiritual centering coaching session instead?
you date nancies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 03:28 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,275,900 times
And you wish you did? Are you jealous? Aww thats cute...I know they are rare hotties here in the states expect, but try to control yourself. Does your mommy know you are spreading gay hate & homophobia on the internet?

Old 03-11-2010, 04:50 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,325,626 times
LOL@ "gay hate and homophobia"
your boyfriend goes to the same salon you do to get his eyebrows plucked. if me pointing out this fact is "gay hate" then it is what it is hahahhaha

Old 03-11-2010, 06:38 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,547,338 times
Nothing wrong with dressing up and looking nice as a guy. I do it quite often. I get my apparel on sale most of the time, so it's not that bad.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:51 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,456,632 times
I love it when a man has style.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:19 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,371,423 times
I'm in the US Air Force and I have been in a few different places. Saint Louis (all my life), North Dakota, Texas, Oregon, The Netherlands, Germany, England, Italy, Spain, military bases...

The OP is right... in The United States... most males dress like what he said. That's not just on college campus.. but military bases and everywhere else. . . even in Europe (expats and tourists). My european friends constantly comment on how 'shabby' americans dress.

Oh - and europeans usually dress more thrifty than americans. it's not about money. college guys and guys after college go after name brands (not high fashion)... but stuff you would find in the mall, which is usually fairly expensive. in europe, people that go to university buy the cheapest stuff possible.

difference:

-americans won't be caught dead in payless. they'll buy 100$ trainers at footlocker
-europeans (well, dutch) will buy shoes at a 'payless' comparable store and avoid footlocker. sometimes they'll buy shoes that are 20 euro.. 30 or 40 if they are heels or boots.

-americans hold jobs, have cars, pay for university...but like i said, it isn't about the money.
-most of my european university friends don't have jobs. they go to university (away from home) and pay for their food, clothes, housing, etc. they get minimal amount of money from parents or loans. the students i know here in maastricht are STRUGGLING with money.

the europeans here at maastricht university.. don't dress 'metrosexual'... they dress in clothes that fit them. most of the time they don't buy name brand clothing.

the majority of americans 'just don't care'..and that's not a problem. i've see with most of the international students here at maastricht.. they don't care either.. but they still have style or rather.. dress like they care (when in actuality, they don't).

men usually don't wear big puffy winter coats, steelers bomber jackets, etc. college students usually don't wear tshirts that have sayings on them or anything that is associated with some name brand, label, etc.

it seems like to me that people on this board think there are two styles, shabby and high fashion.. when it's..

shabby/comfort, normal, high fashion. i would say americans.. and maybe even the british (in general) dress shabby/comfort.... europeans dress normal... and both dress in 'high fashion' although a small percentage of the population. and that small precentage that dress high fashion do it because they are chavs.. so a small percentage of that small percentage dress 'high fashion' because they are rich..

Old 03-12-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
LOL@ "gay hate and homophobia"
your boyfriend goes to the same salon you do to get his eyebrows plucked. if me pointing out this fact is "gay hate" then it is what it is hahahhaha
That is the thing! He is soooooo not that metro. He even skips shaving sometimes. His haircut looks like Matt Damon hair. Which is not femmy at all.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie61 View Post
Think they do
The cost of university schooling in European countries is much cheaper. The cost of a semester in a school in the US is equal to what you would pay for the whole year over in Europe. Generally speaking anyway.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:56 PM

1,222 posts, read 4,607,264 times
Depends where you go like anywhere but don't think that in England it is that cheap as it isn't.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:41 AM

Actually I have priced schools so I do know it is for the most part generally true.
BBC NEWS | UK | Education | What price a university degree?

"There was some sign of price sensitivity amongst potential students in Wales. If they choose Welsh universities they will pay just £1,200 but if they opt for an English university they must pay the £3,000 charged by most institutions."

Double that for american dollars.

Here:
College cost finder - CNNMoney.com

Penn State is 14,000 - 25,000 per year. A lot more than 6000!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty