Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 07:57 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,503,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Question, why do some old ladies douse themselves in rose scented perfume? I work at a hospital and we always get these women. A light spray smells like roses. Dousing yourself could bring about vomiting.
Maybe the same reason they have blue hair???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 03:14 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,451,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Good question about the finishing school. I thought such classes were a thing of the past but am beginning to think they still exist in certain places. I know a guy who sent his 13-year-old boy through a 'manners class'. Don't know how much the boy appreciated it but his father is one those who's anal about that sort of thing. At first I thought it was a dumb idea, but not anymore.

I'll share my 'oops' moment with perfume. Found out that my strongest perfume is the hippie'ish Nag Champa. Before work one morning I dabbed on about the same amount that I would any other oil. However, the smell trailed not only through the building, but even managed to waft in through the HVAC system. You could smell traces of it. I still wear it now 'n' then but only one single dab is enough. It will last me a long time that way.
If its an oil, the oil tends to get stale after a while. So the fragrance wont be the same. If its another type of perfume, keep in mind that the alcohol will also evaporate, leaving you with an empty bottle even when you aren't using it. Keep an eye out for changes in their chemistry with time, as all perfumes change after a few years.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:28 AM

5,073 posts, read 4,739,895 times
Here are some great tips in prolonging the life of your perfume; although, mine had better last longer than 3-5 years! Hint: light, heat, and humidity are some of the worst enemies of proper fragrance storage.

How to Keep Perfume Fresh | eHow.com

Old 08-24-2009, 01:54 PM

203 posts, read 713,729 times
I wear only Jo Malone perfume and have about 7 of them. They are made to be combined together to create different scents. I like them because not everyone wears them and they smell wonderful and unique.

Jo Malone | Home

Old 08-25-2009, 01:36 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,314,078 times
Dave,

I have a few different scents..some "top shelf" such as Aramis and Azzaro and others are cheaper brands. To be honest, I prefer the older, classic aftershaves such as Old Spice and Brut, especially for work. I have also worn Black Suede by Avon for years and it's a nice, warm scent. I will say the Suede and Azzaro are my two favorites.

In regards to the person asking about Hai Karate. It can be found on Ebay and it's very expensive. There is a product called Jade East I have worn which has a similar scent and is still readily available and much cheaper.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:51 PM

497 posts, read 1,177,658 times
I own several, but only wear two. Shalimar and Tabu. I started wearing Tabu in the 60's back in High School and it is still the scent that people will most often stop me and ask what I'm wearing. Men love it.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:03 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,373,489 times
I have several. Some samples, some bottles. My two favorite bottles are:

(the pricey ) Alien by Thierry Mugler

and a perfume by Coty, called "Ici" (also not "cheap" but by no means anywhere in the range of Alien!)

I started wearing Ici when I was around 13 (so almost 10 years)...and I still love how it mixes with my pH. I get tons of compliments on both that and Alien (so much to the point, with Alien, my last boss would compliment how amazing I smelled each morning, and wanted to buy his wife a bottle, until he found out where I purchased it).

Old 08-27-2009, 10:00 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,924,542 times
I hardly own one but 2 of my friends are girly girls so they have tons of them in little packages. If I buy one, it would be sitting there on the shelf barely used so I don't even try anymore. However, I took one off my friends recently, it's Diamond's by Elizabeth Taylor's and it smells good enough. I put it on for work. My bestfriend gave me a little bottle of hers and I hardly used it but the scent lingers--Beyond Paradise by Estee Lauder (smells sooo good).

My personal favorite is Pleasures by Estee Lauder. It works really well with my body chemistry, the smell is heaven. And it lasts.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:37 AM

559 posts, read 1,758,995 times
i usually just wear cologne when i go out.
cool water
lacoste
curve soul
armani mania
and my all time fav, very sexy for him.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:44 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,924,542 times
speaking of men's fragrance..someone in my past wore Curves when it first came out. Cannot get that fragrance out of my mind when I think about him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty