Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:33 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,908,919 times

Advertisements

I'd say it's not at all shocking to people under the age of 40-45. Not that you HAVE to have one, but it's not at all shocking/disturbing/odd to me to see others with tats, nor do I assume they are criminals or otherwise have questionable morals. Some of the designs make me wonder if they have any sense of style or individuality, but that's about it (I mean, a thorny rose tat above the boob (or a top-hat wearing skeleton on the arm!) isn't something I find particularly interesting..).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 09:41 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,045,919 times
I'm looking for a tattoo that will look better as I age. Any ideas?

Old 08-11-2009, 09:55 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,439,146 times
They are very much mainstream. I think they became so around 1998. That being the year of the tramp stamp.... Anyway...seems tattos have become so mainstream that the rebellious/hip thing to do is not to get one.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:52 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,065,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
. Anyway...seems tattos have become so mainstream that the rebellious/hip thing to do is not to get one.
That's the impression I get, too.
It's as if they are over, now, but I don't think tats will ever have the stigma of disapproval that they once had.

I never wanted one, and I am kind of glad that my grown sons have never gotten tats or piercings, but I would not have a nervous breakdown if they did.

Grainraiser, there is an older gentleman down the street from me who has a P-51 Mustang on his upper arm.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:15 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,908,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
A raindrop.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:17 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,221,665 times
Some of the college girls I work with have little tats on their bodies. Some of them have facial piercings too. The tats are scattered randomly on their extremities as if they were impulse purchases. And they are very primitively executed too. None of them enhance the beauty of their bodies. I have yet to see a tat that I am envious of and would wish on my own body. Men seem have more elaborate tats, but they also look stupid, especially when they start to fade in colour or the wearer gains weight and the image stretches.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:32 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,538,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
They are very much mainstream. I think they became so around 1998. That being the year of the tramp stamp.... Anyway...seems tattos have become so mainstream that the rebellious/hip thing to do is not to get one.
Ah, yes! The ever popular stripper's bar code. It's gonna be kinda funny in about 40 years when instead of being in the small of the back they're all hanging down on their sagging butts.

Tattoos on veterans, especially of the WW II era, were fairly commonplace and always conjured up images of drunken sailors in Manila or Yokohama.

In more recent decades, before they became "edgy" and were re-christened "body art" they appeared to be the primarily the domain of street and prison gangs.

Having been part of a street and prison gang task force when I was in law enforcement I find them unattractive. But I'm in my 60s and survived 12 years in the military without ever getting that drunk.

I truly believe that in about 20-30 years there are going to be a lot of people, women especially, who are going to wonder what they were thinking.

Unlike perfumes, hair styles, clothing fads, etc., these are permanent markings and rarely is there any going back!

Enjoy!

Old 08-12-2009, 05:38 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,713,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Yes. A tattoo of an old man.

Curmy -
I'll still appreciate mine when I'm wrinkled...and I will be wrinkled, with or without the drawing. But I did think about that when I placed them, too...and placed them accordingly. No alcohol required.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:34 PM

1,210 posts, read 2,934,025 times
Talking Hope to be blind in the future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I truly believe that in about 20-30 years there are going to be a lot of people, women especially, who are going to wonder what they were thinking.

Enjoy!
Does this include the now great-grandmother with the tramp stamp?? (or the soon to be granny??)

But yes I totally agree with the buyer's remorse (unless they are in denial). At age 70 thinking that 1)that guy/gals name on their neck 2)the cartoon character that has been extinct for 50 years 3)tramp stamp sagged so far that its now below your butt......
I could go on forever!
We are going to be walking/wheeling saggy freak shows in the future.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:46 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,664,232 times
I have a few tattoos I'm nearly finished with the sleeve on my left arm and I'll begin work on my upper backpiece after that. Honestly, I don't even pay attention to 'fads' and like tattoos because I like them. Most of my friends (including my boyfriend) don't have any at all.

If you pick a good artist (it's permanent after all... why you would choose someone based on saving $$ is beyond me) and choose a design (preferably original, most artists really don't like doing flash work) that compliments the area you're getting tattooed in and take care of it, it's no problem.

On my lower arm, I have a bird. It was drawn to accentuate the contours of my lower arm regardless of if I have the arm twisted a certain way or not. I spent a lot of time with my artist figuring out the exact design, because I don't want a tattoo to look weird if I twist my arm.

Also, if you have a tattoo... your tanning days are over. Sun DESTROYS tattoo ink and will make it fade and look terrible. Sunscreen is your friend My lower arm has been done for going on 5 years now and still looks brand new.

This was really long, sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty