Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 06:37 PM

133 posts, read 587,672 times

Advertisements

Hi, My Aunt actually told me about the site so I'm using her screen name while I visit here. (I'm staying in NC but I live in FL ) Anyways, I need desperate help as I'm still dressing like a frumpy 18 year old! I just don't know where to start or what stores to shop at. I feel terrible about shopping in Juniors stores like Hollister, PacSun, Target etc. (I feel so old going in there!Well not target..) I used to dress nicely I swear but my career has me living in scrubs with tank tops and Funky jeans. I'm a dog groomer along with my cousin who's around the same age with the same problem. Thing is that Juniors stuff fits me well as I need a 34" inseam with a 23" waist in jeans. I have had a hard time in the past wandering through the mall trying to find something "Adult" in my size. I just don't really know where people my age shop. I'm also looking to change since I just got out of a five year relationship and all I can say is my style just got frumpy throughout the years since *HE* didn't like to see me looking nice for others. <--- Long story don't want to talk about it.

Then my other issue is that I was buying obscene amount of cheapo clothing that doesn't last long, shrinks and just gets holey so quick. What are good quality clothing stores? I am looking for casual after work gear, weekend trip and just nice clothing in general. I'd be looking at stores in the South / South East area. I want to be pretty and presentable but don't know what my style is.

I am 5'8 with pretty long arms so finding a shirt with long sleeves that stay long is hard! Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sorry in advance for any misspellings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 07:01 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,176,482 times
hey, I'm way older than you and have the same problem. I can't wear anything in the women's dept. due to my small frame.

I just shop in juniors and try to find something that looks not trendy but fits!!!
I shop online at newport-news and Forever 21. It's what I must do unless I wanna walk around naked.
I've found things that fit at Burlington,Marshalls(sometimes) and TJ Max.
Also I look at consignment stores.

Good luck!!

Old 07-20-2009, 07:03 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,149,664 times
I'm tall & thin like you, and in my mid 20s.
As for chain mall stores, I find cute, affordable & age appropriate clothes at:
Express, Anthropologie, Macy's and H&M.

H&M has the cheap quality, but the other three have decent quality. A lot of it depends on your style also. I also like to hit outlet stores sometimes (ie. Calvin Klein) to get better quality basics at a decent price. Mix nicer quality stuff with cheaper pieces. That way, your whole outfit doesn't look "cheap", but you don't have to drop an arm & a leg.

For casual, try dresses & skirts if you want to look more "put-together" automatically & easily. Use jewelry and shoes to make a basic outfit special. Buy jeans in places that offer a long inseam. Try skinny jeans, which are supposed to hit at the ankle.

And pick up a fashion mag or two (ie. Elle, not Cosmo). Look at it for inspiration; don't take it literally. Start noting when you like the overall style of a person, and think how you can steal some of their ideas for yourself. Ask other women where they got something when you admire it.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:43 PM

69 posts, read 263,324 times
I am tall as well but not skinny. I love The Limited, H&M, Ann Taylor Loft, Forever 21 and Marshalls. I def. agree with the previous poster on getting good quality staples and building around them. Find a great LBD that you can dress up and dress down, a pair of dark trouser jeans that you can also wear casually or even dress them up for a night out, a great pair of black pants, and other items as well just cant think of them all right now. Since you are skinny I would def. get some skinny jeans. IMO they are really cute i just am way too "hippy" for them. One website that I really like to get ideas on cute clothes is ASOS.com. It is in Europe but they have some really cute clothes!

Old 07-22-2009, 05:54 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,532,383 times
I am a bit older than you, 45, and have gone thru several life/fashion modes. I'm interested in fashion and notice different styles and what is available, and what's easy v. what's hard.

Today fashion is tough because adult women want to dress like nine year old girls. All those tank layers, low riding jeans, blah blah blah.

But some of the wonderful pieces available today are blouses, skirts, tailored pants and scads and scads of fantastic dresses. There are also wonderful flats, like ballet flats and sexy wedges/espadrilles.

There are also some very nice casual tops from brands like Splendid and James *****, altho pricey.

Ann Taylor is very hot at this moment, they have a new designer, it's worth checking out. Old Navy can have versatile jersey dresses sometimes. Nordstrom tends to have a great selection of clothes for younger women as well as lots and lots of shoes. They have responded very well to this recession and swiftly brought down prices, so it's much more affordable than it has been in the past.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:04 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,149,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkydinkydoo View Post
One website that I really like to get ideas on cute clothes is ASOS.com. It is in Europe but they have some really cute clothes!
I like ASOS too, especially the shoes . The shipping is soooo high to the US though. I've only ordered from there a few times because of that.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:12 PM

134 posts, read 413,160 times
New York and Co. has nice things. Also Talbot(Sp?) stores (although I think they are a bit pricey).The clothes at these stores are better made and would last longer than places like Rue 21 or Pac-Sun,etc.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:30 PM

85 posts, read 317,443 times
I would say pick up a couple different fashion magazines and pick out some things you like. Go to your local mall and find the stores that sell the looks you liked there, or stuff you think looks cute. I'm 26, petite, with an hour glass type shape so...I don't quite have the same body shopping problems you have. But I know how it is to not be able to find the right sizes for your height (I'm 5'3")

I mix and match stores to create my own little look. Right now, I like:

Maurices
The Buckle(for the jeans mostly)
Old Navy
Ann Taylor
Macy's
New York and Company
Express
Dillards
I have even found some cute, not slutty tops from Fredericks I wear occasionally, though it's important to monitor taste level when you buy from a store known for its crotchless underwear.
There's also a store called "Pink" that has kind of a cool, funky vibe but I don't know if they'd have that there.

And at the risk of sounding ganky...sometimes I comb mom and pop resale shops for the perfect shoes, accessories, etc. For example, I recently got a fabulous pair of Steve Maddens, in perfect condition and gorgeous, along with this really interesting pair of shoes known as Woodies(so adorable). All for 10 dollars. I don't like wearing all the same things other people are wearing, so I find little things like that to break up the monotony.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:43 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,282,719 times
I like Express, J.Crew, Anthropologie, Free People, Macy's (check out some of the sites)

For jeans levi's are the best for long legs. If you get a mid rise or lower rise you avoid bucket butt. I would not get the lower rise if you have a long torso though. That can look odd.

Macy's can be hit or miss with stuff lasting long. But J.Crew stuff is amazing for getting a long wear out of things they sell.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:59 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,349,678 times
I guess I dress like a douche I wear alot of Ed Hardy and A&F clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty