Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 09:21 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,472,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I've always wanted to have a walk-in closet...

Oh, I would love a walk-in closet. I would organize everything and put all my clothes on wooden hangers! What a dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 09:32 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,325,456 times
I like shopping with my mother to a point. Clothes-shopping is fine, but what really drives me nuts is what happens when she steps foot in a TJ Maxx or Homegoods. I may never see the light of day again. By the end of each day, I'm whimpering in exhaustion, dehydrated and hungry, and Mom is ready to tackle Garden Ridge the next day.

She CRAWLS down each aisle...especially where the knick-knack stuff for your home is. She moves stuff, digs through the shelves, stands back and ponders, chats with the other customers about their selections, debates the merits of her own choices, puts it in the cart for safekeeping while she makes up her mind, takes time to unpack and reload the cart to make better use of its space. Meanwhile, I'm going up and down the aisles briskly...just a superficial run-through to see what catches my eye. Thirty minutes later I've seen it all and am satisfied and I go off in search of Mom...who is still on Aisle One or maybe has just rounded the corner to Aisle Two. *groan*

And the worst part is that she doesn't NEED any of that crap! Her house is done. Finished. It's gee-gawed out. She doesn't need another candlestick or iron wall ornament or cutesy drinking dish for the cat. Stop! Walk away! Just put down the Le Crueset and walk away. Yes, the bowl is lovely and would make a beautiful centerpiece, but you don't need to spend that $19.95. Yes, I realize that the regular price is $39.95 and that $19.95 is a great deal, but Mom...you don't need it. Say it with me now: "Just Say No."

Old 06-16-2009, 05:03 AM

302 posts, read 923,304 times
I got my love of shopping from my mom. She was so stylish, so we were shopping buddies. Every weekend we'd hit the stores. I still love clothes, but it's just not the same now that she's gone.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:37 AM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,232,870 times
I think my ideal situation would be to have my mother be my size, with my taste and a shopaholic. Then I would visit her periodically to "borrow" from her bursting walk-in closet. That way, my bank account and credit cards would be safe from harm.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:30 AM

My mother led me astray in that I bought a few things that I can't return. I really don't need them, so I feel it is money wasted. I vow never again to buy things somewhere that does not except returns. However, my mother was pushing me that day and it all happened very quickly.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:23 AM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,232,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
My mother led me astray in that I bought a few things that I can't return. I really don't need them, so I feel it is money wasted. I vow never again to buy things somewhere that does not except returns. However, my mother was pushing me that day and it all happened very quickly.
So going shopping with her was just a recreational past time. Just return the items, and no permanent harm's been done. I recently heard on an NPR show that one of the causes of America's economic crisis is our love for going to shopping malls as a form of entertainment. We've gotten into the habit for spending too easily and for kicks, instead of saving that money and/or using it more wisely.

I suppose that it's also nice to be able to show your mom that you have spending power? Sort of a sign of being successful?

Old 06-16-2009, 08:48 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,059,721 times
I haven't been shopping with my mother in YEARS.

I'll tell you what I do hate, though. Shopping with my 16 year old daughter. We have different tastes. She's all into EMO and RETRO stuff and I'm more into trendy stuff. So, it irks me. Not looking forward to shopping for a prom dress next year....

Old 06-16-2009, 08:58 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,140,339 times
No I no longer shop with my mother because she is rail thin and criticises everything I try on . I am 5 11 and I weigh 132 and she says if I were not so fat I could buy nice clothes . I really am glad I am unemployed at this point .

Old 06-16-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I suppose that it's also nice to be able to show your mom that you have spending power? Sort of a sign of being successful?
No, that's not it. It's something we have in common. We love going shopping together and finding clothes. Her health is not good and she lives far away, so I am enjoying every minute of it while I can. I wish I had more money, because I would certainly love to spoil her!

Anyhow, I had my little spree, but I will recover!

Old 06-16-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
I haven't been shopping with my mother in YEARS.

I'll tell you what I do hate, though. Shopping with my 16 year old daughter. We have different tastes. She's all into EMO and RETRO stuff and I'm more into trendy stuff. So, it irks me. Not looking forward to shopping for a prom dress next year....
That will change, trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty