Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 12:35 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,481,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
People who buy "knockoff" of designer goods are only fooling themselves. People who can afford the real thing know the difference. I am a man and can spot a fake Louis Vuitton purse a mile away. The easliest way to spot a "poseur" is to look at the entire ensemble the person is wearing. If you are trying to get away with buying fake designer shoes and wearing cheap clothing, you will get busted by the fashion police.
oooooh! I'm scared now! I don't wear "knock-offs" but not any designers who would be knocked off either...I do however, wear clothing I can afford and try to look nice but not to the extent that I worry about some random man who is checking people's shoes, clothes and handbags out to determine whether or not they are "real". I guess I just have better things to do with my time....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 12:42 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,459,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
oooooh! I'm scared now! I don't wear "knock-offs" but not any designers who would be knocked off either...I do however, wear clothing I can afford and try to look nice but not to the extent that I worry about some random man who is checking people's shoes....
Man? Women are checking out your shoes more then men!

When you go out in a well-put-together outfit, everyone notices. All heads turn. Which is why I enjoy dressing well. It doesn't matter your age or body style. A good outfit makes you look more interesting, and it makes you feel great!

Old 05-07-2009, 01:04 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,211,307 times
Handbags you can buy at Marshalls half price.

Not sure what Marshall's you shop at, but they are mostly the lower/midrange brands. You aren't going to catch a Jimmy Cho, Chanel or Prada in Marshall's. If you are, I'm shopping at the wrong Marshall's that is filled with Coach, Dooney, Cole Haan lol! (Some of which are VERY nice bags-don't get me wrong.)

Old 05-07-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
Handbags you can buy at Marshalls half price.

Not sure what Marshall's you shop at, but they are mostly the lower/midrange brands. You aren't going to catch a Jimmy Cho, Chanel or Prada in Marshall's. If you are, I'm shopping at the wrong Marshall's that is filled with Coach, Dooney, Cole Haan lol! (Some of which are VERY nice bags-don't get me wrong.)
They do the job! Prada and Chanel are way out of my league. I love clothes and can always throw together a nice outfit, but I simply don't have that kind of money. Most of my stuff is thrifted, although you would never know. I'm poor, yes, but I refuse to look like a slob!

Old 05-07-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Man? Women are checking out your shoes more then men!

When you go out in a well-put-together outfit, everyone notices. All heads turn. Which is why I enjoy dressing well. It doesn't matter your age or body style. A good outfit makes you look more interesting, and it makes you feel great!
Of course, but a "good outfit" needn't cost thousands and thousands of dollars so some guy or gal doesn't call you a "poseur" or "wanna be". Maybe someone just likes the overall look but doesn't have that kind of money or just is frugal? If a person is clean and well put together they look good even in inexpensive clothing. It also helps if one stands straight, looks people in the eye and smiles - all of which cost nothing

Old 05-07-2009, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Of course, but a "good outfit" needn't cost thousands and thousands of dollars so some guy or gal doesn't call you a "poseur" or "wanna be". Maybe someone just likes the overall look but doesn't have that kind of money or just is frugal? If a person is clean and well put together they look good even in inexpensive clothing. It also helps if one stands straight, looks people in the eye and smiles - all of which cost nothing
You are preaching to the choir! I agree! And by the way, I can't stand how Victoria (Posh) Beckam dresses. All she looks is expensive. She does not interest me at all!

Old 05-07-2009, 08:46 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,121,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
I agree about Chanel et al. Too well known. I have however spotted Michael Kors, Kooba and Carlos Falchi (for example) at various discounters over the years.
Helps if you learn to feel quality with your fingertips and spend some time in high end stores educating yourself about some the "secondary" designers. They still make beautiful, functional, products, that with care, should last for years.

Which leads me to another point....I'm too poor to buy the cheap stuff! It seems that most of it is made to be disposable. Give me a pair of shoes or a bag that I can wear/carry for at least a few (3-5) years.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:00 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,013,825 times
I must be really odd. I buy "cheap" shoes and handbags but they seem to last me forever. I'm nearly positive I spent about $20 for my current, everyday handbag. I've had it for a good 5 years, at least. Is it "stylish"? No. Is it designer? Definitely no. Is it even leather? Looks and feels like it -- not sure I want to know more than that .

Most importantly, does it get the job done? Indeed! It does everything I want it to do. Holds my gear. Has exterior and interior pockets for keys, cell phone, IPod, etc. Has short handles AND an over the shoulder strap (I love the versatility). And it's sturdy enough to stand up on its own when I set it down.

I use it just about every day. Now, let me tell you about my $30, 3-year-old shoes....

Old 05-07-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
I must be really odd. I buy "cheap" shoes and handbags but they seem to last me forever. I'm nearly positive I spent about $20 for my current, everyday handbag. I've had it for a good 5 years, at least. Is it "stylish"? No. Is it designer? Definitely no. Is it even leather? Looks and feels like it -- not sure I want to know more than that .

Most importantly, does it get the job done? Indeed! It does everything I want it to do. Holds my gear. Has exterior and interior pockets for keys, cell phone, IPod, etc. Has short handles AND an over the shoulder strap (I love the versatility). And it's sturdy enough to stand up on its own when I set it down.

I use it just about every day. Now, let me tell you about my $30, 3-year-old shoes....
Right there with ya...I do have a few nicer handbags (although apparently "low end" designers Coach, Brighton, DB etc)...I just find I tire of any of them after awhile. It used to be that the classic Coach bags were pretty timeless. I've noticed they've "evolved" into more trendy....I don't know if I could get a plain solid leather Coach bag anymore. I usually buy shoes in the $30-$100 range and they tend to last at least 2-3 years but that's because I have trouble finding shoes that fit me and I don't mind the look of (I gave up on finding shoes I LOVE for me long long ago), I buy a couple pairs in different colors and wear the heck out of them. They wouldn't last any longer if I spent $300.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:07 AM

814 posts, read 2,308,396 times
you cannot tell the difference between a button down shirt made by banana republic, or even kmart sometimes from one that is couture etc. please..

one can shop at the mall and brand name outlets and you would not be able to tell the person who put together their outfit from there from someone who paid thousands of dollars. if you can it's only because you happen to know that particular piece of clothing was made by a certain designer. period.

unless they are weaving threads of gold into the fabric, eventually you are just paying for the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty