Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 01:51 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,780,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
Grrrr doesn't that violate some H/R standard or law? If not, shouldn't it??? Talk about shallow!!!

Fairfax, I agree. Pretty and handsome does open doors. I also agree that that is a sad, sad fact . Even sadder? No matter how well or how frumpy one dresses (bringing this back to the OP's original discussion point), physical pretty/handsome trumps it all. Shallow. Good word.

Oh yeah. They got sued a while after I left after 4 ex-cashiers got together and filed a sexual harassment suit. 4 Managers and 11 employees got fired and charged. Funny enough, the harassment suit had nothing to do with hiring practices, this was just day to day harassment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 02:58 PM

14,538 posts, read 21,415,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly Nomad View Post
Y'know, the other underlying theme I'm seeing in this thread is the assumption that women are expected to look "pretty" (and we won't even talk about the pressure to look "sexy" /rolleyes). It makes me sad that, in USA culture, women must still live under the pressure of being "pretty". We women even put that pressure on ourselves ("I feel better when I look pretty").

Men are not held to that same standard. If guys are "handsome", it's considered a bonus. Can you imagine, in West Side Story, a group of guys dancing and singing "I Feel Handsome! Oh, so Handsome!"? We had a movie called "Pretty in Pink". What was the corresponding movie? "Handsome in..." Heck, there isn't even a "handsome guy" color .

Maybe it's a little bit of sour grapes on my part. I am not, by any stretch of the imagination, "pretty". Not now, and never have been, never will be. I simply don't fit the standard definition. Don't have the face, eyes, hair, bod, nuttin' at all. All I have going for me is a lack of wrinkles (which makes me look somewhat younger than I am). I've also been told I have a nice personality (I hope I do!). Maybe it's my way of compensating for not being "pretty" .

My grandma always said, "Pretty is as pretty does". There's a subtle hint, eh? Anyway, I ran with it, 'cause it was all I had .
Thank you. This is the very essense of this thread. We have come a long way in allowing women to have brains, but we still objectify women. The whole idea of *having* to look *pretty* is born of that.

Women will never be "equal" if we have this underlying assumption that girls have to be pretty and women strive for sexy. Men have the choice. Women can choose to be or not but the whole idea of being "frumpy" if you don't dress up diminishes that choice. There should be no judgement. If a woman likes to dress up at the store its her thing. If she wants to wear old sweats then that is. But its nobody else's business.

And the idea that "dressed up" with makeup and nice shoes is better than a tank top and jeans... what if "dressed up" doesn't feel right? I love the occasions when I do put on a dress, but its a really cool dress and for a special occasion. Or in the summer where a loose skirt is cooler than jeans. But the real me (and the one I present) is super casual. And thus I present myself.

And there are occasions when "frumpy" pays off. When I lived in California I took the bus a lot. I dressed as I usually do, but wore things looser and more covered. That and the attitude I wore and I was always fine. But there are times when a woman does not want to present herself as "attractive" and especially not "sexy". And should present a "get out of my face" attitude.

Clothes are about the individual. We tell others who we are by how we dress. To those who see a guy in an expensive suit and tailored hair as the end all of attractive it might be strange to hear that for some of us a guy in jeans and a tshirt and windblown hair is far more interesting. I'd go so far as to say the guy in the suit isn't interesting to me at all. So should women go out dressed "up" if it isn't them? Like the quoted poster said, men don't have to.

A fancy restraunt is a place you would dress up. A park with a walking trail it would look odd if you were wearing dressy shoes. There are places where certain dress fits but they are places you choose to go. You don't go out on that nice dinner evening on a quick run, or take the kids for a hike without plans. You do go to the store, McDees, Walmart, and many other places. Some of the most fun things in life are done on the spur of the moment, when you just decide to go now. Why ruin them by having to "dress" right?

Life is too short and complicated to have to be locked into the right clothes and shoes and makeup and hair. In the end you won't remember the dress you wore that day but the experience of the occasion and who you shared it with. That is what matters.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:19 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,396,396 times
o.k., where I'm at on this subject:
don't people these days care about looking good for themselves?
no matter what I'm wearing, it's not for the purpose of impressing anybody-- I just prefer to look good for my own sake. I don't consider wearing nice-looking clothes to be any different than being showered & keeping hair combed.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:50 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,173,401 times
I think there seems to be some confusion in this thread on the distinction between frumpy, defined as
Quote:
dull, plain, or unfashionable.
and slovenly :
Quote:
negligent of neatness especially in dress and person; habitually dirty and unkempt.

Frumpy types don't bother me. I avoid slovenly people.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:24 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,025,187 times
Good distinction, plaidmom. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty