Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 03:34 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,744,615 times

Advertisements

Has any one here tried using an epilator for hair removal? Anyone use them regularly?

I'm tired of having to shave every day for my legs to be smooth, and also want to get rid of arm hair. Tried waxing, didn't find it to be too painful, but I don't like having to wait for growth in between waxes.

So, what are you thoughts on epilators? Any specific ones you'd recommend? Does it hurt worse than waxing? How long does hair have to be for them to work? Is it true that it's more common in Europe (not sure why, but knowing that women somewhere in the world use them makes it seem less insane-- because rapidly tweezing out hairs DOES seem insane, lol!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 03:43 AM

285 posts, read 928,235 times
Hi DNaomi,

This may seem odd, a guy posting about epilation But I use one regularly and I like the results. I had grown into a real dislike for body hair.

Painful? For me it was the first time but it has gotten easier as time passes now it doesn't even bother me. As far as waxing comparison I don't have any waxing experiences. I can imaging waxing would be more painful do to the fact that the wax is also pulling on the skin as well as the hair.

I have the Braun Silk Epil model 5270. The accessories you also get a electric shave groomer with a trim length attachment. It is also corded so you can't be too far from a receptical to plug it in. I have read the review on this model and that is why I went with this model brand. I purchased the second machine though Amazon.com. I am very pleased with this brand of performance. and this is what I recommend. There is a pretty good cost for them.

Being a guy and the volume of hair I have removed I give my machines a good work out. I'm on machine #2. I have be doing epilation for about 2-3 years. Right now I epilate legs and arms. Hair length for epilation is about 1/4". As far as regrowth, I get a good regowth in 7-10 days, but I'm a guy and hair likes to grow on guys...results for you will be different.

If you have any questions please ask. I tried to give you as much info as I could. There is always something missed.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:05 AM

9,904 posts, read 13,910,618 times
I have one, I think I've used it twice. I really don't have the patience for it AND I find it painful.

Waxing is painful but it's quick and then it's over and I think, because I get someone else to do the waxing, it's just easier somehow.

The only reason I have it is because my aunt bought it thinking she might use it but she only managed it once or twice and passed it on to me.

Not my preferred choice of hair removal.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:08 AM

220 posts, read 1,109,994 times
I have a Panasonic epilator you can use wet or dry. It's OK. I don't think it's particularly painful, but for me the ingrown hairs are more of a concern. Even though I exfoliate regularly I still had problems with ingrown hairs. I don't like the red bumps on my legs so I gave up using it. I used it under my arms with more success except that it was painful but no more so than waxing.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:50 AM

105 posts, read 287,066 times
I use one regularly. At first it hurt about as much as waxing, but I found that over time it hurt less. My hair grows pretty fast so I use it weekly. I like the results. The hair is sparser, and it seems to take longer to grow. I don't think it takes any longer than waxing, especially after you get used to it. I have a Braun, I believe. The growth doesn't need to be nearly as long as for waxing. One of the reasons I do use it every week is because the hair grows back at different times, and I can grab out those hairs that are showing, rather than having to wait for all the hair to grow back, like in waxing.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:58 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,224,560 times
I have an Epilady, I've been using it for a few years now. It hurts like hell at first, but then if you do it every week or two, there's less hair so less pain. Whatever you do, don't let it all the hair grow back in for the winter, 'cause then it'll hurt like hell all over again next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty