Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 10:00 AM

562 posts, read 2,404,942 times

Advertisements

Polyvinylchloride- that sound like the usual suspect Her deoderant and cell phone are probably more dangerous, but its good to know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,637 times
Pfft.. Hot Topic is almost dead to me anyways. they are trying to rip off the Lolita Fashion. I mean if you are going to try to get in on the Gothic Lolita Fashion at least do it right. There is a dress there that is a sad attempt at something I would see on bodyline or Baby, The Stars Shine Bright. They don't even sale the panniers or blouses to go with their jumper-skirts. Really pathetic but they do make good panniers and some Lolita Shoes.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:24 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,816,265 times
As pitt_transplant said, it's in the dye, and in a lot of other things you use all the time. Lead is a metal that exists throughout your world. California has nothing better to do with their time, and apparently would prefer to waste money on ridiculous mommy-controls rather than educate their children. And so they require testing on things that don't need to be tested, and then they require labels on things that have been tested to show the consumer information that has absolutely no bearing on their lives.

The manufacturers don't want to have to make two sets of the exact same clothes - one for California, one for everywhere else. So they just make them all with those stupid labels, and instruct the receiving store outside of California to cut the labels off.

Next thing you know, California will be making second-hand clothing stores illegal because they can't provide testing for used clothing to prove exactly how much lead is in their garments.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:05 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,221,051 times
It's because of California's Proposition 65. There's a law that says that tag has to be on the clothing if it's sold in CA. There are Prop 65 signs and warning all over the state. My favorites are the ones at the bottoms of menus telling you what you want most for lunch could cause cancer.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:04 PM

19,736 posts, read 20,292,914 times
hahahhahahha, Hot Topic hahahahhahahha...

Old 03-09-2011, 02:09 PM

230 posts, read 622,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
Wow...I last shopped at the Ingram location...what a coincidence.

I just checked my shirt and I didn't find anything with such a warning on it. So I'm good.
I don't believe florida requires labeling of dangerous compounds like california does.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:17 PM

Plastic and dyes from China that are used in clothing in the United States are very rarely tested for contamination. It is very wise to stay away from clothing containing PVC, especially clothing bought for children. PVC can leach some very dangerous toxins and California is considering an outright ban on it.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
As pitt_transplant said, it's in the dye, and in a lot of other things you use all the time. Lead is a metal that exists throughout your world. California has nothing better to do with their time, and apparently would prefer to waste money on ridiculous mommy-controls rather than educate their children. And so they require testing on things that don't need to be tested, and then they require labels on things that have been tested to show the consumer information that has absolutely no bearing on their lives.

The manufacturers don't want to have to make two sets of the exact same clothes - one for California, one for everywhere else. So they just make them all with those stupid labels, and instruct the receiving store outside of California to cut the labels off.

Next thing you know, California will be making second-hand clothing stores illegal because they can't provide testing for used clothing to prove exactly how much lead is in their garments.
Wrong.

California is smartly monitoring the plastics that are being used to structure and enhance garments. It's not just the dye that's dangerous. Polyvinyl chloride is a vinyl polymer that has been banned from the interiors of some car brands because it is toxic when exposed to skin!

As a fabric buyer, I wouldn't ever suggest it for a collection. I'm glad there is a state out there that is educating consumers about the products that they are buying.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:50 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,206,691 times
OP, are you in California? They have a law the requires warning labels on things there that other states don't. In other words, you might be able to buy the exact same thing in another state without the warning label. It probably isn't anything to worry about (no more than a lot of other things in our environment, at least). I am kind of that we're discussing labeling of CHILDREN'S clothing and a label found on a garment described as: "80% Polyvinylchloride, 20% Polyurethane" The logo on the tag: appropriately enough....a skull with red bat or vampire wings on each side! It zips up the back and the corset laces up the front. The bodice is black velvet with black lace trim, and the corset part is vinyl, also with black lace overlay. There is boning, but of course,"

Old 03-16-2011, 01:38 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,399,965 times
Ummm...pencils contain lead.

Just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty